This Would Be A Shame

Some of our best players over the years had "character issues", and were only available to us in the draft where we took them due to those issues.   IF TRUE, just another reason to hold Clark in more contempt then I already do.  

La Canfora: Chiefs may be 'at their limit' with character issues CBS Sports reporter Jason La Canfora has been a familiar name to Chiefs fans this week, considering he was the second reporter after Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk who wrote

CBS Sports reporter Jason La Canfora has been a familiar name to Chiefs fans this week, considering he was the second reporter after Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk who wrote about the possibility of cornerback Marcus Peters' future with the Kansas City Chiefs being in question. La Canfora joined The Morning Show on 950 AM KJR in Seattle Thursday, where he spoke about the Peters issue and along the way made an interesting comment about a possible direction of the Chiefs' decision making down the line. 

6_8104555.jpgChiefs Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt (Photo: Kirby Lee, USA TODAY Sports)

La Canfora didn't say much that hasn't already been said or reported about a possible Peters trade in general, but he did opine that the Chiefs may be in the process of moving away from players with character issues, which was a red flag surrounding Peters when he entered the draft in 2015 out of the University of Washington. Peters was a selection of then-general manager John Dorsey and wasn't the only player with character questions to be selected under Dorsey's watch. With Brett Veach now in place as general manager after Dorsey and the Chiefs parted ways over the summer, La Canfora thinks the team might be moving away from making such moves in the future.

Below is La Canfora's full quote on that topic:

Peters and Hill have followed the types of different paths La Canfora mentioned in the quote above. Peters came into the draft with some questions about his temperament after multiple incidents in college, the most noteworthy being his dismissal from the team during his 2014 season at Washington, while Hill was a prospect surrounded in controversy due to an ugly domestic violence incident that wound up getting him dismissed from his team at Oklahoma State. Hill has so far taken his second chance and run with it, while Peters has obviously created some extra headlines with some of the behavior he's shown during gameday. 

"They took a lot of character risks there under John Dorsey. John Dorsey's not there anymore. Some things he inherited from (Scott) Pioli and prior regimes, but he was not afraid to go out there and bring in some of these guys who have different personalities, who might not be the greatest guys in the world in the locker room. Tyreek Hill, look at his college situation. It's not isolated. That was sort of part of what they were doing there was finding value in some guys where the talent far exceeds where you're going to be able to get them if you strip away character, red flags, off-field, all that stuff.

"Now, obviously nothing happens in a vacuum and you can't strip that stuff away, and sometimes guys grow up and mature and stay on a linear path where they put their college years behind them, and other guys have things that flare up. It's impossible to predict. It's part of the reason why the draft is so inexact. But I get the sense they have kind of reached their limit with that kind of stuff there in Kansas City and that now with Brett Veach and Andy Reid making the decisions, I don't know that they're going to take some of those risks."

Coaches and general managers commonly speak to reporters during the NFL Scouting Combine, so perhaps we'll hear from Andy Reid and Brett Veach on these issues sometime during the event next week (Feb. 27-March 5). La Canfora still thinks other teams could ask about Peters once the Combine begins; his full quote on that from today's radio appearance can be seen below.

"(Peters) raised some red flags obviously coming into the draft. He's been a tremendous player, an absolute playmaker, although he did struggle in the first half of this past season. Obviously a turnover producing machine. But some of those character issues started to manifest themselves this year, and it did not go unnoticed by owner Clark Hunt, from what I'm told. Now will it manifest themselves in a trade? I don't know. I'd certainly say it's not entirely out of the question. There'll be teams asking about him and sniffing around on him a little bit when everybody gets to Indianapolis in five days or whatever it is, early next week, and we'll see. They've certainly done a lot of work on corners and have fortified themselves at that position and they've made some significant changes on the defensive side of the ball already with letting some older players go.

"We'll have to see. Some of the stuff last year towards the end of the season -- thinking he's ejected when he isn't, giving his equipment away, coming back on the field, not able to actually get back in the game because he's missing a sock and a shoe, or whatever else was going on there. It got a little off the rails there. He is a player other teams are going to probe around on because there is an assumption in some other front offices that there could be a little smoke there."

