Thoughtful Take on Peters Trade

Do y’all think Washington had a crack at Peters? I’m sure KC knew they were dealing peters when the Alex talks were going on.

If so, it’s interesting that they passed. I bet redskins fans would have felt a lot better if MP was coming with Alex.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw peters interviewed on NFL network.. peters said he will miss berry Huston and specifically big red.. said he miss Reid n that he knew if he corrected him it was in his best interest. He respected Reid n enjoyed his relationship with him. He wanted to dispel the rumors that he and Andy didn't get along. We just lost one of the best cbs of this generation if not all time by the time he is done.. I've always defended Clark, but this reeks of an owner letting a small misguided, but money wielding porting of the fan base grab his ear. I'm not worried about being able to field a competent team, but I'm beyond disappointed in not only ownership, but also a portion of our fan base.

Agreed

Just saw peters interviewed on NFL network.. peters said he will miss berry Huston and specifically big red.. said he miss Reid n that he knew if he corrected him it was in his best interest. He respected Reid n enjoyed his relationship with him. He wanted to dispel the rumors that he and Andy didn't get along. We just lost one of the best cbs of this generation if not all time by the time he is done.. I've always defended Clark, but this reeks of an owner letting a small misguided, but money wielding porting of the fan base grab his ear. I'm not worried about being able to field a competent team, but I'm beyond disappointed in not only ownership, but also a portion of our fan base.

he no doubt has been coached on what to say to dispel any "Locker room Cancer" ideas that are floating around.. the facts are the facts..one team interested and only for a cheap price.If  the league knew that there was a fire sale for Peters that was a  low maintenance player there would be many teams in the bidding process.

Uhh... we’re talking about the #30 defense in the league WITH Peters. How much worse is it going to be without him? 31, 32? It’s too bad it didn’t work out with him —I loved watching him play —but the sky’s not falling here. They had a leaky D last year and won 10 games (could have won 14).

AGREE!

Saying Clark caved to fan pressure is ridiculous. Most fans don’t like what happened. So how is he caving to them?

If he was caving to fan pressure Alex Smith and Bob Sutton would have been gone long ago.

I think it is just certain fans pretending to know more about what happened than they really do.

Could it be that he wasn't going to resign here and when they talked he wanted to be west coast and knowing he can be a handful just did what was best for him? He didn't seem to bash KC other than disagreeing about Alex and it was mutual as discussed. Yes it stinks but after last year doing Charles and Maclin wrong we are changing the culture here? We cut DJ plenty of time for him to find another place to play, we didn't send Alex to a crap hole, we traded Marcus to a team near his home town after he wanted a trade.

I hated it at first but as many of you mentioned our defense wasn't great with him so how much worse can it be without him.

At the end of the day we still have our QBOTF!

• 2 months later...

I know a lot of opinions have been thrown around regarding the Marcus Peters trade. No doubt Peters had talent but he was not "All World". Especially this past season. 10 other cornerbacks had as many or more INTs than Peters. Top tier but where Peters distinguished himself was forcing fumbles. He was a master at it. Creating turnovers was his forte. What wasn't his strength was tackling. Of those other ten corners I referenced...where do you think Peters ranked among them as far as tackles? Yep...dead last. And where was Peters as far as passes defended? Near the bottom. Now you could argue that NFL QBs simply weren't targeting Peters much. Yet these same QBs targeted all the other top tiered cornerbacks? In light of Peters poor tackling habits I find this hard to swallow. I will miss Peters penchant for creating TO's....little else though. I mention all this because it seems one of the biggest reasons analysts are dogging the Chiefs is because we got rid of Peters. Huh? He is one guy. Invest in the pass rush and Peters will be a faint memory

Doesn’t really matter if he was only the top 20th CB in the NFL last season....that 20th CB would still be the best on our team.

And how did that work out for us as far as where the defense ranked? We were pretty much near the bottom. I have said all along that a good pass rush can do wonders for an average secondary. But an all world secondary can not make up for the lack of a pass rush. I don't care who you have...if a QB has all day to find a receiver eventually he will find one. Just ask Josh McCown. Dude needed a walker to get on the field. Not 1 sack? 331 yards passing? For a team that went 5-11? I cringe watching the highlights of that game.

