Grade card for Veach

I honestly think Andy Reid considers what his players want and need. Sure Peters antics play a part in this and In the lack of como we got but I really think Peters wasn't going to sign here long term and didn't like the direction of the team and trading Alex and so it was mutually beneficial to trade a guy who wanted to be on the west coast now to get the most in return that also helped the player be where he wanted to be. Peters interview didn't indicate anything differently. I know we are all bummed but we will be fine. Our hopes as an org rest on Mahomes ability to develop into an elite qb not on retaining a wildly talented and hot tempers DB.

I very much like this take. I don't agree with it, but who cares really?

I believe this take is very much bad business. None of us are privy to everything but you just can't give this type of talent up, just to be nice. He would have had the same opportunity next year and it wouldn't have hurt to exercise the 5th year option either. It's a contract. Do all players get this opportunity now? Sets a bad precedent even if the sentiment is good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe this take is very much bad business. None of us are privy to everything but you just can't give this type of talent up, just to be nice. He would have had the same opportunity next year and it wouldn't have hurt to exercise the 5th year option either. It's a contract. Do all players get this opportunity now? Sets a bad precedent even if the sentiment is good.

You are right it's not good business so there could be more we don't know. I guess it my take to be as positive as possible. I wonder if last years black eye with Charles and Maclin are forcing us to change culture, but that sounds like a stretch.

9 million option for a volatile player is a gamble and we had to decide whether to exercise that in the coming months. If he has a repeat of last year then his trade value goes down further. It’s not about being nice, it’s about avoiding monetary risk on a questionable player, as well as his influence in the locker room. We weren’t going to exercise the option, so keeping him one more year meant him leaving via free agency, so it made more sense to do it now and get something in return because what we got was more valuable than the comp pick.

You are right it's not good business so there could be more we don't know. I guess it my take to be as positive as possible. I wonder if last years black eye with Charles and Maclin are forcing us to change culture, but that sounds like a stretch.

If you look at this realistically we will have a 22 year old QB with one career start playing opposite the 30th ranked defense in the NFL and likewise a team that must subtract a bunch of veterans because they are overpaid and left us in CAP hell. This isn’t formula for winning a Super Bowl.

So why not just pull the plug now on anyone we don’t see as part of our future and haven’t committed to financially beyond this year. Sucks with a talent like Peters and I would’ve waited a year, but it’s a reasonable plan. He’s cheap today but won’t be in 2019!and beyond and we likely couldn’t sign him anyway.

Lost on some people is reality you start planning your 2019 and 2020 Cap now and that certainly includes the cost of players you want to retain but not under contract.

We need CAP flexibility Dorsey’s rampant overspending didn’t give us and need it when we are a true contender. Veach not only needs to handle contracts way better than Dorsey but he also needs to draft somwhere near Dorsey’s level to do it. Time will tell on that piece, but he seems to have clear spending plan for our future which is important.

9 million option for a volatile player is a gamble and we had to decide whether to exercise that in the coming months. If he has a repeat of last year then his trade value goes down further. It’s not about being nice, it’s about avoiding monetary risk on a questionable player, as well as his influence in the locker room. We weren’t going to exercise the option, so keeping him one more year meant him leaving via free agency, so it made more sense to do it now and get something in return because what we got was more valuable than the comp pick.

9 mil for a top flight talent is a pittance. Yes, issues, I get it.

Deal with it. Discipline it. These are choices he is making consciously and they can have serious repercussions due to the legal binding contract he signed. If he refuses, that is also a choice he makes. It keeps him from playing football but maybe teaches him a life lesson.

For the option year, if he plays/acts well next year, maybe there's more interest and you try again...or keep him around.

He doesn't get to force you to pay him. He holds out, he doesn't get paid. Another choice.

The only logical reasons to trade him now for this horrible return is because he was/is doing something specific that someone didn't like.

Getting angry and going after coaches...suspend him. Send him to anger management, any legal discipline of your choosing.

Sitting/kneeling etc. during the anthem in protest of racial equality (not the intent to disrespect the flag or America but this is their biggest platform and most effective) is a huge deal for a lot of people. Many people don't understand it. They look at it and say "I'm not watching the NFL this year because the players are disrespecting the flag!" I speak to people every trip I take that view it this way and it's shocking how many their are. For a conglomerate that Clark Hunt heads, could it be an embarrassment? Could it be worse? I find it ridiculous that anyone that understands the true reason for the protests can see it as a bad thing. Especially if /when the specific players that are protesting are dedicating more money than I've earned in my professional career thus far to support that protest. Not to mention their time as well.

If you look at this realistically we will have a 22 year old QB with one career start playing opposite the 30th ranked defense in the NFL and likewise a team that must subtract a bunch of veterans because they are overpaid and left us in CAP hell. This isn’t formula for winning a Super Bowl.

So why not just pull the plug now on anyone we don’t see as part of our future and haven’t committed to financially beyond this year. Sucks with a talent like Peters and I would’ve waited a year, but it’s a reasonable plan. He’s cheap today but won’t be in 2019!and beyond and we likely couldn’t sign him anyway.

Lost on some people is reality you start planning your 2019 and 2020 Cap now and that certainly includes the cost of players you want to retain but not under contract.

We need CAP flexibility Dorsey’s rampant overspending didn’t give us and need it when we are a true contender. Veach not only needs to handle contracts way better than Dorsey but he also needs to draft somwhere near Dorsey’s level to do it. Time will tell on that piece, but he seems to have clear spending plan for our future which is important.

