Marcus Peters trade thread

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're just stating those terms because you know that won't happen.

I found that 3 players since 2000 have been traded for more than 1 1st round pick.  It hasn't happened since 2003.

I'll say it again, the Chiefs were able to get a very good young starting CB and 3rd round pick for a QB you perceived as a complete "bum".

I think we'll do ok here.

If it's total garbage in return, I will join your bashing parade.

YOU stated a one and a 2, or it's a ridiculous trade.   Of course, that was BEFORE you had to shift into DEFEND the move mode.   I prefer consistency.  

Show me someone  the equivalent of Peters, an outstanding, productive player,  that was traded this early into his contract.  Only one I can come up with that's close is Keyshawn, traded for 2 #1's.  

YOU stated a one and a 2, or it's a ridiculous trade.   Of course, that was BEFORE you had to shift into DEFEND the move mode.   I prefer consistency.  

Show me someone  the equivalent of Peters, an outstanding, productive player,  that was traded this early into his contract.  Only one I can come up with that's close is Keyshawn, traded for 2 #1's.  

I said I was being a homer at first and after doing research, I realized those terms are ludicrous for anything but an elite QB.

There's been 3 players since 2000 traded for more than one 1st round pick:

Keyshawn Johns and Joey Galloway in 2000.

Ricky Williams in 2002.

It hasn't happened for 16 years. 

https://overthecap.com/looking-at-past-nfl-player-for-draft-pick-trades/https://overthecap.com/looking-at-past-nfl-player-for-draft-pick-trades/

I said I was being a homer at first and after doing research, I realized those terms are ludicrous for anything but an elite QB.

There's been 3 players since 2000 traded for more than one 1st round pick:

Keyshawn Johns and Joey Galloway in 2000.

Ricky Williams in 2003.

It hasn't happened for 15 years. 

Again, show me the player traded this early, that was near the equivalent of Peters, and what he was traded for?   If the most recent are Ricky, Galloway, and Keyshawn, there's your answer.  And we know what they were traded for.  None were "elite QB's.  

Besides the getting tossed out of a game/not really tossed, what did he do to embarrass the franchise that's on the field, football related?? Sorry, yelling at coaches doesn't count, otherwise Brady "embarrassed the franchise", when he told Josh to F himself.

Peters was rightly punished for what he did, was remorseful, and came back and played the best Football of his career.

He didn’t go back with the team after the Oakland game. He ditched the team and went home on the train with Marshawn.

He cursed out Chiefs fans and it went viral.

And it doesn’t matter if he served his suspension or not, his actions in NY were still extremely embarrassing and were absolutely a factor in this.

It took 3 years for Washington to kick him off their team. It took 3 years for the Chiefs to get rid of him.

There is a serious pattern of behavior here that is not debatable. He is a huge cancer.

Again, show me the player traded this early, that was near the equivalent of Peters, and what he was traded for?   If the most recent are Ricky, Galloway, and Keyshawn, there's your answer.  And we know what they were traded for.  None were "elite QB's.  

You're not understanding.  Because of those trades IS WHY no other player outside of an Elite QB will most likely never get traded for more than 1st round pick ever again. 

Teams just aren't going to do it.

You're basically expecting the Chiefs to receive NFL historical trade value in return for Peters, in order to be happy with it.

He didn’t go back with the team after the Oakland game. He ditched the team and went home on the train with Marshawn.

He cursed out Chiefs fans and it went viral.

And it doesn’t matter if he served his suspension or not, his action in NY were still extremely embarrassing and were absolutely a factor in this.

It took 3 years for Washington to kick him off their team. It took 3 years for the Chiefs to get rid of him.

There is s serious pattern of behavior here that is not debatable. He is a huge cancer.

Taking a train and messing around with Marshawn in his hometown after the game embarrassed the team????    I cracked up at it, it was funny as shit.  If Clark was embarrassed at that, he's even worse than I think.   And that's hard to do, considering how lowly I think of him.  

He cursed out a fan(s) who called him a not nice name.  He's hardly the only one.  

Look, I get it, you care about off the field nonsense.   I don't, unless the player is breaking the law and is subject to suspension.  

You're not understanding.  Because of those trades IS WHY no other player outside of an Elite QB will most likely never get traded for more than 1st round pick ever again. 

Teams just aren't going to do it.

You're basically expecting the Chiefs to receive NFL historical trade value in return for Peters, in order to be happy with it.

I was expecting them to get what similar trades, for similar players, got.   Add the Jared Allen trade of 2008 in your research, and Jared was far more "riskier" than Marcus, for a team acquiring him, and did have to be contractually satisfied immediately, unlike Marcus, so Marcus should be worth more.  And I was pissed at the time for the draft compensation we got for Jared.  

I was expecting them to get what similar trades, for similar players, got. Add the Jared Allen trade of 2008 in your research, and Jared was far more "riskier" than Marcus, for a team acquiring him, and did have to be contractually satisfied immediately, unlike Marcus, so Marcus should be worth more. And I was pissed at the time for the draft compensation we got for Jared.

Allen was not had for 2 first though. He had

Does DBG run this website?

Chiefs Coalition @Chiefscoalition 6m6 minutes ago

I will only be ok with the MP trade if Donald is in it.. he won’t be so basically nothing will make it ok. I’m so frustrated with the @Chiefs .

Thinks he does!  He was the same way at this other site I used to go to, right down to the same moniker and dunce cap.  Ignore him......

