Dee Ford Article. Cut or keep?

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/2/22/17041350/what-should-the-chiefs-do-with-dee-ford

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Danny Kelly of the The Ringer put out an interesting article titled, “The 2014 NFL Draft Class Is Ready for Its Second Act,” Thursday morning.

One of the players Kelly mentions is linebacker Dee Ford, who the Chiefs selected with the No. 23 overall pick in the 2014 draft.

Kelly writes:

The former Auburn Tiger broke out in 2016 with a 10-sack season, but missed the team’s final 10 games last season with a back injury, and the status of his fifth-year option (which the team picked up last year) comes into focus over the next few weeks. If Ford can pass his physical, Kansas City may decide to rescind that option and let him hit free agency.

While Ford did break out with a 10-sack season in ‘16, it is critical to recall that most of these sacks, nine of them to be exact, came within a six-game stretch.

Ford had more sacks in those six games (9.0) than the rest of his career combined—8.5 in 45 games.

It’s also important to note here that sacks don’t necessarily equate to edge rusher success. Justin Houston is still one of the better pass rushers in the league despite his sack numbers (9.5) being a little bit down for him personally last season.

But the Ford statistics are troubling. And you hate to say this about a player, especially one you drafted in the first round, but he cannot stay healthy on the field.

Ford discussed how he had overtrained in the past prior to the 2016 season and that it affected the way his body performed later on in the year. And though he said then that 2016 would be different, he never recorded a sack after Week 10 against the Carolina Panthers.

In 2017, back issues kept Ford off the field from Week 8 forward and the Chiefs placed him on Injured Reserve in early December.

Now there is a matter of the physical next month. If Ford passes, the Chiefs have an $8.7 million option for 2018, which would be a contract year. If Ford fails, he stays anyway.

If the Chiefs wind up having a choice, there are also other options to consider at right outside linebacker. The Chiefs have yet to cut 34-year-old Tamba Hali, Frank Zombo has filled in for Ford before and we don’t know what Tanoh Kpssagnon will look like come training camp.

So what’s the call?

First two weeks of the season before he got hurt he had a big sack and a FF against the Eagles and Patriots. He's a liability as a run defender but can make the 1-2 plays in a game that makes a difference. He should be brought back and because of his back I wouldn't resign him. Have another 10 sack year and get us a 3rd round comp pick. 

Maybe Ford needs to play on the left side. Move Houston to the right. Houston's best days as a pass rusher are behind him. He's a 10-12 sack guy per year. 

Ford needs to play against RTs.

if we could only get Ford to be Houston on a down year 

I am worried about Ford sealing the edge and picking up the TE or RB playing the strong side. But maybe that is something to try out.

Houston could easily rebound. He will lead the team in sacks this year with 12 or 14 is what my gut tells me. I think he can still ball.

I think most of you are missing the point.  What benefit does Dee Ford get by passing that physical?  The ability to be cut and probably then look to sign a prove it deal that may or may not be worth 9 million.    He can fail the physical forcing the Chiefs to retain him and play out the same year making 9 million in a prove it season.

He's not going anywhere, we can only hope he gets healthy and plays lights out this year.

I hope he does. Outside of a 6 game stretch where he blew it up. He has been a poor man’s Zombo. Holy shit, that is bad. Now if he can repeat that 6 game stretch over a season and get 9 sacks with some pressures. He could earn himself a contract in FA. But a one trick pony has to make that trick pretty damn desirable.

Maybe 9 will do it, but I would want 14 on my resume from the year before to pull teams in. I hope he is crazy hungry.

Maybe Ford needs to play on the left side. Move Houston to the right. Houston's best days as a pass rusher are behind him. He's a 10-12 sack guy per year. 

Ford needs to play against RTs.

Expecting 20 sacks when he drops into coverage 40% of the time ain't happening.

Expecting 20 sacks in general is unrealistic.

If you’re going to see constant double teams in obvious passing downs because nobody else can rush passed, it’s goibg to lead to more coverage.

If we are able to rescind the offer I'm in favor of replacing him in FA. However looks like we are stuck with that contract due to his injury in which case we should simply accept the situation and hope that he does well this year to at least get us a comp. pick in 2019. I definitely want another realistic option though if KPass isn't the guy.

He doesn’t drop into coverage 40% of the time. And I don’t expect 20 sacks.

Houston is fine, I agree with you. He will have a good year. And stays on the left.

If you’re going to see constant double teams in obvious passing downs because nobody else can rush passed, it’s goibg to lead to more coverage.

Most of them he time I saw Houston handled one on one. With some blatant holding thrown in that I am not sure was ever called.

Archived