Flowers to Chargers on 1 yr deal

Way to lazy to link it from my phone but espn has it...

My question now...the chiefs dropped flowers because they want big, fast corners, and not small guys defending the evolution of the big, fast receiver....so where does flowers go? To a team that will play the Chiefs twice...a team themselves that has nothing but small receivers...you know, the kind that Flowers will do well against...

The Chiefs damn well better use the flowers money to sign a. smith and Houston to extensions...

Way to lazy to link it from my phone but espn has it...

My question now...the chiefs dropped flowers because they want big, fast corners, and not small guys defending the evolution of the big, fast receiver....so where does flowers go? To a team that will play the Chiefs twice...a team themselves that has nothing but small receivers...you know, the kind that Flowers will do well against...

The Chiefs damn well better use the flowers money to sign a. smith and Houston to extensions...

Yep.  There was a long drought in quality CB in KC since the days of James Hasty and Dale Carter.  Until BF came along.

I hope it was worth throwing it away to save cap, run a suspect system, and get in line with the other lemming NFL franchises flailing to copy the latest and greatest.

Flower contract details

1.5 signing bonus-guaranteed

1.5 base salary-guaranteed

1 million if he plays 90% of defensive snaps AND Chargers make AFC Championship

1 Million if he plays 78% of defensive snaps

For all the bitching and moaning about the release that I read(twitter, other boards, Ect.) is seems the Chiefs are in the same mind set as most teams in the league. With Bigger and Faster WR's these days, you aren't going to pay a short CB a lot of money to play the outside. It was reported Flowers was unhappy to have to play the slot, and frankly, the Chiefs would of been dumb to pay him 10 plus million to play it. 

With that said, I think Flowers will do well in SD. They run a zone style coverage, and that fits him really well. 

Sorry but, Flowers couldn't wash Hasty or Carter's jock strap. He was a very good player but was always overrated by Chiefs fans. He has always been the next Sheldon Brown or Antoine Winfield and that's about it.

He was good and I wish him good luck but, he was never like TG or JA to the Chiefs. This isn't that big of a loss. In fact, we might be better without him.

Sorry but, Flowers couldn't wash Hasty or Carter's jock strap. He was a very good player but was always overrated by Chiefs fans. He has always been the next Sheldon Brown or Antoine Winfield and that's about it.

He was good and I wish him good luck but, he was never like TG or JA to the Chiefs. This isn't that big of a loss. In fact, we might be better without him.

Good teams always seem to know when to let a guy go. Maybe the Chiefs knew it was time regardless of the emotional attachment.

For all the bitching and moaning about the release that I read(twitter, other boards, Ect.) is seems the Chiefs are in the same mind set as most teams in the league. With Bigger and Faster WR's these days, you aren't going to pay a short CB a lot of money to play the outside. It was reported Flowers was unhappy to have to play the slot, and frankly, the Chiefs would of been dumb to pay him 10 plus million to play it. 

With that said, I think Flowers will do well in SD. They run a zone style coverage, and that fits him really well. 

Pretty much

Remember this big corner thing is nothing new.  Ron wolf was a big proponent of this  he's been around for years.  This is what he touted and Andy has said as much when talking about Dorsey.

One of Wolf's core draft commandments was to never select a defensive back under 5-foot-11. He wanted big cornerbacks and safeties with speed that loved to hit and tackle.

Minus the Robison pick up, Who is now gone.  You can see the direction dorsey is heading going with Sean smith and cooper and the other Db's he is drafting.   Nothing against flowers, I liked the guy.  but the money was too costly and looks to be too short for what the chiefs are wanting to do.

Also John schneider is a study of wolf.   He pulled some kick ass moves in the late rounds with their Defensive backfield.

Molded by Green Bay Packer architect Ron Wolf, who was in turn molded by the late Oakland Raider visionary Al Davis, John Schneider’s trailblazing similarities to the two men are undeniable. As Schneider recounts “It all starts with Ron Wolf … at a very young age I was exposed to the way Ron Wolf did things, Al Davis and a lot of veteran scouts – three of them who had coached and/or played for Vince Lombardi”

as much as I agree with you we must remember who we had rushing the passer while they were DB's.

Unlikely given how the secondary fell apart without him in the second half versus Indy.  He still drew the opponents best WR except in nickel sets.  

There is a school of thought that the slot is harder to cover because the CB has to guard the whole field.  I read that's why Champ Bailey was let go.  He wasn't good enough any more to not have the sideline as a boundary helper

BF wasn't better than Carter or Hasty or Al Lewis or Kevin Ross or Emmit Thomas.  In the anals of Chiefs All Time greats, he's B grade.  He was better than every single CB in red after Hasty and Carter.  That's a period of 15+ years of Eric Warfields and William Bartees.   

as much as I agree with you we must remember who we had rushing the passer while they were DB's.

Same could be said for last season. Hali and houston drop out and the backfield struggled pretty bad. Kinda why the dee ford pick could be a blessing. They Stay realitively healthy and it could get interesting.

I was totally wanting the Chiefs to draft Flowers and for the most part he has been a decent corner. I agree with the notion he isn't "all world" at the position but he was a sure tackler. Got exposed with some of the bigger receivers lest anyone forget how Dez Bryant absolutely torched Flowers. Way too much money for that kind of effort or just to be a slot cover guy. I wish him well. No animosity toward him. But I do hope the Chiefs beat the crap out of the Chargers and make him feel like "maybe I should have restructured".

