What if Mahomes doesn’t pan out?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same as any position: find his replacement. You need a difference making QB if you want sustainable playoff success. Alex can get us there but will not win, that is why we moved on. You have to take chances to win big. This franchise didn’t for 30 years.

The same as any position: find his replacement. You need a difference making QB if you want sustainable playoff success. Alex can get us there but will not win, that is why we moved on. You have to take chances to win big. This franchise didn’t for 30 years.

This. I think Mahomes will pan out, but if he doesn’t, the chiefs can’t let it scare them into going another thirty years without drafting a qb.

Glennon could be the veteran backup we need. He has starting experience and did a decent job at times. Reid should be able to polish him before flipping for picks and in the mean time we would have an insurance policy. I still think he ends up in Cleveland or something as a starter while they groom the youngster but we'll see. 

Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

The Kansas City Chiefs are having a difficult time concealing their excitement now that Patrick Mahomes II is scheduled to become their starting quarterback.

General manager Brett Veach slipped in a few superlatives at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on Thursday when asked about the plan for Mahomes as a rookie, one that saw him play and start just once, that being the final regular season game against the Broncos.

“We had a plan for Patrick and that was to come in, to learn the offense and not go out there and play until you have a firm mental grasp of what you want to accomplish,’’ Veach said of Mahomes, who spent the rest of the season as a backup to Alex Smith. “All of the physical tools are there. He’s one of the best players I’ve ever seen. But you don’t want to throw him out there too soon. You want them to really be who they are and not have to process too much. Just play. Coach had a vision. We brought him along slowly and we’re excited for him and for the future.’’

Patrick Mahomes showed enough in 2017 to convince the Chiefs he's ready to be their starter. Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

Veach’s optimism is justified. Mahomes showed uncommon ability during training camp, the preseason and against the Broncos.

But remember that officially Mahomes isn’t even the Chiefs’ starting quarterback yet. Smith remains on the roster and will be there until the trade that sends him to Washington becomes official on March 14.

2018 NFL Free Agency

Kirk Cousins. Jimmy Graham. Le'Veon Bell. This class could get wild. Here's everything to know heading into free agency, which begins March 14.

• Latest news, players to watch »

• Barnwell: AFC moves | NFC moves »

• Making biggest decisions for all 32 »

• Destination Cousins: Landing spots »

• 2018 QB carousel: Test for yourself »

Veach said he couldn’t speak about the Smith trade or the one involving cornerback Marcus Peters until then. But he revealed the Chiefs’ plans when he said, “We’re tremendously excited about Pat Mahomes and his future with the Chiefs. We look forward to ushering in a new age of Kansas City Chiefs football.’’

The plan for last season was for Smith to be the starter and Mahomes to take over in 2018, assuming they believed he was ready for the promotion. Mahomes confirmed he was, at least in the eyes of the Chiefs, from the way he played against the Broncos.

He was 22-of-35 for 284 yards and led the Chiefs on a late drive that resulted in a game-winning field goal and a 27-24 victory.

“It was something we all expected from the day Pat stepped on the field in the rookie minicamps, the [offseason practices], training camp,’’ Veach said. “He’s always wowed us. He has a lot to learn yet but he grew tremendously. Having watched him day in and day out just impress us, take to the studying, take to working the craft, he did a tremendous job. I think we knew when the Denver game rolled around he would absolutely make plays and show all the things he showed us throughout the process.’’

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/24182/brett-veach-on-patrick-mahomes-ii-one-of-the-best-ive-ever-seen

This is where I am. Andy can develop and flip QBs like nobody else in the league. Let’s get s legit backup he can do this with.

As they went through the Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks, Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks listed Bridgewater as a nice fit for the Chiefs for several reasons. He said:

Everything about Teddy Bridgewater in terms of a teammate is off the charts, outstanding. Plus it gives them just a little veteran insurance there. Teddy Bridgewater goes under Andy Reid, gets himself healthy, probably ends up balling out in the preseason and they end up spinning him for a pick.

This is where I am. Andy can develop and flip QBs like nobody else in the league. Let’s get s legit backup he can do this with.

As they went through the Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks, Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks listed Bridgewater as a nice fit for the Chiefs for several reasons. He said:

Everything about Teddy Bridgewater in terms of a teammate is off the charts, outstanding. Plus it gives them just a little veteran insurance there. Teddy Bridgewater goes under Andy Reid, gets himself healthy, probably ends up balling out in the preseason and they end up spinning

I actually would like this. If health wasn't an issue he's a good qb. 2 years since he's played should equal a team friendly contract and i doubt there's a starters market out there for him.

I actually would like this. If health wasn't an issue he's a good qb. 2 years since he's played should equal a team friendly contract and i doubt there's a starters market out there for him.

If I’m Bridgewater I may sign a team friendly deal with Andy because it could ultimately make him more in the long run. I can also see somebody signing him and giving him a shot as a starter.

Don't sign a starting QB (or want to be starter) to be the backup, too many headaches. Most backups know they are backups and have accepted that role. They may secretly want to be the starter but they know they are the backup.

Those who believe they are still starter material rarely work out as backups.

If I’m Bridgewater I may sign a team friendly deal with Andy because it could ultimately make him more in the long run. I can also see somebody signing him and giving him a shot as a starter.

Arizona

I am gonna slap the next guy that compares mahomes to Favre...

Just cuz he can throw the ball a mile with zip on it.. they are no where near the same guys.... Mahommes is better. Because Mahommes is smarter..

Don't sign a starting QB (or want to be starter) to be the backup, too many headaches. Most backups know they are backups and have accepted that role. They may secretly want to be the starter but they know they are the backup.

Those who believe they are still starter material rarely work out as backups.

I think you should constantly be trying developing backup QBs that want to be starters rather than settling for a career backup type you will never be able to get a draft pick for and doesn’t pose any competition for your starter.

If that guy’s not available then sure go with the reliable veteran career backup.

I think you should constantly be trying developing backup QBs that want to be starters rather than settling for a career backup type you will never be able to get a draft pick for and doesn’t pose any competition for your starter.

If that guy’s not available then sure go with the reliable veteran career backup.

Yes but right now that should be the third guy. Mahomes would benefit from a vet presence in the qb room for the next couple of years imo.

Archived