I don't think a team that has won back to back division titles and 53 games in 5 years views this as a rebuild. I think they see the window being open and they are going for it, and I think they believe Mahomes can be the one to take us there. The defense sucked no doubt. Berry is back, they've added Fuller and Amerson. I expect they'll cut some dead weight and try to replace Hali, Parker and Johnson etc through the draft or free agency. I think we are still in win now mode.

I still don't like it, you know what, give him 2018 to fix his act, if he does it then our team benefits on the field and if we want to still trade him because we don't think we can sign him long term then we get a better payday for him.  If he's a pain in the butt, we suspend him and do whatever, let him walk and take a 3rd round comp pick when he signs somewhere else.

I still don't like it, you know what, give him 2018 to fix his act, if he does it then our team benefits on the field and if we want to still trade him because we don't think we can sign him long term then we get a better payday for him. If he's a pain in the butt, we suspend him and do whatever, let him walk and take a 3rd round comp pick when he signs somewhere else.

You don’t agree that what we got now was better than a 3rd?

I don't think a team that has won back to back division titles and 53 games in 5 years views this as a rebuild. I think they see the window being open and they are going for it, and I think they believe Mahomes can be the one to take us there. The defense sucked no doubt. Berry is back, they've added Fuller and Amerson. I expect they'll cut some dead weight and try to replace Hali, Parker and Johnson etc through the draft or free agency. I think we are still in win now mode.

Agree. Even Clark Hunt said a few weeks ago that we weren't going into any full rebuilding mode. Let's just call it an overhaul where we want to do most of the dirty work right now. But I also think if you are looking for a sustained playoff contender (which is something we haven't been with only 1 playoff win the last 5 seasons), we need to understand we probably shouldn't even try to fill all these holes this offseason. 

I still don't like it, you know what, give him 2018 to fix his act, if he does it then our team benefits on the field and if we want to still trade him because we don't think we can sign him long term then we get a better payday for him.  If he's a pain in the butt, we suspend him and do whatever, let him walk and take a 3rd round comp pick when he signs somewhere else.

Your plan was my plan. Sell Marcus on being a model citizen in return for guaranteeing we will trade him to a West Coast team after the season. Problem is what I was reading today is that we just didn't trust him. Also consider in this scenario we had to give him the 9.5 million dollar option and if he got hurt, we lose that money and likely can't get anywhere near a 3rd round pick. This isn't crazy at all as we see with Dee Ford. 

I think there was more reward to doing it our way. I also recognize there was definite risk involved on top of reality you keep a highly volatile player around that you have no intention on keeping. If we believe we can start being a legit Super Bowl contender as early as 2019 and we know we cannot sign Marcus, then there is compelling reason to trade him now. 

That will be true only if he busts out. Otherwise 1 or 2 seasons of top CB play + a future 3rd is more valuable than a future 2nd and 4th. In the mean time they could have fixed whatever problem they thought Peters had and it would have been a huge advantage for the next decade. Right now Chiefs have no short term replacement for Peters and no picks to make up for it. It's not like we sent an extra guy packing we simply opened up a hole without any considerable return.

There's no secret society of GMs that know more than we do. Everyone knows about their own players and have means to get info about other teams but in the age information we also have access to those. A young GM trying to send a top CB on a rookie deal might have been very questionable for others to pull the trigger but sometimes the price isn't worth the transaction and that seems to be the case with our Peters trade.

Peters will be in the superbowl with the Rams. Peters is the winner here. He gets to the big Hollywood market. My take: He may have acted this way to get out of KC. My guess: He will thrive as a Ram. Young coach and potential endorsements.

Peters will be in the superbowl with the Rams. Peters is the winner here. He gets to the big Hollywood market. My take: He may have acted this way to get out of KC. My guess: He will thrive as a Ram. Young coach and potential endorsements.

If so, it was a big risk. There was a decent chance he could have ended up in Cleveland or Indianapolis.

I wouldn't guarantee the Rams yet. Let's see if they can sustain or of they were a 1 year wonder. The 49ers with Jimmy G. and the Seahawks I wouldn't just hand the Rams the crown.

I wouldn't guarantee the Rams yet. Let's see if they can sustain or of they were a 1 year wonder. The 49ers with Jimmy G. and the Seahawks I wouldn't just hand the Rams the crown.

I think the Rams falter and end up middle of the pack making and not make the playoffs. This makes our 2nd rounder even better of a pick. There is always the one team thast goes to the SB or their conference championship ths t seems Doncaster the next year like Carolina did.

I think the Rams falter and end up middle of the pack making and not make the playoffs. This makes our 2nd rounder even better of a pick. There is always the one team thast goes to the SB or their conference championship ths t seems Doncaster the next year like Carolina did.

I'm with you. I'm not sold on the Rams as a Superbowl favorite. Goff wouldn't give me confidence

I'm with you. I'm not sold on the Rams as a Superbowl favorite. Goff wouldn't give me confidence

The NFC West is in poor shape. Seattle is diving, Arizona doesn't have a QB and has a new coach, SF looked good at the end of the year but how much of that was due to schedule at the end. So yea I think the Rams win the division with or without Peters and then tank early in the playoffs.

The NFC West is in poor shape. Seattle is diving, Arizona doesn't have a QB and has a new coach, SF looked good at the end of the year but how much of that was due to schedule at the end. So yea I think the Rams win the division with or without Peters and then tank early in the playoffs.

Sounds about right

I love you people who post from your phone, then don't look at what you wrote and what your phone autocorrected.

"Doncaster"...Priceless.  :lol:

Archived