There is a tipping point at which any team that adds to many questionable characters will go south. We saw it here big time in 1998. Veach needs to be very cognicent of it as we saw Peters immaturity start to rub off on the rest of that secondary. It’s almost certainly why Andy had to suspend Peters before our biggest game of the season. This isn’t news. We are going to have a very young team next year and the locker room influences are massively important. We do not want to become the Bengals.

There is a tipping point at which any team that adds to many questionable characters will go south. We saw it here big time in 1998. Veach needs to be very cognicent of it as we saw Peters immaturity start to rub off on the rest of that secondary. It’s almost certainly why Andy had to suspend Peters before our biggest game of the season. This isn’t news. We do not want to become the Bengals.

Exactly. Gotta have boundaries in place. Consider also that we have no idea what type of player Peters has been in the locker room. I have a feeling we’re gonna find out in the coming weeks.

There is a tipping point at which any team that adds to many questionable characters will go south. We saw it here big time in 1998. Veach needs to be very cognicent of it as we saw Peters immaturity start to rub off on the rest of that secondary. It’s almost certainly why Andy had to suspend Peters before our biggest game of the season. This isn’t news. We are going to have a very young team next year and the locker room influences are massively important. We do not want to become the Bengals.

I’m sorry, I missed seeing Peters’ “immaturity” rub off on the rest of the secondary. Please elaborate.

FYI - the word is cognizant

Hold Clark in contempt? Sure looks to me like an owner deferring to his gm, and letting him do his job. He did it with Dorsey, and he’s doing it with Veach. Veach obviously has a very different philosophy than Dorsey. If Veach wants to steer away from guys with character questions, I see now issue. This isn’t a guy who was bringing in character issue guys then suddenly changed course after years of precedence, this is a guy in his first full offseason as gm and he has the right to pave his own way. Nothing hypocritical here.

I agree, as long as the number is limited the locker room culture basically fixes issues regarding some guys. Otherwise the entire place turns to Jail Blazers. We brought Houston who turned out fine but over the last 3 years Peters and Hill have been added with huge question marks. Both of them should be on very short leashes and looks like Hill learned his lesson but still I think Chiefs are at the tipping point and should avoid such character issues early on. 

Hold Clark in contempt? Sure looks to me like an owner deferring to his gm, and letting him do his job. He did it with Dorsey, and he’s doing it with Veach. Veach obviously has a very different philosophy than Dorsey. If Veach wants to steer away from guys with character questions, I see now issue. This isn’t a guy who was bringing in character issue guys then suddenly changed course after years of precedence, this is a guy in his first full offseason as gm and he has the right to pave his own way. Nothing hypocritical here.

"What do you mean this owner is supportive of his new GM not wanting players with character issues on his roster????That's a real shame!!!"

Lmfao. 

Peters is a diva......does anyone dispute that?  Why would Clark want to pay him big money only to watch him embarrass the team again?  The smart move would be to trade him now while he still has some trade value.

Or.........possibly watch him bolt in free agency in two years and get nothing.  

Yes, he is a ball hawk.  But he gets burned deep on the jump ball............his tackling/effort seems to be waning...........and he plays ten yards off his man 90% of the time.

Trade him if the price is right and don't look back.  One man doesn't make a team!

If he is traded then it is more to it than we are seeing. You do not create a hole by hoping to fill it with an unknown in the draft. We have him this and next year. Tag him the 3rd and even 4th year if you must be we can control him for quite a few years to develop behind him if necessary. Those saying trade him now will be the ones bitching if his replacement is far worse. I do believe he plays 10 yards off also because thst is what Sutton wants from his CBs, which infuriates me.

Exactly. Gotta have boundaries in place. Consider also that we have no idea what type of player Peters has been in the locker room. I have a feeling we’re gonna find out in the coming weeks.

