Quinn to Miami

Just came across the wire that LA dealt Quinn to the Dolphins. He was mentioned as a possible chip in the Peters trade. Wonder what it would have taken to get him. Would you have taken Quinn over next year’s Rams 2nd rounder? Straight up for Peters?

More Detail: Miami basically had to give LA their 4th round pick. Doesn't sound like it would have taken much. Maybe LA is renegotiating his contract? He's still a talented guy at a position we are in desperate need. 

Interesting is this part since they have an expensive d line now:

The addition of Quinn fuels questions about Suh's future. His cap charge is the largest of any nonquarterback, and the Dolphins could decide to move on after three years. They'd have to made a decision by March 19, when $8.5 million of his $17 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed. Currently, there's no guaranteed money remaining on his contract and they can recoup a $17 million cap savings by designating him a post-June 1 cut.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22626876/los-angeles-rams-trading-lb-robert-quinn-miami-dolphins

More Detail: Miami basically had to give LA their 4th round pick. Doesn't sound like it would have taken much. Maybe LA is renegotiating his contract? He's still a talented guy at a position we are in desperate need. 

yeah, but for 11 million dollars I would look elsewhere.  we already have 25 million(at least) tied up in cap $ on OLB with Houston and Ford.

It's a salary dump and I'm glad KC didn't take the bait.

Interesting is this part since they have an expensive d line now:

The addition of Quinn fuels questions about Suh's future. His cap charge is the largest of any nonquarterback, and the Dolphins could decide to move on after three years. They'd have to made a decision by March 19, when $8.5 million of his $17 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed. Currently, there's no guaranteed money remaining on his contract and they can recoup a $17 million cap savings by designating him a post-June 1 cut.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22626876/los-angeles-rams-trading-lb-robert-quinn-miami-dolphins

so if there is no guaranteed money remaining on his contract, how can 8.5 million become guaranteed on march 19th??? :blink:

Per Ian Rappaport:

If Quinn was offered in the deal, the Chiefs declined, instead sending a sixth-rounder along with Peters to the Rams in exchange for a 2019 second-round pick and a 2018 fourth-round pick.

As NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport states in his tweet, Quinn is due $22 million over the next two seasons, and I’d guess this is not a number the Chiefs wanted to add to their cap as they try to free up space (notice the release of safety Ron Parker). The Chiefs likely received the fourth-rounder instead of Quinn.

With all that being said, the 27-year-old Quinn can still impact a football game, so it was probably worth considering.

I still don’t like the fact we traded Peters but seeing Quinn’s salary makes me glad we didn’t get him. Would make no sense to bring on that money if the reason we traded Peters was because we weren’t going to sign him long term.

That being said I hope we have plans at OLB

I still don’t like the fact we traded Peters but seeing Quinn’s salary makes me glad we didn’t get him. Would make no sense to bring on that money if the reason we traded Peters was because we weren’t going to sign him long term.

That being said I hope we have plans at OLB

I think a lot of it depends on whether or not they keep Tanoh at OLB or they moved him there out of sheer necessity. If they leave him there and let hi continue to develop it lessens the need going forward to an extent. If they move him back to DE  I think we see an edge rusher drafted in our first 2 picks. We may anyway. Houstons contract is becoming cost prohibitive.

I think a lot of it depends on whether or not they keep Tanoh at OLB or they moved him there out of sheer necessity. If they leave him there and let hi continue to develop it lessens the need going forward to an extent. If they move him back to DE I think we see an edge rusher drafted in our first 2 picks. We may anyway. Houstons contract is becoming cost prohibitive.

If we wanted Quinn I can’t imagine it was to move him back to DE. Right? And yet what was plan for Dee Ford with Quinn added? Sub package guy? I’m still confused about this but I’ve always assumed Tanoh would be a DE.

S

If we wanted Quinn I can’t imagine it was to move him back to DE. Right? And yet what was plan for Dee Ford with Quinn added? Sub package guy? I’m still confused about this but I’ve always assumed Tanoh would be a DE.

Submit ppw to the league saying he passed his physical and let his ass walk. That would be my guess. Then when they couldn't pull Quinn they fell back to "Oh we expect Ford to be great."

S

Submit ppw to the league saying he passed his physical and let his ass walk. That would be my guess. Then when they couldn't pull Quinn they fell back to "Oh we expect Ford to be great."

That certainly is possible. I want to know if he passed or not. I thought he didn’t.

That certainly is possible. I want to know if he passed or not. I thought he didn’t.

I don't think he's taken it yet. I remember what you are talking about. I believe what they were saying is "he is not expected to pass his physical". But I'm also sure if the team wanted it to happen and he was anywhere close, they could "pass" him. I have a hard time believing after this long his back is still in bad shape. If it was I don't believe Veach would be singing his praises.

This looks like a salary dump by the Rams.

They only got a 4th for it, basically.

It's obvious now they shopped Quinn to the Chiefs and they said no.

KC didn't wanna take the cap hit and Quinn's numbers have decreased each year the past 4 years.

I guess I’m the only one who thinks Veach should of took Quinn+2nd rounder for Peters. Hell you cut Tamba and you almost pay for Quinn plus it’s not guaranteed so can cut at anytime if we wish.

We could have a shit ton of cap room and Quinn would of fit into it easily and still get major help at other spots in FA.

Waste of a 4th errrr

That's the endgame when you spend a first round pick on a lb with a bad back

Actually Ford has never been a LB, that's the sad part. We picked up a one-trick pony hoping he would progress while learning a whole new position. A huge reach. 

Actually Ford has never been a LB, that's the sad part. We picked up a one-trick pony hoping he would progress while learning a whole new position. A huge reach.

Half the 3-4 OLBs in the league have never played linebacker when drafted. The majority of them have only played DE in college, because so few team actually run a 3-4 at that level.

Archived