Wilkerson released

I’m starting to understand your viewpoint here. You are saying this move was directly related to kneeling before games. I think it’s got nothing to do with that. We had solved that issue by keeping him in the locker room during National athemn. If this was Eric Berry and he was kneeling, there’s no way he’d be sent packing. Peters consistent irrational emotional outbursts distracted from his own cause more than anything else. And that’s also what sent him packing. Same reason he released Terrel Owens. And that certainly doesn’t mean you never take a chance on players again. It would be the ultimate stereotype to lump everyone into any one category. You have to look at each player individually and decide. Tyreek Bill came with a ton of offield baggage but has been a model citizen so far. That said there’s a tipping point in a locker room where chemistry goes south.

Keeping him in the locker room was bad enough...no reason not to let him have his peace on this issue. He wasn't doing it to piss anyone off.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping him in the locker room was bad enough...no reason not to let him have his peace on this issue. He wasn't doing it to piss anyone off.

But he was pissing people off and costing the business that paid him customers and money. Sporting events are supposed to bring people together, not tear them apart in political battles. For me personally I didn't care one bit.  But others really did. No business of any kind is going to let their employees sabotage sales whether intentional or not. As such do whatever you want to represent your cause on your time, but when you represent this business at least do not become a detriment. It's not even remotely out of line to suggest a player hang out in the locker room. 

Should add Herm Edwards was on Sportsradio 810 today and absolutely passionately ripped anyone who would call Clark Hunt racist in any way. He said something akin to I know this guy and I guarantee those saying Clark was motivated by race to trade Peters do not know him. I'm gonna post the link to this interview later because he gave the Hunt family credit for opening doors nobody else would, not closing them. 

he was off red BY THE MEDIA achance to say his peace on what was on his mind and he declined.. instead  he turned up his radio in the LR when others were being interviewed and acted like a child.  

But he was pissing people off and costing the business that paid him customers and money. Sporting events are supposed to bring people together, not tear them apart in political battles. For me personally I didn't care one bit.  But others really did. No business of any kind is going to let their employees sabotage sales whether intentional or not. As such do whatever you want to represent your cause on your time, but when you represent this business at least do not become a detriment. It's not even remotely out of line to suggest a player hang out in the locker room. 

Should add Herm Edwards was on Sportsradio 810 today and absolutely passionately ripped anyone who would call Clark Hunt racist in any way. He said something akin to I know this guy and I guarantee those saying Clark was motivated by race to trade Peters do not know him. I'm gonna post the link to this interview later because he gave the Hunt family credit for opening doors nobody else would, not closing them. 

Yea  he was pretty point blank about his thought of people who want to think it was a Race issue 

Yea he was pretty point blank about his thought of people who want to think it was a Race issue

Let me be clear here. I'm in no way calling Clark Hunt Racist. I am however saying that my opinion is that he did/does not understand the Protest and when the NFL/President bit back at it he cowered in the corner and wanted to do everything he could to keep his Franchise clean.

Other protesters continued their protests throughout the rest of the season and they weren't shut down or kept in the locker room.

Either way, this is not a forum conducive to my opinion on this issue. Thats ok.

I'll shut it down if you guys can. If I'm quoted or inferred to I'll likely respond.

But he was pissing people off and costing the business that paid him customers and money. Sporting events are supposed to bring people together, not tear them apart in political battles. For me personally I didn't care one bit. But others really did. No business of any kind is going to let their employees sabotage sales whether intentional or not. As such do whatever you want to represent your cause on your time, but when you represent this business at least do not become a detriment. It's not even remotely out of line to suggest a player hang out in the locker room.

I apologize in advance and mean no disrespect but I find your first two sentences extremely short sighted.

You have a job I assume?

I know where you are heading with this and it's an entirely different platform.

In my business we are conducting our own very public protest as well though so take that for what it's worth.

he was off red BY THE MEDIA achance to say his peace on what was on his mind and he declined.. instead  he turned up his radio in the LR when others were being interviewed and acted like a child.  

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article202842889.html

Herm Edwards believes race was not a factor in the Marcus Peters trade

BY PETE GRATHOFF

pgrathoff@kcstar.com

March 01, 2018 11:13 AM

Updated 2 hours 35 minutes ago

Count former Chiefs coach Herm Edwards among those not surprised the team will trade cornerback Marcus Peters to the Rams.

While speaking on WHB (810 AM) on Thursday, Edwards said Peters had become too much of a distraction. He was asked if there was a double standard because tight end Travis Kelce has had a history of on-field distractions as well.

“They made a statement with a star. That’s not the person. If the tight end continues to do what he’s doing, he might be gone, too,” Edwards said.