But didn't his teammates come out and back him when he got that one game suspension? Ooops, I almost forgot who just made this post, never mind. 

If it was stated/reported by a local media member then I would be more likely to believe.

Jason La Canfora is about as far away from KC sports as you can possibly be AND he has a huge grudge against the Royals for knocking his Orioles out of the playoffs in 2014.

"Character issues" is a wide spectrum. 

But didn't his teammates come out and back him when he got that one game suspension? Ooops, I almost forgot who just made this post, never mind.

As well they should have. You seem to forget that Andy Reid - the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs - suspended Marcus Peters one game for his conduct. So there obviously was some line that Peters crossed. You choose to ignore it because it doesn’t fit your racially bias narrative that Peters is somehow being scrutinized for his behavior because he’s black and he sat for the anthem. As a fan of the Chiefs, I couldn’t care less about either; the anthem thing didn’t get me riled up, even though I believe differently than the players because my family and friends have served.

Now you’re free to believe whatever you want - as wrong as you are - but it doesn’t change the fact that Marcus Peters crossed a boundary in the eyes of his head coach and was disciplined for it. And we as fans truly don’t know the half of it. So at the end of the day, it is what it is. But you can keep acting like Marcus Peters has been some model football player for the Chiefs; his on-the-field behavior says otherwise. Because in the business world - whether the NFL or corporate America - publicly embarrassing your boss typically doesn’t go over so well. And that’s what this entire thing is all about. End of story.

If he is traded then it is more to it than we are seeing. You do not create a hole by hoping to fill it with an unknown in the draft. We have him this and next year. Tag him the 3rd and even 4th year if you must be we can control him for quite a few years to develop behind him if necessary. Those saying trade him now will be the ones bitching if his replacement is far worse. I do believe he plays 10 yards off also because thst is what Sutton wants from his CBs, which infuriates me.

I never really saw the other CB playing 10 yds off.  My opinion is that Peters is more reputation than skilled; at least from what I saw last year.  I watched every game and even replayed most games, so I know what I saw which was a CB who loses jump balls down field and someone who tackled as a last necessity.  A CB who is tagged will probably be paid 15 million per.............you really think Peters is worth that?  I sure as hell don't!

Peters is a diva......does anyone dispute that?  Why would Clark want to pay him big money only to watch him embarrass the team again?  The smart move would be to trade him now while he still has some trade value.

Or.........possibly watch him bolt in free agency in two years and get nothing.  

Yes, he is a ball hawk.  But he gets burned deep on the jump ball............his tackling/effort seems to be waning...........and he plays ten yards off his man 90% of the time.

Trade him if the price is right and don't look back.  One man doesn't make a team!

If those are actually correct and remain so then we would be able to extend Peters for about 5 million per year, in which case I would love to keep him in town until he retires. 

So our favorite reporter LaConfora states that the chiefs "at their limit" when it comes to players with character issues.  Did I miss the memo where we had a team full of character issues?  I can only think of two players on this team that have EVER showed character issues.  Peters and Kelce.  I could also argue that on the field, Kelce has done more to hurt the team than Peters with those issues.  I know this sparks debate, and I personally don't like it...but i'm not going to group Peters kneeling for the anthem in as a "character issue".  I just think its bad form to protest that way, but don't feel it impacts a person's character. 

All that aside, I think the chiefs are among the least cancerous teams in the league when it comes to all this drama, and any we do have seems to be drummed up by the media moreso than seen on the field.  From everything we hear, peters is LOVED by his players...hard to be a cancer when you hear stuff like that. 

I'm sorry....Florio and LaCanfora have always hated KC...they are just trying to pull stories out of their asses....although i'm a little perturbed that clark hasn't addressed this yet...

I don’t get the contempt for Clark Hunt statement, but whatever.

We have brought in some players with character question marks like Peters and Kelce and they have become regulars at the Pro Bowl.

We have brought in some guys without them like Miller and KPL. It depends on the person. This isn’t Bam Morris and Tamaric. I think we are fine.

Archived