Oline Discussion

I have been surprised how people see our Oline. It is night and day different. A lot of people, and I can’t blame them, think that Schwartz is near elite, Fisher is solid, LDT is well above average and Morse is a stud.

But why is our line so bad? With no injuries PFF ranked us as the #17 line going into last season. I think that was optimistic. On a scale from 1-10 how do you perceive these guys. And injuries matter when you are thinking about replacements/depth. Me:

Fisher 7

Schwartz 6

LDT 5

Morse 4

Ehinger 3

Witz 3

Fulton 3

Erving 3

I have been surprised how people see our Oline. It is night and day different. A lot of people, and I can’t blame them, think that Schwartz is near elite, Fisher is solid, LDT is well above average and Morse is a stud.

But why is our line so bad? With no injuries PFF ranked us as the #17 line going into last season. I think that was optimistic. On a scale from 1-10 how do you perceive these guys. And injuries matter when you are thinking about replacements/depth. Me:

Fisher 7

Schwartz 6

LDT 5

Morse 4

Ehinger 3

Witz 3

Fulton 3

Erving 3

Having a QB that doesn't see ghosts, actually has guts, and will not abandon clean pockets, should do wonders for our OL ranking.  

I'd say:

Fisher 7

Schwartz 8

Morse 7

Fulton C 6 G 5

LDT 9

Witz 4

Ehringer Unknown as they didn't let him see the field, but in 2016 5

Erving G 1 T 4

Having a QB that doesn't see ghosts, actually has guts, and will not abandon clean pockets, should do wonders for our OL ranking.

I'd say:

Fisher 7

Schwartz 8

Morse 7

Fulton C 6 G 5

LDT 9

Witz 4

Ehringer Unknown as they didn't let him see the field, but in 2016 5

Erving G 1 T 4

Agree. The QB will make all the difference in the world up front. Was so frustrating to watch Alex do a 5 step drop from the shotgun...before people get bent out of shape, I'm exaggerating. Not by much though. ????

I’ve never understood it either...Chiefs were basically top 5 in both run and pass yards...that doesn’t happen with an oline as bad as everyone pretends it is. People on this board are so convinced that our oline is the worse thing in NFL history that they haven’t seen the strides that have been made. And most all these guys are still young and getting better. Being in the AFC West we face the nastiest groups of pass rushers in the league...and still win. We point the blame all the time for our losses...but it really never seems to be pointed at the online. Face it...our oline is serviceable and not a huge need at this time. It’s not that bad compared to many others...

Fisher 6.5 slightly above replacement level. Can still get stronger.

Witzmann 3 if he starts again I won’t be happy

Morse 8 (when healthy which is rare)

LDT 6 a lot of upside still, yet to sustain play level of his contract

Schwartz 8 one of the leagues better right tackles.

Fulton 5. Can’t play guard a lick so why keep him

Erving (G) 3. Major upside but a complete reclamation project

Even though most of our linemen do well on both aspects of the offense at different times most aren't consistent. 

Fisher: 4

Ehiringer: 1

Morse: 7

LDT: 6

Schwartz: 8

Weitzman: 1

Fulton (OG): 1
Fulton (OC): 4
Erving: 3

The problem with our fatties is that as a unit they are either good in the run or pass in a single game but never both. QB change will obviously help and I think we'll be able to judge the OL better in 2018.

Fisher 6.5 slightly above replacement level. Can still get stronger.

Witzmann 3 if he starts again I won’t be happy

Morse 8 (when healthy which is rare)

LDT 6 a lot of upside still, yet to sustain play level of his contract

Schwartz 8 one of the leagues better right tackles.

Fulton 5. Can’t play guard a lick so why keep him

Erving (G) 3. Major upside but a complete reclamation project

Hard for anyone to sustain the play level of their contract if it was a contract Dorsey wrote up. He handed out millions like they were pamphlets about prostate cancer. He simply took it to the next level in LDTs case. He paid the guy before he had even played a full season of above average football.

The guy is bordeline dominant at times and if he stays healthy I think he will turn into a pro bowl caliber player, but thats usually the point when you would give a player a 42 million dollar extension. He would have been an unrestricted free agent this offseason and could probably have been signed for less than half that.

What sucks is theres probably a good chance we have to attack LG in the draft because we have so much mobey already tied up in that positiin group. I dont know how they could justify giving out another big FA contract to a LG with 123 million dollars worth of salary already invested in 3 members of our line. Although Eric Fisher does have an opt out after this season with a 5.1 million dollar dead cap number.

