Chiefs to look at Sammy Watkins?

In his latest podcast, Matt Miller suggested that the Chiefs are looking for a "downfield threat" in FA and suggested that Sammy Watkins Is the man. Would be brilliant If we could get that deal done. Rams are set to franchise either him or Joyner tomorrow apparently so we will see If this rumor has any legs shortly. If it's Joyner (and it's expected to be him) then Sammy likely gets to test the market.

An offense consisting of Hill, Watkins, Kelce and Hunt would surely be against NFL rules? :D 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are the odds of you taking a negative stance on every player that is mentioned as a target apparently.

Is it wrong? The Bills spent 2 firsts to get him, flipped him to the Rams that gave up a cb+2nd round pick to land him and they're possibly going to let him walk out one year later?

Two teams will have given up on him in just two years.

2nd Ragland?  definitely potential.  Route running?   Anyone know how he'd fit in our system?

Not a sharp route runner, but can still get open with his speed.

Would probably be brought in as an X receiver if KC were to make that move in an attempt to re-create the later year Eagles Offenses.

He's had some real issues with his wheels, so giving him a lot of money carries significant risk.

I'd favor signing Marqise Lee if we're going this route.

Is it wrong? The Bills spent 2 firsts to get him, flipped him to the Rams that gave up a cb+2nd round pick to land him and they're possibly going to let him walk out one year later?

Two teams will have given up on him in just two years.

Well just the idea that they are considering franchising him pretty much says they arent giving up on him. He hasnt reached his potential at all, but a lot of that has to do with injuries. I think he can still be a beast if he stays healthy, and will likely get paid accordingly.

He’s still young, and he shredded us in the past. He’s 6’1 which I like a lot better than 5’9, although I don’t know if he can outjump someone for a jump ball. His first two years were great, last two not so much. The concerning part for me is durability, as his rookie season was the only season he played all 16 games. I’m definitely interested in him , but it all depends on the contract. I have no problem paying him, but it has to be reasonable. I fear a huge contract would come back to bite us in the ass.

He’s still young, and he shredded us in the past. He’s 6’1 which I like a lot better than 5’9, although I don’t know if he can outjump someone for a jump ball. His first two years were great, last two not so much. The concerning part for me is durability, as his rookie season was the only season he played all 16 games. I’m definitely interested in him , but it all depends on the contract. I have no problem paying him, but it has to be reasonable. I fear a huge contract would come back to bite us in the ass.

Im glad you dont mind paying him Rory. Maybe that way we can keep it off the Chiefs books and cap number.

Well just the idea that they are considering franchising him pretty much says they arent giving up on him. He hasnt reached his potential at all, but a lot of that has to do with injuries. I think he can still be a beast if he stays healthy, and will likely get paid accordingly.

The probable issue is you're going to be paying proven type of money for potential.

This years FA round is going to be ridiculous.

The probable issue is you're going to be paying proven type of money for potential.

This years FA round is going to be ridiculous.

Yeah it is. I dont expect the Chiefs to be in on many big names, or want them to be. I wouldnt mind them spending on a corner because they created such a big hole there. Other than that I hope its value signings. Although I have to admit...I do miss Dontari Poe.

We already have a downfield threat in Hill, not sure if we need to make Watkins one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL as the second deep option. I prefer a Matthews type possession receiver who'll take some of the load off from Kelce as the route runner as well as being a deep threat when needed. 

We already have a downfield threat in Hill, not sure if we need to make Watkins one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL as the second deep option. I prefer a Matthews type possession receiver who'll take some of the load off from Kelce as the route runner as well as being a deep threat when needed. 

Yeah, we have one, so why can't we have two? If teams decide to double up on Hill, then it would leave Watkins with all kinds of space. Surely you can see the benefit In that? The more weapons we have, the more problems it's gonna give DC's.

Yeah, we have one, so why can't we have two? If teams decide to double up on Hill, then it would leave Watkins with all kinds of space. Surely you can see the benefit In that? The more weapons we have, the more problems it's gonna give DC's.

It's great to have a 2nd or even a 3rd. However I would prefer to spend the big bucks on a big possession receiver that's great in routes as we have none for that role. Whomever comes in can and likely will be our 2nd deep ball threat as well but the focus should be the route running IMO. 

It's a double edged sword for LA. Watkins or Joyner.

For me, whichever one is spared the tag, we should make a run after.

I would lean toward Joyner and with him I'd spare less expense to get him. Joyner and Berry, while expensive, would create a phenomenally talented tandem. Many will say it's too expensive for a pair of Safeties and I understand that. For me it would be well worth it.

The idea of Watkins and Mahomes is an amazing pairing that I feel would flourish. I'd would however take a harder line with Watkins, monetarily, due to his injury past. He did "prove it" last year and I think he and Mahomes could easily eclipse his year with Goff.

It's a double edged sword for LA. Watkins or Joyner.

For me, whichever one is spared the tag, we should make a run after.

I would lean toward Joyner and with him I'd spare less expense to get him. Joyner and Berry, while expensive, would create a phenomenally talented tandem. Many will say it's too expensive for a pair of Safeties and I understand that. For me it would be well worth it.

The idea of Watkins and Mahomes is an amazing pairing that I feel would flourish. I'd would however take a harder line with Watkins, monetarily, due to his injury past. He did "prove it" last year and I think he and Mahomes could easily eclipse his year with Goff.

2 great Safeties might be the easiest way to fix a defense as they can make up for both the run and pass defense. Especially in our case in 2016 we had problems against the pass when Berry played closer to the box and issues against the run with Berry playing high Safety. Would be nice to give him the flexibility to move around.

Yeah, they won’t tag there third best WR. Woods and Kupp are could enough that franchising Watkins makes no sense.

I am OK with him for a #2 money. I don’t know why people are going to throw top money at him, but it sounds like they will.

Archived