Chiefs lnterested In Star Lotulelei?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am good with Logan at the right price. He is our best lineman against the run by far. He was very solid. Just look at the numbers.

Bailey 38 tackles on 626 snaps

Jones 32 tackles on 678 snaps

Logan 52 tackles on 572 snaps

Logan had more than 100 less snaps and made 20 more tackles than Jones. I am surprised so many people are down on him. I would have played him more. More 3 lineman looks.

He does leave something to be desired on passing downs. But overall not a problem area if we can resign.

I am down for cheap. Bailey definitely didn’t earn his money, but he has it in him. I think you let Bailey walk unless you can get him at 4 mill. Logan at 5 mill.

I guess we blow it up and just keep Jones if that happens. Hard to replace those guys on the cheap. Searching for CB and pass rusher. These are some high dollar positions.

Designated run stoppers aren't nearly as coveted in today's NFL, especially ones who aren't that dominant. Lotulelei is a strong candidate to get a generous contract because he was part of a stout Carolina defensive line and has a first-round pedigree. But the Panthers know better; he's not Damon Harrison or Linval Joseph. Lotulelei graded out as a negative run defender over the last two years, according to Pro Football Focus. He's a solid rotational player who is set to get paid like a star.

——this was from NFL.com

Wow, would definitely stay away from him after learning this. Never realized it before though. 

Any player on the DL must be a decent run stopper and some, I definitely don't want one dimensional guys that will be useless in half the snaps.

I don't see the Chiefs turning over 2/3rd of its starting DL at once. Logan would be a fresh new charge against the cap and was the worst starter. Pass.

Worst starter? Well we he stats and my eyes disagree. That was clearly Bailey.

I don’t know if Star is and upgrade.

Star 25 comb tackles and 1.5 sacks

Logan 52 comb tackles and 1.5 sacks

Basically the same number of snaps. I would take Logan over Star or Poe. But prefer someone better than any of them. Since that ain’t happening most likely, offer Bennie 5 mill a year.

No doubt. We are suffering from a lack of NTs if he demands that much. DL worries me more than anything and I thought it was a strength a year ago.

At least at edge rusher, Kpass or Ford could break out. We got no such upside at D line especially NT.

Witzman, you’re in. Sink or swim buddy cause you ain’t starting at guard.

Is Carolina Panthers DT Star Lotulelei worth 4-years, $40 million? - Cat Scratch Reader

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17075718/is-nfl-carolina-panthers-defensive-tackle-star-lotulelei-worth-4-years-40-million

I was on board if we got him for around 5-6. His play doesn't warrant any more than that. Actually Logan was better last year and I think he was drastically overpaid. 8 million for a guy who played half the snaps?!?!?. I'm not a big proponent of bring Poe back because of his back but he played a lot of snaps which is something you need. Out Dline is a glaring weakness. Bailey is a good rotational player but doesn't deserve the 7 million he will make this year. Nacho is a bargain but isn't all that good either. Jones is good but inconsistent.

I hope we don't panic and pay an avg NT 9-10 per year. Need to draft a development guy and sign an old vet stopgap to a one year deal (a la Roy Miller without the baggage).

Worst starter? Well we he stats and my eyes disagree. That was clearly Bailey.

PFF grades

Jones 88.2

Bailey 72.1

Logan 68.6

Again Logan is our best run defender and has value there. But that value has to be tempered by reality a guy that only can play in half our snaps graded out this low. We really need a better run defender than Poe and more diverse player than Logan. But if he wants to sign a low level guarantee to return I’d still consider it, but my preference is to move on.

I don't put much stock in PFF ratings. They are way off much of the time. Case Keenum (#9 in the league) was far superior to Kurt Cousins (#20 in the league). I don't think the Vikings agree. PFF ratings just don't pass the common sense test most of the time. Especially when a defensive line men takes 100 less snaps and has 20 more tackles yet is ranked lower. I will give you Jones, but Bailey was the weakest link on that line last year from what I saw.

Alan Branch 6'6" 350 pound guy who was hardly used by the Patriots last year as our NT. 33 years old but might have a year or 2 left in the tank.

I think because of his age KC will stay away.  I could be wrong, jmo.

I don't put much stock in PFF ratings. They are way off much of the time. Case Keenum (#9 in the league) was far superior to Kurt Cousins (#20 in the league). I don't think the Vikings agree. PFF ratings just don't pass the common sense test most of the time. Especially when a defensive line men takes 100 less snaps and has 20 more tackles yet is ranked lower. I will give you Jones, but Bailey was the weakest link on that line last year from what I saw.

I disagree. No rating system is without flaws. That’s for sure. But Bailey is a more diverse player than Logan asked to do more especially on passing downs where tackles are much harder to come by. Just saying a player had more tackles doesn’t mean much when your responsibilities are not the same. PFF tries to measure that.

Likewise if you are looking at last year alone. Case Keenum was better by many different ways you can evaluate including PFF, passer rating, and total QBR. He’s like Alex Smith and asked to do less than Cousins. Again not apples to apples but teams aren’t looking st last year alone when evaluating those two. I personally think Cousins is overrated too. Certainly not worth 10 million more per season than Keenum.

All that said I’m much more intrigued by Star Lotulelei than most are and he had an awful season by PFF standards. I just believe he’s still capable at 28 of being that more diverse interior player. But the PFF numbers scare me for sure.

Archived