Marcus Peters trade thread

It’s because 99% of us know it isn’t going to be enough. All politics and that other stuff aside, you have a young, top 3 CB that a team can have on the cheap for the next 3 seasons. If Marcus Peters could somehow be inserted into this year’s draft there is no doubt he’d be a top 3-5 player. We all know that to trade into the top 5 for a team like the rams who are at 23, they would be giving up multiple 1st rounders and probably at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder if not more. Every indication is that the Chiefs aren’t going to get anywhere near that.

I’m not saying this is fair, but I’ve been asked for the last week or two what I would ask for to trade MP if I was a GM. Personally, from a team like the rams that will most likely be picking in the 20s this year and next I’d be asking for 2018 1st/3rd and 2019 1st/2nd. I don’t care about the value chart. I see it as trading a young, cheap(for the next 3 years) player that for all purposes(barring health) will be in Canton one day. A team doesn’t get many of those. The Chiefs barely get one a decade. You don’t trade a once in a decade player that hasn’t even hit his prime yet for peanuts, and the fear is that with every passing hour that’s exactly what is going to happen...

Friendly reminder that we got a 3rd round pick and a CB that's very similar to Peters as far as youth and potential w/o the attitude for a game managing QB you can't win in the playoffs with.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we're going to like It, so they're holding off on reporting it until the heat dies down. We're going to get absolutely d*cked over on this. Veach started 1-0 v the Skins. Bout to go 1-1. Somebody mentioned a 3rd this year and a 3rd next. Just gut feeling, but hat sounds about right. Figured you'd get more for a future hall of famer in his prime. Again, all speculation, but expect the worst so you can be surprised to the upside if something better comes in...

This almost certainly wasn’t a Veach move. And when there’s almost no demand for a player, the compensation will unfortunately reflect that. A team with no second rounder, would probably go to extremes not to trade first rounder. That’s why I see a third as likely.

This is akin to ripping a band aid off. Painful, but you get it over with. What we know is Andy Reid has suspended two Pro Bowl players. In his career, and neither was on his team the next season.

Read an interesting article today (sorry can’t find it now to link) that Donald might be involved. Pure conjecture by the writer so not sure anyone should keep their hopes up. There were some valid points including, the Rams don’t have a lot of cap room either and have a ton of players up for renewed contracts. They also have a good pass rush even without Donald, A pass rushing DT is a luxury and maybe they feel they could use their $20M per year elsewhere. As we know we need pass rushers and along with Jones, the D Line suddenly gets MUCH BETTER. This trade has got to involve a player. If it just involved picks we would have heard already. Just my couple of pennies.

A lot of posts reference that we could have had Peters on the cheap fir 3 or 4 more years.

2018 is 1.7 mill (dirt cheap)

2019 is estimated to be 9 mill (optional year)

2020 is estimated to be more than 14 mill (franchise tag)

2021 is over over 17 mill

We only had one cheap year with him.

A lot of posts reference that we could have had Peters on the cheap fir 3 or 4 more years.

Exactly my thoughts.  The Chiefs wouldn't be able to resign Peters and thus would only be getting good value for this year and maybe 2019.  Better to save the $$$ and reload for the time Mahomes reaches his prime.  That's not to say the Chiefs are throwing away the next two seasons, but they may need to move Peters for locker room unity anyway so why not get something in return today?  If Peters was all that valuable, lots of teams would be bidding to trade for him.  Let's see the final deal before coming down on the staff.

Now you're talking crazy.????

Anyone who thinks tagging any player like this is a good idea, just doesn’t get it. Plus can you imagine potential distraction a guy like Peters would cause if he’s tagged? Once we decided the risk wasn’t worth the reward in signing him long term, he instantly became expendable. Fact we did it with a cheap year still left speaks volumes of an untenable relationship and you can certainly criticize Andy for that. But also consider reality Peters has played for two coaching staffs (between the NFL and College) and been jetisoned by both. Think it’s an Andy problem or a Peters problem? Pretty obvious what the most likely is.