Edwards, who was the Chiefs head coach from 2006-08, added that it was wrong to say Peters was dealt because he’s black, while Kelce stayed because he’s white.

“I’m not making this a black-and-white thing,” Edwards said. “I know some people will go that way, because that’s easy to do. I’m not making this a black-and-white thing. I’m not saying they got rid of him because he’s black player. Some people want to go down that road ... and I’m not going down that road because of this: I know the Hunt family and I know their head coach.

“If anyone thinks this is a black-and-white thing, you better figure out who the Hunt family is. Think about when this organization got started, and the players that they went after, the players that were on this team at the conception of this team. They went down into the SWAC, to Grambling (State) and to those schools and drafted players of color that were on this team, so let’s not make this a black-and-white thing. We can do it, but not on my watch. You ain’t doing that.

“Don’t go down that road with the Hunt family, and don’t go down that road with Andy Reid. That’s the wrong road to travel, guys. You better look up your history before you can think about that one.”

Later in the discussion, Edwards praised the late Lamar Hunt, who founded the Chiefs, for opening doors in the NFL for black players, and for the Chiefs getting him his first job in the NFL.

But the reason for the trade, Edwards believes, is the Chiefs tired of having Peters’ actions become a talking point after a game. Edwards, who is the Arizona State football coach, added that he believed it had nothing to do with the protests during the national anthem.

Peters’ outbursts on the field did not reflect well on the Chiefs, the Hunt family, the NFL or the game of football, Edwards said.

“It’s an emotional, violent game, but within the framework of the rules, we have to make sure our emotions don’t spill over and become a distraction for the game,” he said. “That has taken place not once, not twice, numerous times.

“It’s a repeat offender. When it continues to be, then all of a sudden, then it becomes his personality, and it’s like, ‘You know what? I can do it. I can get a 15-yard penalty. Could lose the game for us, by the way, could lose the game, but it’s OK, because I’m a good player and in the Pro Bowl and it don’t matter.’ It matters, because the good players are held to a higher standard."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article202842889.html

BY PETE GRATHOFF

pgrathoff@kcstar.com

Count former Chiefs coach Herm Edwards among those not surprised the team will trade cornerback Marcus Peters to the Rams.

While speaking on WHB (810 AM) on Thursday, Edwards said Peters had become too much of a distraction. He was asked if there was a double standard because tight end Travis Kelce has had a history of on-field distractions as well.

“They made a statement with a star. That’s not the person. If the tight end continues to do what he’s doing, he might be gone, too,” Edwards said.

Edwards, who was the Chiefs head coach from 2006-08, added that it was wrong to say Peters was dealt because he’s black, while Kelce stayed because he’s white.

“I’m not making this a black-and-white thing,” Edwards said. “I know some people will go that way, because that’s easy to do. I’m not making this a black-and-white thing. I’m not saying they got rid of him because he’s black player. Some people want to go down that road ... and I’m not going down that road because of this: I know the Hunt family and I know their head coach.

“If anyone thinks this is a black-and-white thing, you better figure out who the Hunt family is. Think about when this organization got started, and the players that they went after, the players that were on this team at the conception of this team. They went down into the SWAC, to Grambling (State) and to those schools and drafted players of color that were on this team, so let’s not make this a black-and-white thing. We can do it, but not on my watch. You ain’t doing that.

“Don’t go down that road with the Hunt family, and don’t go down that road with Andy Reid. That’s the wrong road to travel, guys. You better look up your history before you can think about that one.”

Later in the discussion, Edwards praised the late Lamar Hunt, who founded the Chiefs, for opening doors in the NFL for black players, and for the Chiefs getting him his first job in the NFL.

But the reason for the trade, Edwards believes, is the Chiefs tired of having Peters’ actions become a talking point after a game. Edwards, who is the Arizona State football coach, added that he believed it had nothing to do with the protests during the national anthem.

Peters’ outbursts on the field did not reflect well on the Chiefs, the Hunt family, the NFL or the game of football, Edwards said.

“It’s an emotional, violent game, but within the framework of the rules, we have to make sure our emotions don’t spill over and become a distraction for the game,” he said. “That has taken place not once, not twice, numerous times.

“It’s a repeat offender. When it continues to be, then all of a sudden, then it becomes his personality, and it’s like, ‘You know what? I can do it. I can get a 15-yard penalty. Could lose the game for us, by the way, could lose the game, but it’s OK, because I’m a good player and in the Pro Bowl and it don’t matter.’ It matters, because the good players are held to a higher standard."

For anyone to believe it's about Race is ignorant and neive.

He also declined an offer from the KCMO police to work with them on solutions to his issues.   

