Marcus Peters trade thread

Good god dude, I didn't say Veach is gonna get fired.

I said that's why tomorrow has less value in an instant gratification league. Get on the same page here.

You said the no guarantee the group of people will be here to make the choices. Well that is the GM and HC that is the most important part of the group. Cleveland is a revolving door for gms and coaches, fired all the time and starting over. Do you now see my point? The picks will come in handy with these two. I just want to see first what we have to deal with.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a horrible comparison. We know we get picks later as they will be there. We just do not know the location of said picks. Maybe their qb goes down and they have a horrible year resulting in a higher round pick? It is all a gamble but if you know you are getting a first round pick next year you are guaranteed a top 32 pick. I think it will end up being 24th or so myself and I would be fine with a future pick. It also will give us flexibility to move up or down with extra picks or maybe trade for a player too. The value is having the picks tonplay with. A 2bd rounder is just that. Might not be a deep cb draft next year but it could be a good LB draft.

You have to let it all play out and I bet if we have 10 picks going untonnext year with 4 or so in the first 3 rounds people will be happy. We have cap space next year, oicks and can go after good free agents while signing our own. The front office seems to be setting it up nicely. I still want to wait on the compensation though to be sure.

Dude...can you just quit being lazy and google “nfl draft pick value this year vs next year”? There are numerous articles that state exactly what liquid is saying. It’s not hard to comprehend... unless you trade with someone in the bottom five or so in a round, there is the risk that the teams slot in the following year’s draft will be lower than the current draft. ive Known this for years and thought most already did as well. Imagine you are a team making a trade with the chiefs in 2013. You know they were the worst team in the league so you make a trade and get their 2014 2nd rounder from it. In your mind you are thinking you are picking around 33-35, but in reality the Chiefs play well, go to the playoffs and you get a pick at 56 instead. THAT is the logic involved...

You said the no guarantee the group of people will be here to make the choices. Well that is the GM and HC that is the most important part of the group. Cleveland is a revolving door for gms and coaches, fired all the time and starting over. Do you now see my point? The picks will come in handy with these two. I just want to see first what we have to deal with.

Learn how to read.

It actually applies because there's zero guarantee that the group of people trading for those future choices will be around long enough to actually make the choices.

Ask Cleveland.

No mention of Kansas City, Andy Reid or Veach in that quote. Give it a rest already.

That post was articulating NFL teams valuing future choices and not the Chiefs specifically. It was what I literally said.

Learn how to read.

No mention of Kansas City, Andy Reid or Veach in that quote. Give it a rest already.

That post was articulating NFL teams valuing future choices and not the Chiefs specifically. It was what I literally said.

No mention of Cleveland in the post before either, but you said just ask Cleveland as in comparing them to our situation which I explained above being this is a Chiefs board after all. Maybe some teams feel they can trade out a first this year for a first and additional picks next year because they are set and any player they want can be had when they pick next. They get a future pick plus additional picks this or next year.

You mentioned Zeitler. Instant gratification is your thought for future picks being less. Well a lot of those picks they traded for later round pick in the same round at times plus additional picks even in the same draft.

Cincinnati traded this selection to New England for their first (27th) and third round (93rd) selections this year in 2012.

There is value there because they still selected in the first round and was able to get another pick in the 3rd round. Maybe the guys they wanted were not worthy of a pick at the time they selected. NE is always doing this type if stuff to get more picks and they load up year to year. I do not have the draft pick value in front of me, but I would venture to say Cincinnati came out ahead on a trade like this. NE the year before when they traded had ammo to do so because they traded picks and had three 2nd round choices, the 33rd was their first one in round 2.

That pick was traded to them a year prior by Carolina for their 3rd round 89th pick in 2010. I think it is safe to say that this 33rd pick is much better and I do not see it as a 3rd round selection but rather savy trading for a team set up the way NE was and is. NE even then used their last 2nd round pick, their 3rd one of the round,and flipped it for a 3rd and 5th that year too.

I just do not see where the thought process that the NFL teams view a 2nd round pick next year as a 3rd round pick this year. I see it as opportunity to get better picks in future whatever round it falls in, it is that pick in the round.

Especially if the gamble pays off and a team does not do well and you get a higher pick in the round you traded for. Because you felt your player was not there or the choices available to pick from at the time of your selection was not anything needed for your teambto do a trade a5 the time so no need for instant gratification. So why not set up the future? Teams pay the price to move up. Not very often does it work where the team trading the pick gets screwed out of good compensation and takes a trade for the same round it traded out of.

