Chiefs may have to say goodbye to Albert Wilson

From Arrowhead Pride:

Kansas City Chiefs GM Brett Veach gave us a revealing look at what could be coming on March 14 when free agency begins. WR Albert Wilson is one of the Chiefs top free agents and Veach was asked if he thought Wilson could get looks from other teams around the league.

“Well, Matt is in Chicago and he knows all about him,” Veach said.

That would be Matt Nagy, the Bears new head coach. I chuckled when I saw that comment because it seemed so honest! Wilson would be a great fit in Chicago with Nagy bringing his version of the West Coast offense there.

“I think when teams watch Albert they will understand how valuable he is and we certainly feel the same way,” Veach said. “We would be super excited to get him back, but we know we have to go through the process here.”

Wilson played just well enough last year to possibly price him out of the Chiefs range. I look at the big picture on the Chiefs offense in that you have three main weapons -- Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Add in Chris Conley and anyone who comes into that offense is likely to be the fourth or fifth option at best.

In Chicago, meanwhile, Wilson’s familiarity with the offense could be critical for a bunch of guys learning the offense for the first time.

Wilson was a receiver that was too short (5’9) and a school that was too small (Georgia State) that the Chiefs took a chance on. His growth has been very cool to see and I hope he makes a boatload of money this offseason.

He looked good with a qb who wasn’t afraid to get him in a rythym.

He did. I’d be more open to bringing him back if we didn’t have cheetah. I feel like there has to be a cap on how many receivers you have that are less than 5’10.

I think Wilson is coming into his own and he showed what things he can do when Mahomes is under center. He does a lot of underneath stuff that isn't flashy but he makes it work. Would love to see him stay. Unfortunately the game film from the Denver game may cause another team to overpay for his services. Chiefs will make an offer but I believe some other team will offer more. Like Chicago.

Nagy needs him a lot more than we do and his monetary value is greater in Chicago. I like the connection they showed in Denver but I wouldn't be sad to see him go. Mahomes will make plenty of receivers look good.

This is where I'm at. That denver game was too little too late.

Was it not him that dropped a perfectly thrown ball over his shoulder for a td? He would be nice to have again but if he is offered way to much, time for us to get a comp pick then.

I don't like to look at the Denver game for Wilson only because that what typically happens when a back up comes in. They go to the third or fourth tier receivers because that's who they have chemistry with. I would like to see how Wilson does when Mahomes is there going to Hill, Kelce, and Hunt. The good thing about Mahomes is that he will spread them all out all over the field to several different targets but that doesn't necessarily mean that Wilson is going to do anything because the ball is so spread out. Concentration of passes, when it isn't spread out evenly, is going to fall on Kelce, Hunt, and Hill.

Don't get me wrong, we to need players beyond that to contribute and I do understand that Smith missed Wilson often, but obviously the production will be somewhere between Denver and the other games. Not just because Jennifer was a big game for him but rather because the targets won't be there numbers wise.

I don't like to look at the Denver game for Wilson only because that what typically happens when a back up comes in. They go to the third or fourth tier receivers because that's who they have chemistry with. I would like to see how Wilson does when Mahomes is there going to Hill, Kelce, and Hunt. The good thing about Mahomes is that he will spread them all out all over the field to several different targets but that doesn't necessarily mean that Wilson is going to do anything because the ball is so spread out. Concentration of passes, when it isn't spread out evenly, is going to fall on Kelce, Hunt, and Hill.

Don't get me wrong, we to need players beyond that to contribute and I do understand that Smith missed Wilson often, but obviously the production will be somewhere between Denver and the other games. Not just because Jennifer was a big game for him but rather because the targets won't be there numbers wise.

Meh. We don't need to pay big money for a third or fourth receiving option with Mahomes.

I think that is a poor way to evaluate Chiefs receivers with Alex Smith AND an Andy Reid offense. Reid historically fielded teams that didn't produce a 1,000 yard receiver. If the #1 receiver isn't getting 1,000 yards then the role players aren't going to be posting great numbers for their role either. Add in Alex Smith and his safe decision making and emphasis on throwing to TEs and RBs and that reduces the numbers even more. That's not Wilson's fault.

Was it not him that dropped a perfectly thrown ball over his shoulder for a td? He would be nice to have again but if he is offered way to much, time for us to get a comp pick then.

Didn't Kelce drop a TD pass and became so frustrated he barfed on his hands the very next play too when the ball came his way? I'd be more concerned if it was consistent. He had one of the highest catch to targets ratio for Chiefs receivers.

If Wilson is only ever going to be a #3 or #4, no reason to give him bigger money to stay. His production and lack of wow factor can easily be replaced. I suspect Mahomes will make WRs better more so than Alex ever did, so I’d rather get someone new and cheaper.

If Wilson is only ever going to be a #3 or #4, no reason to give him bigger money to stay. His production and lack of wow factor can easily be replaced. I suspect Mahomes will make WRs better more so than Alex ever did, so I’d rather get someone new and cheaper.

This

I agree. I just don't think Wilson's talent for his role should be brushed away like dust considering Reid's history with the receiver position. Basically, when judging a receiver in his offense you have to look outside standard stats to measure their success in their role. That's my thoughts. That said, the RPO offense was more efficient with Wilson then it was without him.

Like most people said Wilson will likely be a #3 WR in KC making him at best the #5 in targets. Even though I like Wilson's progress in 2017 there's really no need to pay him the big bucks. Also looking at Veach's statement clearly shows that Wilson is Nagy's guy and will probably look to unite with him in Chicago where he will definitely be higher in the depth chart.

Archived