What if Mahomes doesn’t pan out?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No team really has a plan when they draft a QBOTF and they don’t pan out. Look at Denver. If Mahomes isn’t the guy, we have already gutted oit defense...we most likely will have a high pick and won’t be in an Eric Fisher situation...that’s the beauty of the rookie pay scale...easier to move on from a 1st round bust

That's why I wished Smith could have stayed but of course he couldn't. Chiefs need a goid reliable backup. I like Bradford but he's to breakable and would probably want to start.

If Smith were 38 or 39 and had a commensurable contract, they would've kept him. But the fact that he is likely to play beyond this contract, they weren't going to extend even a year or two at any rate to keep him as a back up.

Agree we need a veteran. Do we want the upside of a former first rounder that perhaps Andy can rehab and flip for for a pick or a mentor type with no starting upside like Chase Daniel.? Either way it’s an obvious need.

Why? We aren’t in a position where if Mahomes goes down we need someone to save a super bowl run. I’d be more open to a veteran backup in year 3-4 of Mahomes , but not now. For now I’d prefer a cheap warm body, and if Mahomes got hurt and was down for the season, I’d be more interested in gaining draft position than trying to back into a first round playoff loss with a backup.

Why? We aren’t in a position where if Mahomes goes down we need someone to save a super bowl run. I’d be more open to a veteran backup in year 3-4 of Mahomes , but not now. For now I’d prefer a cheap warm body, and if Mahomes got hurt and was down for the season, I’d be more interested in gaining draft position than trying to back into a first round playoff loss with a backup.

Disagree to some extent. What if mahomes is out while we're in the hunt but we expect him back. A vet that can win you a few games is priceless. Would love somebody like Fitzpatrick but he's probably looking for some starts still.

Mahomes can still use a veteran presence to help his acclimation. Heck Alex Smith said having Chase Daniel was invaluable to him in the beginning of trying to learn this offense.

And again a backup Andy can work into a marketable position is ideal too. Andy’s good at this which is why I don’t think Bray is legit although I’m fine bringing him back if he’s gonna legitmately have to compete for a job.

Disagree to some extent. What if mahomes is out while we're in the hunt but we expect him back. A vet that can win you a few games is priceless. Would love somebody like Fitzpatrick but he's probably looking for some starts still.

Because I’ve never trusted even the greatest qb to come back from a lengthy time off to perform in the playoffs without considerable rust. We went all in with Mahomes , and I’m prepared to honor it. I’d rather have a backup that’s a mid round pick on a friendly rookie deal than fork out any money for a veteran backup

Archived