He also declined an offer from the KCMO police to work with them on solutions to his issues.

It's clear the majority have your minds set. No worries. No more need to justify your position. Unless someone else is making more of a stink of this than I am?

I know where you are heading with this and it's an entirely different platform.

In my business we are conducting our own very public protest as well though so take that for what it's worth.

It's different how? Different because you don't count on 80,000 fans and business sponsors? Different because your employees don't make millions of dollars per year? Are you allowed to do your own individual protests about any issue you see fit on television wearing your employee uniform?

Is your very public protest on prime time national television during the national anthem? Or is it less public than that.

I just spent 20 minutes taking a season ticket holder survey on the importance of parking lot attendance friendliness and concession stand and usher service. The entire organization focuses on customer service and image from top to bottom. They are not interested in alienating people. It's a game and entertainment.

BY PETE GRATHOFF

pgrathoff@kcstar.com

Love how he gets the point about this being a football issue. Kelce's on field issues improved as he approached the suspension level. Peters got worse. Clearly the coaching staff made headway with Kelce and his issues but could not make headway with  Peters. And this gets back to the point that Tim Grunhard said last week about nobody in the organization being able to get through to Peters. It's hard to trust a guy in that scenario. And you certainly don't want to give that guy big money. 

This whole thing sucks. But I'd rather the Chiefs acknowledge they haven't been able to foster a workable relationship with a player rather than letting it completely implode later. And as Herm Edwards intimates, you can't just let players do whatever they want to ruin a culture you work hard to build. Chiefs should accept some measure of responsibility but this is clearly primarily on Peters 

It's different how? Different because you don't count on 80,000 fans and business sponsors? Different because your employees don't make millions of dollars per year? Are you allowed to do your own individual protests about any issue you see fit on television wearing your employee uniform?

Is your very public protest on prime time national television during the national anthem? Or is it less public than that.

I just spent 20 minutes taking a season ticket holder survey on the importance of parking lot attendance friendliness and concession stand and usher service. The entire organization focuses on customer service and image from top to bottom. They are not interested in alienating people. It's a game and entertainment.

I don't need your approval of my business' protest. It's extremely public and much larger than you'd like to believe.

Why is this a good point? Why would it be necessary for Peters to work with them on anything?

Nevermind. I get it. Unless the popular road is traveled, don't rock the boat.

Let's see, Peters was protesting about cops and racial injustice but he didn't want to work with the cops to try and work towards a solution that helps everyone.

Yep, I don't know why Peters might have wanted to be involved. Unless he just wanted to be part of the problem vs part of the solution. Then again you seem to be on the same wave length as him so you probably don't see the reason to work with them either.

Let's see, Peters was protesting about cops and racial injustice but he didn't want to work with the cops to try and work towards a solution that helps everyone.

Yep, I don't know why Peters might have wanted to be involved. Unless he just wanted to be part of the problem vs part of the solution. Then again you seem to be on the same wave length as him so you probably don't see the reason to work with them either.

Please don't assume you know me.

But he was pissing people off and costing the business that paid him customers and money. Sporting events are supposed to bring people together, not tear them apart in political battles. For me personally I didn't care one bit. But others really did. No business of any kind is going to let their employees sabotage sales whether intentional or not. As such do whatever you want to represent your cause on your time, but when you represent this business at least do not become a detriment. It's not even remotely out of line to suggest a player hang out in the locker room.

That is as a really good interview. Agreed he was passionate about the Hunt family and what they have done.

I don't need your approval of my business' protest. It's extremely public and much larger than you'd like to believe.

I'm not saying I approve or disapprove of your business protest. I really don't care. But it's most likely not as public and large as the NFL and Monday Night Football. Your business is welcome to decide that they want to protest. And I support their efforts to speak to whatever issue they choose. They are also welcome to tell you not to do your own individual protests while you are on the clock and at work if they choose to do so.

Bottom line here from a Chiefs perspective going forward is we need to evaluate and potentially make changes so that this type of situation is minimized as much as reasonably possible. The problem is you can't afford to simply avoid any player with any character issues in a talent driven league. I'm sure there are some things we can do to better evaluate who not only fits in our clubhouse culture, but likewise who is highly motivated to help this team win games. And that certainly applies to a player like Wilkerson.  

It's clear the majority have your minds set. No worries. No more need to justify your position. Unless someone else is making more of a stink of this than I am?

This board would serve no purpose if everyone agreed on everything. I think people just want to see tangible rebuttals to their side. There does come a point where every debate becomes circular and pointless though. Good news is you can move on to a different topic and be back in the majority. Who knows. Point is I appreciate you perspective even if I do not agree.  

Archived