Same could be said for last season. Hali and houston drop out and the backfield struggled pretty bad. Kinda why the dee ford pick could be a blessing. They Stay realitively healthy and it could get interesting.

my point exactly

I was totally wanting the Chiefs to draft Flowers and for the most part he has been a decent corner. I agree with the notion he isn't "all world" at the position but he was a sure tackler. Got exposed with some of the bigger receivers lest anyone forget how Dez Bryant absolutely torched Flowers. Way too much money for that kind of effort or just to be a slot cover guy. I wish him well. No animosity toward him. But I do hope the Chiefs beat the crap out of the Chargers and make him feel like "maybe I should have restructured".

Dez Bryant torches just about every CB he faces.  Are your expectations in check, given today's rules?

Unlikely given how the secondary fell apart without him in the second half versus Indy.  He still drew the opponents best WR except in nickel sets.  

There is a school of thought that the slot is harder to cover because the CB has to guard the whole field.  I read that's why Champ Bailey was let go.  He wasn't good enough any more to not have the sideline as a boundary helper

BF wasn't better than Carter or Hasty or Al Lewis or Kevin Ross or Emmit Thomas.  In the anals of Chiefs All Time greats, he's B grade.  He was better than every single CB in red after Hasty and Carter.  That's a period of 15+ years of Eric Warfields and William Bartees.   

I agree with  most of this except it wasn't the secondary that fell apart in the second half of Indy. It was the whole defense. Where was the pass rush? Why did Luck have ten minutes to launch the ball 40 yards down the field to Hilton?

He really struggld against the smaller guys more than the big guys. People only remember him going against Welker but guys like, Jacoby Ford, Desean Jackson, Roscoe Parrish, and Mario Manningham absolutely torched him in the past. Teams with those small fast guys you to specifically go after him in the fourth quarter.

He was a good player and a great tackler. Too bad he couldn't have tried FS for us. I think he could have fit there. I wish him well but, it sounds like his head is swelling up pretty good. All this talk about being the best CB in the NFL is crazy. He should really stop talking.

"Oh, first off, let me just say I'm the best corner in football," he said with a grin. "Let's get that clear. Don't let my injuries last year fool you, or take my name from the top list."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361716/article/brandon-flowers-had-chiefs-in-mind-when-joining-bolts

What is he thinking? He has been injured every year. I am so tired of hearing that. Excuses and potential mean you haven't done shit imo.

I agree with  most of this except it wasn't the secondary that fell apart in the second half of Indy. It was the whole defense. Where was the pass rush? Why did Luck have ten minutes to launch the ball 40 yards down the field to Hilton?

He really struggld against the smaller guys more than the big guys. People only remember him going against Welker but guys like, Jacoby Ford, Desean Jackson, Roscoe Parrish, and Mario Manningham absolutely torched him in the past. Teams with those small fast guys you to specifically go after him in the fourth quarter.

He was a good player and a great tackler. Too bad he couldn't have tried FS for us. I think he could have fit there. I wish him well but, it sounds like his head is swelling up pretty good. All this talk about being the best CB in the NFL is crazy. He should really stop talking.

What is he thinking? He has been injured every year. I am so tired of hearing that. Excuses and potential mean you haven't done shit imo.

Fair criticsm -- every word.

Fair criticsm -- every word.

Prove it Flowers...certainly didn't get any respect from the likes of Luck or Manning. Annddd I'm pretty sure that if you were the best then they wouldn't throw all over you...all...the...time.

I agree with most of this except it wasn't the secondary that fell apart in the second half of Indy. It was the whole defense. Where was the pass rush? Why did Luck have ten minutes to launch the ball 40 yards down the field to Hilton?

If u go back and watch you'll see what an impact player Houston is.. When he went out, that's when the game changed. Fact.

If u go back and watch you'll see what an impact player Houston is.. When he went out, that's when the game changed. Fact.

Even go back to the home game vs. SD. Chiefs were beating them down hard in that game. Lil more extreme cause both he and hali dropped. That's when the game/defense flipped.

Phillis started picking the chiefs apart.

If you are referring to the playoff game that is not the fact.

Houston was hurt the play before the Colts took the lead. Which was with 5:36 left in the game.

3rd and 5 at IND 25 (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to C.Fleener to IND 36 for 11 yards (E.Berry). KC-J.Houston was injured during the play.    

1st and 10 at IND 36 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep middle to T.Hilton for 64 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=340104011&period=4

If you are referring to the playoff game that is not the fact.

Houston was hurt the play before the Colts took the lead. Which was with 5:36 left in the game.

3rd and 5 at IND 25 (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to C.Fleener to IND 36 for 11 yards (E.Berry). KC-J.Houston was injured during the play.

1st and 10 at IND 36 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep middle to T.Hilton for 64 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=340104011&period=4

Yeah, but by that point in the game most of the Chiefs were out with injuries.

He was hurt before that. I think he was subbing in and out. Not playing every down.

My point was that the Indy meltdown cannot be blamed on any certain injury. With the way players were sidelined in that game I am surprised that we could even field a team by the end of it.

My point was that the Indy meltdown cannot be blamed on any certain injury. With the way players were sidelined in that game I am surprised that we could even field a team by the end of it.

Neither am I. Im pointing out that Houston is all world. He is a beast.

Dez Bryant torches just about every CB he faces.  Are your expectations in check, given today's rules?

Bryant had 4 100 yard games last year (25%). Don't make it sound like 141 yards was his norm. BTW....1st 4 games of the season he had 22, 141, 38, 81 yards. Guess which of those 4 was against Flowers. What are my expectations? Better than that.

Archived