This is insane we don't know the comp yet. Wonder the likelihood of it falling through if they are still negotiating?

Very odd. I’m fully expecting a third and some sort of conditional pick in 2019 but fact we still don’t know is really odd. I suppose it’s possible Peters is negotiating a long term extension which is part of this deal. I’ve heard rumblings that a team like Cleveland had little interest because they knew he’d never sign with them. Who’s going to give up multiple picks to have a guy for 2 seasons max.

Read an interesting article today (sorry can’t find it now to link) that Donald might be involved. Pure conjecture by the writer so not sure anyone should keep their hopes up. There were some valid points including, the Rams don’t have a lot of cap room either and have a ton of players up for renewed contracts. They also have a good pass rush even without Donald, A pass rushing DT is a luxury and maybe they feel they could use their $20M per year elsewhere. As we know we need pass rushers and along with Jones, the D Line suddenly gets MUCH BETTER. This trade has got to involve a player. If it just involved picks we would have heard already. Just my couple of pennies.

Rams are loaded with cap room:   http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

But I do think the holdup is that we are negotiating with a player, likely Quinn,(it WON"T be Donald) on an extension, and until that's done one way or the other, there can be no final accounting of draft choices.   Only logical explanation at this point.  Of course, that would fly in the face of the supposed Veach goal of Younger and faster, if we acquire and extend Quinn.  

What I don't understand is if we can't get a 1st rounder for him and the Rams don't have a 2nd then why are we settling for a 3rd? He is at least worth a 2nd to a team trying to win the SB in the next 2 years correct?

There was just almost no market for him. Almost no team was willing to give us anything much less a first round pick. I’ve got no idea what exact compensation really is. But I suspect it’s a third and something else. I’d gladly take Quinn, but it looks like they balked st that. It’s an odd deal.

No terms of a trade 24 hrs asfter it breaks. You ever seen anything like that?

Never have.   No leaks.  From anywhere. 

That tells me a player involved coming here must be extended(Quinn?).   There's no urgency to extend Peters, just like we had no urgency to do so.  That's the only logical holdup at this point.   Quinn extends, trade is Quinn +.   Quinn balks, trade is for more draft picks.  

Rams are loaded with cap room:   http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

But I do think the holdup is that we are negotiating with a player, likely Quinn,(it WON"T be Donald) on an extension, and until that's done one way or the other, there can be no final accounting of draft choices.   Only logical explanation at this point.  Of course, that would fly in the face of the supposed Veach goal of Younger and faster, if we acquire and extend Quinn.  

Quinn is only 27, 2 years younger than Houston.  A 2-3 year extension to bring his cap # down and making hit cutable by 30 is totally understandable. 

and you're right, there's some kind of contract deal going down with 0 leaks or any kind of idea from anyone on this deal.

everyone is lip tight on this one with the rams and chiefs.

Never have. No leaks. From anywhere.

That tells me a player involved coming here must be extended(Quinn?). There's no urgency to extend Peters, just like we had no urgency to do so. That's the only logical holdup at this point. Quinn extends, trade is Quinn +. Quinn balks, trade is for more draft picks.

Disagree. You aren’t giving up much for a short term player. Terms of trade could be tied to an extension That’s not crazy at all.

Disagree. You aren’t giving up much for a short term player. Terms of trade could be tied to an extension That’s not crazy at all.

Peters is a 3 year, cost certainty player, at worst without an extension.   Peters isn't the holdup, IMO.   He's thrilled to be leaving.  

If I were the Rams I'd give up the picks, keep Peters on his rookie deal the two years, keep Donald on his 5th year option, extend Joyner, and tag Trumain this final year again. Go for a hard SB push this year since a cheap Peters contract buys you a year to collect an even more elite defense. Not sure their cap situation, but be a solid plan. Peters will tear it up under Wade, dude is the master

Archived