That would be dumb for anyone to trade a pick in the same round. It also shows they value a higher pick, the trading team of the pick, even if it is a future one, then they do their current position of selection. Did you think of it that way too. Why is it the team trading for it values the pick as a lesser round when maybe the team trading the pick as a better round investment?

Teams, unless you can show me a direct link or quote, view a higher pick next year as a better value and not a later round pick because they traded a 3rd for a 2nd or 2nd for a first etc for future picks. It is what it is but, I think the Chiefs are doing this too with cap space for FA and resigning our own and picks next year too. We are able to stock up on picks and do trades of future ones too, not because of less value on the future round pick but rather hopefully we are set up so nicely it is not a need at the moment of the pick to get anyone. I hope Mahomes gives us the advantage Brady has for NE in a lot of the examples you posted.

At least he shot down the garbage rumor on those horrible returns.

My guess is we are getting the Rams' 3rd and 4th this year and a conditional 2nd rounder next year that based on games played and accolades for Peters, could be a 1st.

At least he shot down the garbage rumor on those horrible returns.

My guess is we are getting the Rams' 3rd and 4th this year and a conditional 2nd rounder next year that based on games played and accolades for Peters, could be a 1st.

I would be fine with this, not ecstatic or one sided for us, but fine. Rather have solidified our D line with a player swap and picks involved though but there will be ones available. Hell, the Rams have some hard choices coming up in the next year or so with all the young talent they have coming up for 2nd contracts and their cap space availability. Still want to see what it is though and if conditional, what are the conditions too.

I would be fine with this, not ecstatic or one sided for us, but fine. Rather have solidified our D line with a player swap and picks involved though but there will be ones available. Hell, the Rams have some hard choices coming up in the next year or so with all the young talent they have coming up for 2nd contracts and their cap space availability. Still want to see what it is though and if conditional, what are the conditions too.

It would give us 3 3rds and 2 4ths this year to work with including our 2nd rounder.  Maybe they work their way back into the late first with some of that but we should end up ok IMO.

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I think we get Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Trumaine Johnson with an extension, the Rams 1st and 3rd and next years 2nd. I think that's why nobody is talking about it, because we fleeced them so bad. It's just to be respectful of their fan base.

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I think we get Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Trumaine Johnson with an extension, the Rams 1st and 3rd and next years 2nd. I think that's why nobody is talking about it, because we fleeced them so bad.

So not enough! I'm pissed!

No mention of Cleveland in the post before either, but you said just ask Cleveland as in comparing them to our situation which I explained above being this is a Chiefs board after all. Maybe some teams feel they can trade out a first this year for a first and additional picks next year because they are set and any player they want can be had when they pick next. They get a future pick plus additional picks this or next year.

You mentioned Zeitler. Instant gratification is your thought for future picks being less. Well a lot of those picks they traded for later round pick in the same round at times plus additional picks even in the same draft.

Cincinnati traded this selection to New England for their first (27th) and third round (93rd) selections this year in 2012.

There is value there because they still selected in the first round and was able to get another pick in the 3rd round. Maybe the guys they wanted were not worthy of a pick at the time they selected. NE is always doing this type if stuff to get more picks and they load up year to year. I do not have the draft pick value in front of me, but I would venture to say Cincinnati came out ahead on a trade like this. NE the year before when they traded had ammo to do so because they traded picks and had three 2nd round choices, the 33rd was their first one in round 2.

That pick was traded to them a year prior by Carolina for their 3rd round 89th pick in 2010. I think it is safe to say that this 33rd pick is much better and I do not see it as a 3rd round selection but rather savy trading for a team set up the way NE was and is. NE even then used their last 2nd round pick, their 3rd one of the round,and flipped it for a 3rd and 5th that year too.

I just do not see where the thought process that the NFL teams view a 2nd round pick next year as a 3rd round pick this year. I see it as opportunity to get better picks in future whatever round it falls in, it is that pick in the round.

Especially if the gamble pays off and a team does not do well and you get a higher pick in the round you traded for. Because you felt your player was not there or the choices available to pick from at the time of your selection was not anything needed for your teambto do a trade a5 the time so no need for instant gratification. So why not set up the future? Teams pay the price to move up. Not very often does it work where the team trading the pick gets screwed out of good compensation and takes a trade for the same round it traded out of.

