Marcus Peters trade thread

It’s pretty clear that the fault for Peters and this deal is squarely on Andy Reid and John Dorsey.

They failed miserably by drafting this kid. He was a huge problem that got kicked off his football team in college and these 2 assured us that he wouldn’t be the problem here.

Andy couldn’t take him anymore so Veach did the best he could with little to no market for the kid.

Time to move forward.

The fault is Peters and his alone. He was given many chances and threw them away.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not buying anywell run team would look at this as three years of club control. I think mindset from day trade is made is extension.

My point is that teams clearly know this guy is an emotional cripple of sorts so why not use next year to repair that image. Grunny was adamant nobody in this organization can reach Peters, but I do think a savvy plan could potentially sell a lie.

Just from a pragmatic. standpoint he’s coming off his first non Pro Bowl year and a very, very rare Andy Reid suspension. If he’s a Pro Bowler and model citizen next year market may open up more.

Fact there was almost no market for him just wreaks of selling really low and I expect compensation to reflect it.

Conversely, if he has more issues next year and his play declines even slightly, his value goes down, his salary goes up, and he’s a year closer to free agency, all of which drive his trade value down further. If the powers that be are convinced the issues won’t stop, then another year is more likely to damage value rather than enhance it. I think the time was right because it had to be done. Unfortunate because he is talented.

Only way a 3rd rounder this yr is ok is if they give us a 1 next year, or a 2 and 3. Something along those lines. Otherwise I really hope there is a player involved. It could be Quinn. It could be Watkins or Johnson on a sign and trade.

Really hard to tell what the deal is. Veach doesnt appear to be the type to get fleeced though. So hopefully given the fact that the deal cant be finalized for over 2 weeks he leans on them and gets max return.

Veach was hamstrung here by an incredibly soft market for Peters. This is just economics 101. We likeky aren’t getting anywhere near perceived value for him which is why I would have kept him one more season. I’ll be REALLY surprised if this includes a first rounder.

Conversely, if he has more issues next year and his play declines even slightly, his value goes down, his salary goes up, and he’s a year closer to free agency, all of which drive his trade value down further. If the powers that be are convinced the issues won’t stop, then another year is more likely to damage value rather than enhance it. I think the time was right because it had to be done. Unfortunate because he is talented.

Very true. This move right now is basically saying we don’t feel like we can handle him and things could get worse. It’s just frustrating to me that we couldn’t make it work for one year and basically sell a lie.

Hey Dale Carter left KC an elite corner in his prime. Got a gigantic contract in Denver and was never the same player again on top of multiple suspensions. We got out at the perfect time. Just feels early this time, but time will tell.

Very true. This move right now is basically saying we don’t feel like we can handle him and things could get worse. It’s just frustrating to me that we couldn’t make it work for one year and basically sell a lie.

Hey Dale Carter left KC an elite corner in his prime. Got a gigantic contract in Denver and was never the same player again on top of multiple suspensions. We got out at the perfect time. Just feels early this time, but time will tell.

Maybe the question isn’t can we handle him, it’s do we want to? There are many backchannels in league circles. There’s no way to sell a lie like that in a world of free agency, moving parts and Twitter. Even if the backchannels remained quiet, we’d be taking a chance with Peters not taking it public and creating a mess. Peters is a great player, but he’s also volatile, and there’s a lot of potential downside to stringing this thing out a year. We are very close to being a real contender, and for that reason I’m inclined to play conservatively. Volatile players are ones you take a chance on when you need something to get over the hump. We aren’t in the position where a single player could get us over said hump, so I don’t think the potential upheaval is worth the reward.

He did not want to stay in KC, it is not the type of town that a young professional athlete finds attractive for things to do after working hours...his heart & mind were on the west coast and that was not likely to change....

The fame don’t make the name and the name don’t make it a game. K.C thank you...

Is that all he has to say?  Rediculously selfish person!  Have you ever heard him in interviews?  There is a reason the team didn't want him in front of the mic or camera.  I am glad to see Marcus Peters move on before we get locked into a large and long contract with him only to continue his street thug antics.  His turnovers will be missed, but his personallity and attitude will not.  I am glad KC leadershgip is not letting the inmates run the prison, sort of say...

Go Chiefs!

That seems to be the case. I guess someone leaked it too early and the sides weren't close to an agreement.

What if the trade falls through? How the hell do you get a strong willed player to fall in line when he knows the team tried to trade him and failed? At this point, the trade better go through or I see a locker room in disarray.

What if the trade falls through? How the hell do you get a strong willed player to fall in line when he knows the team tried to trade him and failed? At this point, the trade better go through or I see a locker room in disarray.

Not if he requested the trade. But if he requested the trade, then you already know there are other troubles.

Not if he requested the trade. But if he requested the trade, then you already know there are other troubles.

Yup. For the record...I'm not thrilled about trading Peters. BUT I understand business and if Peters wasn't willing to be a team player as far as business goes...he is a must trade. Freaking sucks.