Bottom line...Peters is easily replaceable if the pass rush is good. That remains to be seen but the recipe is there.

And how did that work out for us as far as where the defense ranked? We were pretty much near the bottom. I have said all along that a good pass rush can do wonders for an average secondary. But an all world secondary can not make up for the lack of a pass rush. I don't care who you have...if a QB has all day to find a receiver eventually he will find one. Just ask Josh McCown. Dude needed a walker to get on the field. Not 1 sack? 331 yards passing? For a team that went 5-11? I cringe watching the highlights of that game.

Bottom line...Peters is easily replaceable if the pass rush is good. That remains to be seen but the recipe is there.

As Manning showed against us time after time pass rush is pointless without a good secondary and a good secondary is pointless without a decent pass rush. Hali and Houston couldn't even sniff him in their prime. Success in the NFL no longer comes from a couple decent areas, it's a team effort and without a good team in every area luck has more to do with success than anything else.

Peters is a hell of a corner. He wasn’t happy here and last year his play showed it. I think he can be great if he is in a place he wants to be. I also think he will need to change teams every three ir four years to stay happy. He is a bit of a head case.

He was of no use to us. He would have dogged it even more thus year and refused to resign.

I agree about the pass rush and believe pass rush is more important than a elite CB.....I do agree with the others that a good balance is the most important.

No matter what you say about the Peters situation you will have to sit down and agree that no matter what we gave him up for peanuts and did not replace him this off season.  We got worse in the short term at CB.  No one can debate this

Now long term maybe Peters walks away and we get nothing!  So cutting ties now was better than later after he became a even bigger cancer?  Who knows and that is probably the path 

Peters is not “easily” replaceable. IMO

I agree, I understand their decision and support it, but you don't just replace a turnover machine. And don't give me this crap we are a better defense without him. He was a shutdown corner until last year when he decided to no longer tackle, he was elite prior.

I agree, I understand their decision and support it, but you don't just replace a turnover machine. And don't give me this crap we are a better defense without him. He was a shutdown corner until last year when he decided to no longer tackle, he was elite prior.

And after getting checked by Reid, he was that shutdown corner.

“Prior” being the important term.

Peters is a hell of a corner. He wasn’t happy here and last year his play showed it. I think he can be great if he is in a place he wants to be. I also think he will need to change teams every three ir four years to stay happy. He is a bit of a head case.

He was of no use to us. He would have dogged it even more thus year and refused to resign.

Agree. He was a rare game changing playmaker that also had baggage on and off the field that was almost certainly going to get worse as his option year neared. We tore off the band aid and moved on which hurts short term, but shows the vision here is long term. 

He will be a stud in LA. Passes defenses went from averaging over twenty to 9 last year. He wasn’t tackling. I really think he was just unhappy. Punting the ball into the stands and shouting matches with fans on top of all the penalties... Best for Peters, best the the Chiefs and best for the league to move on.

He will be a stud in LA. Passes defenses went from averaging over twenty to 9 last year. He wasn’t tackling. I really think he was just unhappy. Punting the ball into the stands and shouting matches with fans on top of all the penalties... Best for Peters, best the the Chiefs and best for the league to move on.

No reason at all to believe he won’t be good in LA. I do think however his immaturity will eventually catch up to him there as well. And if they expect him to tackle before he gets his big contract, they will be very disappointed.

I like me Peters. But we do need a good locker room for Mahomes. He is the leader of the team and could throw ton of picks his first year. That is OK so long as we don’t have chaos in the locker room over it. 2018 to me is not the goal. Mahomes is the real deal and in the long run will kill it.

Bingo! 

Also, there is a reason they could not make a good trade.  A lot of teams believe that chemistry is the key ingredient.  Having a CB who yells "fuck you" at the fans and gets in angry shouting matches with coaches does not set a good example.  Plus, he was not a press corner. 

No reason at all to believe he won’t be good in LA. I do think however his immaturity will eventually catch up to him there as well. And if they expect him to tackle before he gets his big contract, they will be very disappointed.

At some point, we have to stop calling it "immaturity" and begin calling it "personality disorder."  Otherwise it would have improved from year 1 to year 3, not the other way around. We should start a pool estimating what game his first nationally reported tantrum will occur.  I guess game 8.

Archived