Oline Discussion

ame="Mloe68" post="137781" timestamp="1519109689"]

Hard for anyone to sustain the play level of their contract if it was a contract Dorsey wrote up. He handed out millions like they were pamphlets about prostate cancer. He simply took it to the next level in LDTs case. He paid the guy before he had even played a full season of above average football.

The guy is bordeline dominant at times and if he stays healthy I think he will turn into a pro bowl caliber player, but thats usually the point when you would give a player a 42 million dollar extension. He would have been an unrestricted free agent this offseason and could probably have been signed for less than half that.

What sucks is theres probably a good chance we have to attack LG in the draft because we have so much mobey already tied up in that positiin group. I dont know how they could justify giving out another big FA contract to a LG with 123 million dollars worth of salary already invested in 3 members of our line. Although Eric Fisher does have an opt out after this season with a 5.1 million dollar dead cap number.

Agree we are already overpaying oline so paying big money for a guard is unlikely. We’ve got to do something more than throw late round picks or trade for over the hill types as we’ve largely done the last 5 years. Draft a guy on day two and I’ll be happy. Just make honest effort to fill this gaping hole.

Sitton was released. I know he is 31 but he is a guard. I would bring him in to develop behind him if they feel Witzmann is not at all ready. Big guard at 320 pounds

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22514058/chicago-bears-release-jerrell-freeman-decline-option-josh-sitton

Dudes a stud. Graded out as 5th highest guard in NFL last year. I also posted the link 4 posts up. Quit stealing my thunder.

Veach wants to get younger. supposedly Sitton, or Cushing, or any 30+ year old would fly in the face of that. I hope the article on Veach wanting to get younger is 100% true, and he rejects any of those type of signings.

Offensive line is a different game. Roaf came to us at 32 and gave us 4 pro bowl years. Shields played until 35. Sutton may have 3 or 4 more years left and can help solidify the left guard. For the right price I would like this move if anything to draft and develop behind him for a few years. Look how he graded out last year if you are worried about performance.

Seems odd to me. Why would a team flush with cash not keep a Pro Bowl guard over 8 million?

Does not make sense to have a hole but found this article on the release. Funny they mentioned Fulton in it. God I hope they sign him for a ton so we can get a good comp pick.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/josh-sitton-released-cut-ryan-pace-harry-hiestand-quenton-nelson-zach-fulton

Offensive line is a different game. Roaf came to us at 32 and gave us 4 pro bowl years. Shields played until 35. Sutton may have 3 or 4 more years left and can help solidify the left guard. For the right price I would like this move if anything to draft and develop behind him for a few years. Look how he graded out last year if you are worried about performance.

I'm not worried about his performance, I'm worried about his age, recent injuries, which could be a product of age, and wasting money on aged players, rather than young, core players.  Getting Roaf was under a different philosophy under DV, that didn't care about age, and was only interested in short term gratification.  

LG is our only OL weakness.   I'm not that worried about it, and I wouldn't spend much on it, considering we're already spending alot on 2 positions on the OL, and will likely have to pony up a decent amount for Morse soon. 

Sitton is for a different philosophy.  Not saying he's not a good player, but he's not a good player for us, if Veach is actually trying to get us younger.  If some of my worst fears come to fruition, and Andy, who loves vets, is calling the shots, without a filter, then Sitton would be someone we'd sign.  I sure hope not.  

Does not make sense to have a hole but found this article on the release. Funny they mentioned Fulton in it. God I hope they sign him for a ton so we can get a good comp pick.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/josh-sitton-released-cut-ryan-pace-harry-hiestand-quenton-nelson-zach-fulton

Agreed.  Fulton, like Wilson, is a pretty decent player, but his greatest value to the Chiefs going forward could be the comp pick he'll bring, if he gets enough elsewhere.  

It is interesting that people think LDT and Schwartz are so good. I don't know where Schwartz graded out as top three.

via Pro Football Focus

Mitchell Schwartz

1083 snaps, 3 sacks, 3 hits, 27 hurries

33 total pressures allowed in the regular season was 25th amount 55 qualifying tackles in the NFL.

Eric Fisher

1017 snaps, 4 sacks, 4 hits, 34 hurries

41 total pressures allowed in regular season was 41st amount 55 qualifying tackles in the NFL.

These guys are our best linemen for sure. They are very durable, pretty average in talent.

Does PFF consider who our oline has to face off with? We face probably the best pass rush deivision in football so that's 6 games against the best along with the Eagles etc. Those guys are better than 25th and 41st.

I'm not worried about his performance, I'm worried about his age, recent injuries, which could be a product of age, and wasting money on aged players, rather than young, core players.  Getting Roaf was under a different philosophy under DV, that didn't care about age, and was only interested in short term gratification.  

LG is our only OL weakness.   I'm not that worried about it, and I wouldn't spend much on it, considering we're already spending alot on 2 positions on the OL, and will likely have to pony up a decent amount for Morse soon. 

Sitton is for a different philosophy.  Not saying he's not a good player, but he's not a good player for us, if Veach is actually trying to get us younger.  If some of my worst fears come to fruition, and Andy, who loves vets, is calling the shots, without a filter, then Sitton would be someone we'd sign.  I sure hope not.  

Adding a proven vet could help us get younger as he basically helps improve the youngsters around him and once they get to a top level we could replace the veteran with a youngster. It's an ongoing process throughout the line. I don't know if Sitton is that type of a vet or right for our system but I wouldn't mind adding a veteran to the OL to elevate the young group. Besides 31 at OL isn't the same with 31 at any other position.

Does PFF consider who our oline has to face off with? We face probably the best pass rush deivision in football so that's 6 games against the best along with the Eagles etc. Those guys are better than 25th and 41st.

I agree. I think both are above average and durable as hell.

How much would Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh cost us In FA? And is it realistic? Because imo unless we manage to draft Hernandez or Wynn, getting one of those should be a priority. Seeing us finally have a solid LG to go with the other guys on the line would be brilliant to see. If we intend to go far next season then neglecting this area of the team would be foolhardy.

We are #11 in Oline spending. I would not be opposed to spending big money on a FA as long as it doesn’t cost us a stud pass rusher or D lineman. If all that is available is a Norwell, go for it. Try to hit on some players in the draft for pass rush and D line.

How much would Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh cost us In FA? And is it realistic? Because imo unless we manage to draft Hernandez or Wynn, getting one of those should be a priority. Seeing us finally have a solid LG to go with the other guys on the line would be brilliant to see. If we intend to go far next season then neglecting this area of the team would be foolhardy.

Norwell will certainly get 12-13 avg a year. He's top 5 in run and pass blocking and probably has room to still grow.

Pugh will be more tricky to gauge.

We're already paying a Guard top 10-15 money in LDT.   That's enough.  Norwell will get top 5 Guard money.  No way would I pay that much for the position.  Guard is the least important position on Offense, besides FB.   Can't tie up too much capital on that position.  

We're already paying a Guard top 10-15 money in LDT. That's enough. Norwell will get top 5 Guard money. No way would I pay that much for the position. Guard is the least important position on Offense, besides FB. Can't tie up too much capital on that position.

I agree. That money is better spent on defense or hell WR if we really want to spend on offense.

Archived