Andy Reid made the call on Peters.

Keep reading

Oh i get you're saying they're not exactly the same i just don't think there's a comparison to be made here. Half the league has contract disputes or thinks they should be paid more.

Btw I've seen interviews about Andy like the one nfl network did with all his assistants that became head coaches. They say Andy can be a real hardass but cares about the players. As long as you're putting in the effort and trying, he let's them be themselves.

This is echoed by players. They love playing for him not because he's a softie but because he gets the most out of his players and cares about them.

And that makes sense. You can't be as successful as he is by being a softie as a coach. Any respectable leader will tell you the same.

Oh i get you're saying they're not exactly the same i just don't think there's a comparison to be made here. Half the league has contract disputes or thinks they should be paid more.

Btw I've seen interviews about Andy like the one nfl network did with all his assistants that became head coaches. They say Andy can be a real hardass but cares about the players. As long as you're putting in the effort and trying, he let's them be themselves.

This is echoed by players. They love playing for him not because he's a softie but because he gets the most out of his players and cares about them.

And that makes sense. You can't be as successful as he is by being a softie as a coach. Any respectable leader will tell you the same.

Excellent. I agree with much of your post.

So what about the narrative that Andy was "Big Red?" A father figure that Peters respects?

Only lends credence to the possibility that Peters wasn't the headache proposed. Only to Clark. Maybe?

Look, I don't why the hell Peters was traded for a pittance. None of the facts make sense and they all paint the organization on a worse light than Peters himself. That's my take and none of you have to agree with it. I'm ok with that.

Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't necessary, it was done for convenience, was completely embarrassing and a huge black mark on this organization and in my eyes, allowing players control over their own destinies through their behavior.

Pitiful. I'll get over it. Right now I'm appalled and pissed.

Ignore EVERY narrative out there for one moment and answer this one question.

Marcus Peters has great talent and potential to be a HOF corner back in the NFL. Why were there so few teams interested in his services if every team was contacted about a trade? Keep in mind the compensation the Chiefs got and think about the draft capital teams had at their disposal.

This should be a red flag to even the staunchest supporter of Marcus Peters. Not every player turns around their behaviors. Plenty of examples in the NFL every season that support this. 

My opinion to this is...The same courtesy that was shown to Alex Smith was shown to Marcus Peters. (In the Front office/Owner is wrong version)

And if you like playing devil's advocate you can also use...Marcus told them, I'm not playing for them and I'll ruin that trade. They (Veach) was left hamstrung and took the best deal he could get. Unfortunately in this case the Head coach is to blame in this situation for not managing his players properly from the start. Period. A legally binding contract backs that up. All you have to do is enforce it.

While I literally can't disagree with your assessment, I personally have to completely disagree with how it was handled. Just because only two players have been suspended (and subsequently jettisoned) under Reid doesn't mean that he works well with problem players. In fact his actions show completely the opposite. The players love him. He's a big softie and apparently allows his players too much leeway or this would have been handled better from the start.

At any rate, my intent to mention to fire Reid in the first place is due to the fact that he wants to claim responsibility for this whole dilemma. My contention is that if he wants to shoulder the blame for this then Clark Hunt should fire him. It's a blatant mismanagement of elite level talent from the start and directly affects the potential success of the team. You selected him, the kid has shown he's a flat Baller. Any way you like to spin the rest of it is fine but that fact remains.

Now, if for some unknown (protesting) reason it's not Reid, that puts this squarely on Clark Hunt and for me, that's even more ugly and horrendously worse.

The situations aren't exactly the same, no, but the Steelers took a hard line with a disgruntled Leveon Bell and now (after him trying to hold out etc.) will likely sign on the dotted line for a record breaking RB contract shortly. No, not the same as we had but it's pretty darn close.

Either way, Peters (who shares plenty of blame in all of this) got exactly what he wanted through his immaturity and actions. The simple fact that this was allowed shows players that (specifically in KC) we can control our own destinies. Terrible precedent to set.

Keep in mind we have an old defensive staff and this is where I think Andy actually needs to look himself most in the mirror. We need a surge of youth on the defensive staff that can better identify with younger players and potentially handle a player like this better. I’m just not convinced based on what I be heard that anyone can be confident they can reach him.

And again he clearly really wanted back on the west coast so this wasn’t a player with any more than 2 years left here under ideal circumstances. And also keep in mind the two key players in bringing Peters here are no longer here. And likewise neither madd any real move to get Peters despite the low price.

Keep in mind we have an old defensive staff and this is where I think Andy actually needs to look himself most in the mirror. We need a surge of youth on the defensive staff that can better identify with younger players and potentially handle a player like this better. I’m just not convinced based on what I be heard that anyone can be confident they can reach him.

And again he clearly really wanted back on the west coast so this wasn’t a player with any more than 2 years left here under ideal circumstances.