I was expecting them to get what similar trades, for similar players, got.   Add the Jared Allen trade of 2008 in your research, and Jared was far more "riskier" than Marcus, for a team acquiring him, and did have to be contractually satisfied immediately, unlike Marcus, so Marcus should be worth more.  And I was pissed at the time for the draft compensation we got for Jared.  

Of course you were.  you expect us to get a Herschel Walker type return for every trade.

No, the Chiefs did not have to trade Marcus Peters

by Joshua Brisco8 hours agoFollow @jbbrisco

Don’t let anyone tell you the Kansas City Chiefs were out of options on Marcus Peters. They were not.

I won’t argue that Marcus Peters was a terribly fun player for Andy Reid to coach.

I won’t refute reports that Peters wanted to leave Kansas City. That very well may be true. But for Andy Reid, whose only Super Bowl season came handcuffed to Terrell Owens, to declare that Marcus Peters wasn’t worth the trouble anymore?

That’s waving the white flag at least two years too soon.

Friday’s stunning trade led to compounding reports and speculation that Marcus Peters was never going to re-sign in Kansas City, which I’ve talked about excessively this week. But here’s the thing: I don’t care if Marcus Peters didn’t want to be here for the 2021 season. He should have been here up until that point, at least through 2019.

The Chiefs’ best chance to win a Super Bowl was supposed to be in 2019. You enter the second year of Patrick Mahomes as your starter and the team is still in control of Justin Houston, Eric Berry, Chris Jones, Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, Kendall Fuller and Marcus Peters. You maintain a flexible salary cap situation and can supplement pieces where needed. All of the most vital spots on the field are locked in. Now, one of the most important position groups on the field is left in turmoil and you’ve removed the NFL’s best defensive playmaker over the last three years from your roster.

The Chiefs hit the lottery when they drafted Marcus Peters, and now they’ve shipped him off for a few more scratch-offs.

By the way, the Chiefs could have franchise-tagged Peters for 2020 and potentially even 2021, giving the Chiefs two or three years of prime Super Bowl contention. Then Peters leaves for the west coast and you get a compensatory pick or try trading him while he’s still tagged. Either way, at least you take your shot while your window is most widely opened.

Today, the Chiefs decided that Marcus Peters wasn’t worth the difficulties. That paints Andy Reid in a very poor light. I dive down that rabbit hole and talk about the trade in great depth on today’s show.

Wouldn't this be the best time to trade Peters? 3 years of control and a 5th year option still available.

I’m not buying anywell run team would look at this as three years of club control. I think mindset from day trade is made is extension.

My point is that teams clearly know this guy is an emotional cripple of sorts so why not use next year to repair that image. Grunny was adamant nobody in this organization can reach Peters, but I do think a savvy plan could potentially sell a lie.

Just from a pragmatic. standpoint he’s coming off his first non Pro Bowl year and a very, very rare Andy Reid suspension. If he’s a Pro Bowler and model citizen next year market may open up more.

Fact there was almost no market for him just wreaks of selling really low and I expect compensation to reflect it.

No, the Chiefs did not have to trade Marcus Peters
by Joshua Brisco8 hours agoFollow @jbbrisco

Don’t let anyone tell you the Kansas City Chiefs were out of options on Marcus Peters. They were not.
I won’t argue that Marcus Peters was a terribly fun player for Andy Reid to coach.

I won’t refute reports that Peters wanted to leave Kansas City. That very well may be true. But for Andy Reid, whose only Super Bowl season came handcuffed to Terrell Owens, to declare that Marcus Peters wasn’t worth the trouble anymore?

That’s waving the white flag at least two years too soon.

Friday’s stunning trade led to compounding reports and speculation that Marcus Peters was never going to re-sign in Kansas City, which I’ve talked about excessively this week. But here’s the thing: I don’t care if Marcus Peters didn’t want to be here for the 2021 season. He should have been here up until that point, at least through 2019.

The Chiefs’ best chance to win a Super Bowl was supposed to be in 2019. You enter the second year of Patrick Mahomes as your starter and the team is still in control of Justin Houston, Eric Berry, Chris Jones, Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, Kendall Fuller and Marcus Peters. You maintain a flexible salary cap situation and can supplement pieces where needed. All of the most vital spots on the field are locked in. Now, one of the most important position groups on the field is left in turmoil and you’ve removed the NFL’s best defensive playmaker over the last three years from your roster.

The Chiefs hit the lottery when they drafted Marcus Peters, and now they’ve shipped him off for a few more scratch-offs.

By the way, the Chiefs could have franchise-tagged Peters for 2020 and potentially even 2021, giving the Chiefs two or three years of prime Super Bowl contention. Then Peters leaves for the west coast and you get a compensatory pick or try trading him while he’s still tagged. Either way, at least you take your shot while your window is most widely opened.

Today, the Chiefs decided that Marcus Peters wasn’t worth the difficulties. That paints Andy Reid in a very poor light. I dive down that rabbit hole and talk about the trade in great depth on today’s show.

Not sure how this paints anyone in a bad light until all the facts come out.    I didn't want us to trade him but if you have a major beef with your head coach or coordinator and your becoming a problem and you ask for a trade and have made it known you won't sign here long term...then this is the perfect year to deal that sort of player.   Where I don't agree is merely dumping the player for whatever you can get.   I think people are taking the extremes in this issue when the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.   He is and can be an headache but that in and of itself doesn't warrant a dump or dragging his name through the mud, but wanting to trade a player like that when your transitions to a new era with a new qb doesn't mean Andy is incompetent either.   As long as we get reasonable compensation (1st and some other pick or more) then both teams probably come out ahead in the long run.   

Archived