I truly believe we're one quality LG away from having one of the top O-lines. It was solid last season but when you have an average player like Witzman in there then of course it's not gonna be consistent. Fisher, Morse, LDT and Schwartz's level of play would go up a notch if they finally have an LG they can trust alongside them imo. Pat being In there could also do wonders aswell.

I truly believe we're one quality LG away from having one of the top O-lines. It was solid last season but when you have an average player like Witzman in there then of course it's not gonna be consistent. Fisher, Morse, LDT and Schwartz's level of play would go up a notch if they finally have an LG they can trust alongside them imo. Pat being In there could also do wonders aswell.

Fisher has mostly been a roller coaster but I think the primary reason is the lack of a decent LG next to him. Basically the left side of the line is the worse part and a good LG could change that instantly while making Fisher a better player. That's why I'm leaning towards spending some money in FA since day one starters with the highest pick being late 2nd isn't always a sure thing and teams have been investing higher picks at OL.

It is interesting that people think LDT and Schwartz are so good.  I don't know where Schwartz graded out as top three.

via Pro Football Focus

Mitchell Schwartz

1083 snaps, 3 sacks, 3 hits, 27 hurries

33 total pressures allowed in the regular season was 25th amount 55 qualifying tackles in the NFL.

Eric Fisher

1017 snaps, 4 sacks, 4 hits, 34 hurries

41 total pressures allowed in regular season was 41st amount 55 qualifying tackles in the NFL.

These guys are our best linemen for sure. They are very durable, pretty average in talent. 

It is interesting that people think LDT and Schwartz are so good.  I don't know where Schwartz graded out as top three.

via Pro Football Focus

Mitchell Schwartz

33 total pressures allowed in the regular season was 25th amount 55 qualifying tackles in the NFL.

Eric Fisher

41 total pressures allowed in regular season was 41st amount 55 qualifying tackles in the NFL.

These guys are our best linemen for sure. They are very durable, pretty average in talent. 

How do they define a pressure, or a hurry?   Is it when a QB leaves the pocket?   Sees something and starts to move?  Because a pressure on Alex Smith isn't a pressure on many other QB's.  Even hits, and sacks, are very dependent on the QB, rather then the individual linemen in many cases.  If a player(s) gets right by a lineman, that's on the lineman, otherwise a lot of it isn't.  

That is a good question. I would expect they watch the lineman for when he allows the defender to get by.

If Smith takes off from a clean pocket, who would you decide to the give the pressure allowed to.

I think we have to assume that is the case.

It is hard to blame pressures on Alex. He has one of the quickest release times in the league. He often runs before there is a pressure allowed.

If anything, these numbers are probably low because of it. I don’t know what we are going to do now that we don’t have Alex the blame for everything. Poor Andy and Bob have to carry the whole load I guess.

It is hard to blame pressures on Alex. He has one of the quickest release times in the league. He often runs before there is a pressure allowed.

If anything, these numbers are probably low because of it. I don’t know what we are going to do now that we don’t have Alex the blame for everything. Poor Andy and Bob have to carry the whole load I guess.

We are going to know the true quality of the OL, and WR's, IMO.   Alex had a great year, the very top of what he's capable of doing.   And even in that, there were so many times he would still do Alex Smith things.  Panic when there was no reason to.  Not notice a streaking receiver alone deep, etc.   The QB skews everything, favorably or unfavorably.  

I'll never forget the Pats OL as the greatest example.   Brady would get sacked 10-20 times a year, the Pats OL was thought to be great.   Then the 1 year Cassel had to play, he was sacked 40+ times I believe.   Did the OL suddenly get bad?   Then the next year, Brady was sacked the same 10-20.   Did they get good again?  

Same with WR's.   Some QB's limit them, some QB's make every WR they play with look great.  

I think Mahomes will do a lot for the WR. I still don’t think we are going to start pounding out 3rd and 2 or 1st and goal. We are lucky to have Hunt. 77 forced missed tackles. By far the best in the league. If we could get our line in order, thus offense can be deadly.

Lets see which running backs we keep and then I'll say if we should pound it or not. Mahomes is going to have to do his share of moving out of the pocket but I think after he completes some 50 yard passes on the run other teams will be trying to keep him in the pocket. 

It is interesting that people think LDT and Schwartz are so good. I don't know where Schwartz graded out as top three.

via Pro Football Focus

Mitchell Schwartz

Eric Fisher

Here’s how- von Miller, kalhil Mack, Bosa, no sacks against Schwartz.

Rewatch a little tape against the elites. He owned them

Archived