That would be dumb for anyone to trade a pick in the same round. It also shows they value a higher pick, the trading team of the pick, even if it is a future one, then they do their current position of selection. Did you think of it that way too. Why is it the team trading for it values the pick as a lesser round when maybe the team trading the pick as a better round investment?

Teams, unless you can show me a direct link or quote, view a higher pick next year as a better value and not a later round pick because they traded a 3rd for a 2nd or 2nd for a first etc for future picks. It is what it is but, I think the Chiefs are doing this too with cap space for FA and resigning our own and picks next year too. We are able to stock up on picks and do trades of future ones too, not because of less value on the future round pick but rather hopefully we are set up so nicely it is not a need at the moment of the pick to get anyone. I hope Mahomes gives us the advantage Brady has for NE in a lot of the examples you posted.

Believe whatever you want dude. If you don't like what multiple people have posted in support of it than it's really pointless. You be you.

I think at this point you're just dying for an argument and I ain't doing it.

So getting someones 1st round pick is like getting a 2nd rounder. Sorry the math just doesn't add up for me but then again I sucked at math. I understand that a team that trades that #1 would tell themselves that so it doesn't hurt so much. Sort of like losing a really hot girl friend but say she wasn't too hot, she had an annoying laugh.

There is something in economics and finance called the time value of money.  $1000 now is worth more than a $1000 a year from now.  The $1000 you get now can be invested and will be worth more than $1000 a year from now.  A player you draft now can start paying dividends sooner than a player you draft a year from now.  You may now agree with the valuation of one round lower, but it is pretty standard; google it.

There is something in economics and finance called the time value of money.  $1000 now is worth more than a $1000 a year from now.  The $1000 you get now can be invested and will be worth more than $1000 a year from now.  A player you draft now can start paying dividends sooner than a player you draft a year from now.  You may now agree with the valuation of one round lower, but it is pretty standard; google it.

Plus there are 32 possible draft positions for next years pick. This years pick is certain. And while you may think you have a pretty good idea, you really don't. In 2013 we drafted number 1 overall. In 2014 it was 23.

Believe whatever you want dude. If you don't like what multiple people have posted in support of it than it's really pointless. You be you.

I think at this point you're just dying for an argument and I ain't doing it.

Multiple posters? We will visit it next year and see what the value of the 2nd rounder is. I am guessing it will still be a 2nd rounder.

But something that has a long wait to collect simply doesn't have the same value as something today. That's life, mang.

I don't know...retiring from the military after 24 years and only being 45 years old seems to be nice for the wait. ????

I see both sides as you can view it either way, I just think this time next year we will be loving that extra 2nd round pick. Make it even more sweet if Peters is a rental guy and does not resign or goes ape shit in LA and we dfa ft a 10 year or more type player/starter. Glass half full guy here.

But something that has a long wait to collect simply doesn't have the same value as something today. That's life, mang.

One GM calling another and saying "I will trade you my first round pick next year for your first round pick this year. Well... I might want to keep my next years too, but maybe I will give you my first rounder the following year, or the year after that.  Don't worry, it will still be a first rounder so really its the same. You are really going to love having two first rounders when you get them.  Trust me. what do you say?"

I don't know...retiring from the military after 24 years and only being 45 years old seems to be nice for the wait.

I see both sides as you can view it either way, I just think this time next year we will be loving that extra 2nd round pick. Make it even more sweet if Peters is a rental guy and does not resign or goes ape shit in LA and we dfa ft a 10 year or more type player/starter. Glass half full guy here.

I think you would have taken the retirement package 27 years ago if you had the option lol

One GM calling another and saying "I will trade you my first round pick next year for your first round pick this year. Well... I might want to keep my next years too, but maybe I will give you my first rounder the following year, or the year after that. Don't worry, it will still be a first rounder so really its the same. You are really going to love having two first rounders when you get them. Trust me. what do you say?"

That is not the deal. They would trade a future 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick this year. The only way you would do this is if you got a 3rd rounder this year and it was the Browns calling for your late 1st round pick. This way you know you are getting a top 5 selection if not for sure a top 10 next year lol. Said team values a 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick next year and if they have no immediate needs it gives them a better round selection in their eyes is my point to this all.

Cleveland had me thinking. Looking back from their original spot since 1999 they have had a top 10 pick, unless they traded back in every draft other than 2015 when they drafted 12th, their original spot. 7 picks were top 5, soon to be 8 picks this year. Wow, that is almost automatic trade you would want to do it if they want your 28th pick or whatever sp9t late in the first round.

Archived