I have heard the same for years. When teams do trades next years picks are valued one round lower.

So getting someones 1st round pick is like getting a 2nd rounder. Sorry the math just doesn't add up for me but then again I sucked at math. I understand that a team that trades that #1 would tell themselves that so it doesn't hurt so much. Sort of like losing a really hot girl friend but say she wasn't too hot, she had an annoying laugh.

So getting someones 1st round pick is like getting a 2nd rounder. Sorry the math just doesn't add up for me but then again I sucked at math. I understand that a team that trades that #1 would tell themselves that so it doesn't hurt so much. Sort of like losing a really hot girl friend but say she wasn't too hot, she had an annoying laugh.

Future picks aren't valued as much as current ones.

Would you value a free sandwich from a sandwich shop today, or a year from now and maybe they will still be open?

other board we hate "

The teams have already made the deal. Leaking the details would not be tampering. Why does everyone point to leaking details as tampering?

The deal is already made and announced, that is what could be considered tampering. No?"

It’s tampering because the new league year hasn’t begun.

It would be the same as an agent or player communicating with a GM or coach about playing for a new team during the Dead Period.

March 12.

Future picks aren't valued as much as current ones.

Would you value a free sandwich from a sandwich shop today, or a year from now and maybe they will still be open?

That is a horrible comparison. We know we get picks later as they will be there. We just do not know the location of said picks. Maybe their qb goes down and they have a horrible year resulting in a higher round pick? It is all a gamble but if you know you are getting a first round pick next year you are guaranteed a top 32 pick. I think it will end up being 24th or so myself and I would be fine with a future pick. It also will give us flexibility to move up or down with extra picks or maybe trade for a player too. The value is having the picks tonplay with. A 2bd rounder is just that. Might not be a deep cb draft next year but it could be a good LB draft.

You have to let it all play out and I bet if we have 10 picks going untonnext year with 4 or so in the first 3 rounds people will be happy. We have cap space next year, oicks and can go after good free agents while signing our own. The front office seems to be setting it up nicely. I still want to wait on the compensation though to be sure.

That is a horrible comparison. We know we get picks later as they will be there. We just do not know the location of said picks. Maybe their qb goes down and they have a horrible year resulting in a higher round pick? It is all a gamble but if you know you are getting a first round pick next year you are guaranteed a top 32 pick. I think it will end up being 24th or so myself and I would be fine with a future pick. It also will give us flexibility to move up or down with extra picks or maybe trade for a player too. The value is having the picks tonplay with. A 2bd rounder is just that. Might not be a deep cb draft next year but it could be a good LB draft.

You have to let it all play out and I bet if we have 10 picks going untonnext year with 4 or so in the first 3 rounds people will be happy. We have cap space next year, oicks and can go after good free agents while signing our own. The front office seems to be setting it up nicely. I still want to wait on the compensation though to be sure.

It actually applies because there's zero guarantee that the group of people trading for those future choices will be around long enough to actually make the choices.

Ask Cleveland.

jmccarty1982

@McCarty1982

Replying to @nfldraftscout

Have you heard anything about draft pick compensation for the Chiefs in the Peters trade. Curious how the trade impacts the Chiefs draft strategy.

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

I have but was sworn to secrecy.

7:51 PM - Feb 25, 2018

Keith MacLean

@KeithMacLean78

Replying to @LyleGraversen and 2 others

I too would like to know this.

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

The terms I was told are fair.

7:59 PM - Feb 25, 2018

Quinton West

Quinton West

@quinton_west

What players/positions do you think would be good for the Rams to target since the Peters trade?

Note: Rumor is that the Rams dealt their 4th and a 7th this year along with a conditional 3rd next year

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

That trade rumor is straight up horseshit. For the record.

They should target youth on the OL, a pass rusher and might need another CB.

It actually applies because there's zero guarantee that the group of people trading for those future choices will be around long enough to actually make the choices.

Ask Cleveland.

We are not Cleveland. Veach and Reid will both be here next year. Do you honestly think we will lose the hc and GM next year?

Quinton West

Quinton West

@quinton_west

What players/positions do you think would be good for the Rams to target since the Peters trade?

Note: Rumor is that the Rams dealt their 4th and a 7th this year along with a conditional 3rd next year

Matt Miller

@nfldraftscout

That trade rumor is straight up horseshit. For the record.

They should target youth on the OL, a pass rusher and might need another CB.

I like how he called it what it is, if it ends up being this though, I will be pissed off. Hopefully it is their first next year and they tank lol. We have then 2 picks in the first, cap space and can go after free agents plus sign our own.

I like how he called it what it is, if it ends up being this though, I will be pissed off. Hopefully it is their first next year and they tank lol. We have then 2 picks in the first, cap space and can go after free agents plus sign our own.

Just takes one of 6 knees to make that happen

Archived