I'll take two years of Marcus Peters holding out (not getting paid because to hold out he's in breach of contract) and no compensation over what this whole situation says to me morally.

I'll take two years of Marcus Peters holding out (not getting paid because to hold out he's in breach of contract) and no compensation over what this whole situation says to me morally.

I’m not at all understanding how this is a morality issue?

Holy Crap!  There are six topics and over five hundred posts on the Marcus Peters trade, it's just not that difficult. He's a dumbshit asshole, he fucked up on the field and off the field, they dumped his dumb ass, end of story.

Evad, has spoken. Who gives a shit if it was Andy or Clark? We don't know who made the call and we don't know why. So to argue over who's wild guess is correct, makes little sense. He is gone and that is all that matters.

Its like Dorsey. "He wanted too much money."  "Andy said its him or me."  "Cutting Maclin over the phone."  "Bad contract negotiations with vets."  The truth probably has something to do with everything people are mentioning and they added up to hurting the team more than helping in.

While I literally can't disagree with your assessment, I personally have to completely disagree with how it was handled. Just because only two players have been suspended (and subsequently jettisoned) under Reid doesn't mean that he works well with problem players. In fact his actions show completely the opposite. The players love him. He's a big softie and apparently allows his players too much leeway or this would have been handled better from the start.

At any rate, my intent to mention to fire Reid in the first place is due to the fact that he wants to claim responsibility for this whole dilemma. My contention is that if he wants to shoulder the blame for this then Clark Hunt should fire him. It's a blatant mismanagement of elite level talent from the start and directly affects the potential success of the team. You selected him, the kid has shown he's a flat Baller. Any way you like to spin the rest of it is fine but that fact remains.

Now, if for some unknown (protesting) reason it's not Reid, that puts this squarely on Clark Hunt and for me, that's even more ugly and horrendously worse.

The situations aren't exactly the same, no, but the Steelers took a hard line with a disgruntled Leveon Bell and now (after him trying to hold out etc.) will likely sign on the dotted line for a record breaking RB contract shortly. No, not the same as we had but it's pretty darn close.

Either way, Peters (who shares plenty of blame in all of this) got exactly what he wanted through his immaturity and actions. The simple fact that this was allowed shows players that (specifically in KC) we can control our own destinies. Terrible precedent to set.

Well when is the "elite level talented' player supposed to manage HIMSELF ????  He's making millions of dollars playing a game.  I make pennies compared to a professional football player yet I know how to conduct myself at work.  Things do not always roll perfectly at work but I know I can't just up and leave, or go yell at the boss, without some sort of punishment, if not outright firing!

Quit making excuses for the guy, for the whole league for that matter.  Talent doesn't have to come with BS behavior.  

Well when is the "elite level talented' player supposed to manage HIMSELF ???? He's making millions of dollars playing a game. I make pennies compared to a professional football player yet I know how to conduct myself at work. Things do not always roll perfectly at work but I know I can't just up and leave, or go yell at the boss, without some sort of punishment, if not outright firing!

Quit making excuses for the guy, for the whole league for that matter. Talent doesn't have to come with BS behavior.

Never once have I made an excuse for Peters blatant unprofessionalism.

And again he clearly really wanted back on the west coast so this wasn’t a player with any more than 2 years left here under ideal circumstances. And also keep in mind the two key players in bringing Peters here are no longer here. And likewise neither madd any real move to get Peters despite the low price.

I call b.s. on this from my experience on the older staff part but agree with the last part of the West coast comment. I have more years in the military than most of the kids joining today. The leadership is almost always older and we have malcontents but we get through to them. Their are problems sure but the signed a contract a d do their job or their are consequences like lost of pay, rank, extra duty etc. We also work to see their side and try to help them see our side too.

Are there times where it is impossible, yes, but that is when a less than honorable discharge or a ban to re enlistment is done on them, further consequences. Some times a change of scenery, another unit or different job skill is needed, kind of like Peters getting his wish to be on west coast. We have yet to see if it works but I don't think it was a lack of trying or them being an older staff that was the problem, rather it looks like they tried it all to a non receptive player anf finally did what was best by moving on. I think it was best for the team, the players, coaches etc. Sucks but again like pointed out before it was not like we had teams knocking down the door for him too.

My opinion to this is...The same courtesy that was shown to Alex Smith was shown to Marcus Peters. (In the Front office/Owner is wrong version)

And if you like playing devil's advocate you can also use...Marcus told them, I'm not playing for them and I'll ruin that trade. They (Veach) was left hamstrung and took the best deal he could get. Unfortunately in this case the Head coach is to blame in this situation for not managing his players properly from the start. Period. A legally binding contract backs that up. All you have to do is enforce it.

Again. You cannot make a person change if they don't want to. Otherwise why would we continue to see people make bad decisions after bad decisions.

You say Reid failed Peters. Maybe...just maybe...Peters failed Peters. I know it's hard to place blame in that case but it is a reality.

Archived