Chiefs to look at Sammy Watkins?

Yeah, they won’t tag there third best WR. Woods and Kupp are could enough that franchising Watkins makes no sense.

I am OK with him for a #2 money. I don’t know why people are going to throw top money at him, but it sounds like they will.

For me, Watkins is everything you want in a true #1. You compare him to Woods and Kupp but in my opinion, Watkins trumps them both put together. (Not getting political here????) Because he's had a rough injury history it most definitely hinders his price value and like Landry, he's nowhere near worth the 16mil the tag brings.

I brought up Joyner as a wing and a prayer but I believe it's an easy choice also. Joyner gets the tag in my opinion hands down.

I do believe that at the right price Watkins would be a great addition and I'd probably give him more than most to secure that. I Do believe he's a #1 and Hill on the opposite side would strike fear an any defensive coordinator. Lest we forget the rest of the weapons here in KC. This offense would be extremely scary to face. Hell, I think it will be a terror as is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 great Safeties might be the easiest way to fix a defense as they can make up for both the run and pass defense. Especially in our case in 2016 we had problems against the pass when Berry played closer to the box and issues against the run with Berry playing high Safety. Would be nice to give him the flexibility to move around.

I kind of like this thought process. In Sutton's scheme this might be the way to go. Pass rush is usually the key to having better secondary play. Since teams are focusing more and more on getting the ball out quickly to negate good pass rushers this type of move could help create pass rush when there is no where to go with the ball. And like you said, a good way to balance out the run defense versus the pass defense.

the Rams franchise tagged L. Joyner

Los Angeles RamsVerified account @RamsNFL 2m2 minutes ago

#LARams have placed a non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

The #Rams are franchise tagging S Lamarcus Joyner. A top safety is kept in the fold. LA will try to keep WR Sammy Watkins, as well.

Well, there you go. Now there are a plethora of decent WR's we could pick up in FA. Watkins, Robinson, Richardson, Moncrief, Lee, Gabriel etc. Gonna be interesting to see If the Chiefs are as "aggressive" as Veach suggested we would be.

Honestly, if that's the choice of WRs I hope they're not aggressive on WR.

I'm hoping they look to fix the defense through FA and use the draft on offense.

I know it won't happen that exact way, but still.

Honestly, if that's the choice of WRs I hope they're not aggressive on WR.

I'm hoping they look to fix the defense through FA and use the draft on offense.

I know it won't happen that exact way, but still.

Watkins, Richardson and Robinson are more than good enough for this team imo.

It's a double edged sword for LA. Watkins or Joyner.

For me, whichever one is spared the tag, we should make a run after.

I would lean toward Joyner and with him I'd spare less expense to get him. Joyner and Berry, while expensive, would create a phenomenally talented tandem. Many will say it's too expensive for a pair of Safeties and I understand that. For me it would be well worth it.

The idea of Watkins and Mahomes is an amazing pairing that I feel would flourish. I'd would however take a harder line with Watkins, monetarily, due to his injury past. He did "prove it" last year and I think he and Mahomes could easily eclipse his year with Goff.

I'm hesitant giving a huge contract to a guy that will be on this third team in five year although if the Rams make a real effort to keep him and fail, it would help me feel better.That team has got huge stars on both sides of the ball who are going to get paid in the next two years. Their best window to win is right now. 

I'm hesitant giving a huge contract to a guy that will be on this third team in five year although if the Rams make a real effort to keep him and fail, it would help me feel better.That team has got huge stars on both sides of the ball who are going to get paid in the next two years. Their best window to win is right now.

Yea, I get that. It makes sense. I do believe LA wants to keep him and quite frankly, I think he likes where he's at. I don't particularly believe we'd ever have a shot at Watkins w/o overpaying him, even more than I'd be willing to.

Personally, I think he disliked Buffalo and when the injuries mounted up, that became mutual. There are players that I'd worry more about being on multiple teams than Watkins though because I don't ever remember (could be very wrong) him ever speaking out directly his distaste for Buffalo or taking an unprofessional tact in his situation. Again, I could be wrong there.

Him and Ragland looked like to me the only people playing the run. He led the line in tackles and tackles for loss. In fact he led the team in tackles for loss.

I wish he was a little bigger, but he was twice the player Bailey was.

Yea, I get that. It makes sense. I do believe LA wants to keep him and quite frankly, I think he likes where he's at. I don't particularly believe we'd ever have a shot at Watkins w/o overpaying him, even more than I'd be willing to.

Personally, I think he disliked Buffalo and when the injuries mounted up, that became mutual. There are players that I'd worry more about being on multiple teams than Watkins though because I don't ever remember (could be very wrong) him ever speaking out directly his distaste for Buffalo or taking an unprofessional tact in his situation. Again, I could be wrong there.

I don't think the Rams are particularly focused on keeping Watkins.

They've got Aaron Donald, Joyner (again), Gurley and a Peters extension looming. They need to make some careful decisions.

I don't think the Rams are particularly focused on keeping Watkins.

They've got Aaron Donald, Joyner (again), Gurley and a Peters extension looming. They need to make some careful decisions.

Absolutely Agree about the careful decisions needed. I personally believe Sammy is one of those though. Woods is an excellent 2 (never been #1 material and don't think he'll ever command that) and getting better even, but Goff needs every bit of firepower they can muster. Without Watkins those receiving corps look awfully thin. I love Kupp but he's a solid 2 as well.

Ok yall the NFL media folks are starting to talk about this now.....

Connor RogersVerified account @ConnorJRogers
FollowFollow @ConnorJRogers
More

Connor Rogers Retweeted Bleacher Report

#Chiefs or #Rams still seem like the favorites to me

And Rapsheet mentions us as one of his options

Rodgers claims the hot talk at the combine was indeed "Watkins to the Chiefs", so that's why he's saying that. So you add Rodgers and Rapsheet's names alongside Matt Miller then it looks like there's a fair bit of smoke around this rumor :D

Archived