What did Bennie Logan do poorly at?

Not a fan but what was the issue with him? 4 quarters run stop or passrush?

He is a bit under sized but difficult to move. Struggles with pass rush, but is solid against the run. The big problem is he was on the sidelines and they rolled with only 2 linemen.

I could roll with Logan, Nacho and Jones. That leaves no depth though. A stud NT would be perfect, but I don’t know who that is.

Would Star lotalei be big improvement?

From what I observe  not much of an upgrade over Logan. Both are 4-3 DTs at best. We need a big boy to clog up the middle and hold up double teams.

A stout NT is the foundation of a 3-4 defense. 

I don’t remember seeing him do much. Was he even on the field all that often? I just hate schemes where dline are expected to occupy blockers. Give me guys who disrupt blockers.

He was on the field in base defenses and little else. 51% of snaps compared to 61% for Jones and 56% for Bailey. Interestingly nobody was on the field on defense for us more than our two starting safeties Sorenson and Parker. Every player mentioned on this list got a below average or poor PFF grade except Bailey who snuck into the bottom of the average range. 

He got better penetration on runn Ng downs than any other lineman. Not saying he is good, but saying he is unquestionably the best run stopping D lineman we have. The tape and the numbers don’t lie. Not saying he is good enough, just saying he is the best we got.

From what I observe  not much of an upgrade over Logan. Both are 4-3 DTs at best. We need a big boy to clog up the middle and hold up double teams.

A stout NT is the foundation of a 3-4 defense. 

I think there is about 15 teams using the 3-4 as their base defense.  The problem is, there are not 15 good players suitable to play NT.  I think that is why some teams are going back to the 4-3, it is easier to find suitable personnel.

I think there is about 15 teams using the 3-4 as their base defense.  The problem is, there are not 15 good players suitable to play NT.  I think that is why some teams are going back to the 4-3, it is easier to find suitable personnel.

Thats an interesting point. So a smart team might see that and decide to change to a 4-3 as you also pointed out. Maybe KC can get smart?

I think there is about 15 teams using the 3-4 as their base defense. The problem is, there are not 15 good players suitable to play NT. I think that is why some teams are going back to the 4-3, it is easier to find suitable personnel.

As a base defense? I don't think it is that high. I bet if you look at it, most may say 3-4 but they play a hybrid system. Heck, the chiefs do play a lot of different set ups too. True 3-4 I can think of, Pats, Steelers, GB, Houston and I am th ink8ng chargers but they may have switched since I last recalled.

As a base defense? I don't think it is that high. I bet if you look at it, most may say 3-4 but they play a hybrid system. Heck, the chiefs do play a lot of different set ups too. True 3-4 I can think of, Pats, Steelers, GB, Houston and I am th ink8ng chargers but they may have switched since I last recalled.

NE switched back to a 4-3 years ago. Last year it was GB, Houston, Pittsburgh, SD, Chicago, Indy, NYJ, Baltimore, Tennessee, Washington, Cardinals, and Rams all in a base 3-4.

So 13 total including us.

NE switched back to a 4-3 years ago. Last year it was GB, Houston, Pittsburgh, SD, Chicago, Indy, NYJ, Baltimore, Tennessee, Washington, Cardinals, and Rams all in a base 3-4.

So 13 total including us.

Here is what it says on wikipedia regarding the 3-4 for what its worth, basically the same list with a couple of differences.  

"As of 2017, NFL teams that regularly incorporate the 3–4 defensive alignment scheme as a base include the Green Bay PackersOakland RaidersLos Angeles RamsPittsburgh SteelersBaltimore RavensArizona CardinalsIndianapolis ColtsKansas City ChiefsNew York JetsWashington RedskinsDenver BroncosTennessee TitansHouston Texans, and the Chicago Bears, who used the 3-4 as their base defense for the first time in 2015."

Here is what it says on wikipedia regarding the 3-4 for what its worth, basically the same list with a couple of differences.

"As of 2017, NFL teams that regularly incorporate the 3–4 defensive alignment scheme as a base include the Green Bay Packers, Oakland Raiders, Los Angeles Rams, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, and the Chicago Bears, who used the 3-4 as their base defense for the first time in 2015."

How many run a true 3-4 though as a lot will switch to 4-3 quite a bit. We need a guy like Poe to play many snaps if we are going to keep a fatty in the middle all the time who can at least get pressure in the pass too

Ian Rapoport

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Rams are trading LB Alec Ogletree to the #Giants for 2 draft picks, source said. He was offered to the #Chiefs, too, but they declined. @AdamSchefter on it first.

If that's true then Veach was dumb for passing on Olgetree he is good and would be excellent with Ragland in the middle that would give us a very good starting combo at middle linebacker

The Ogletree trade continued the Rams' theme of opening salary-cap space by parting with players they believe aren't a fit for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, which was also a reason they dealt outside linebacker Robert Quinn to the Miami Dolphins last week.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680521/los-angeles-rams-trade-alec-ogletree-new-york-giants

The Ogletree trade continued the Rams' theme of opening salary-cap space by parting with players they believe aren't a fit for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, which was also a reason they dealt outside linebacker Robert Quinn to the Miami Dolphins last week.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680521/los-angeles-rams-trade-alec-ogletree-new-york-giants

Makes more sense we didn't want them then. I thought Ogletree might have succeeded in DJ's spot.

If that's true then Veach was dumb for passing on Olgetree he is good and would be excellent with Ragland in the middle that would give us a very good starting combo at middle linebacker

He was due over 30 million the next three years.

Same reason he turned down Quinn. They aren't trading a young inexpensive player away to take on expensive vets. They are trying to get younger and faster while cleaning up the cap. Graded out at a 39.1 in coverage, so he would not be the complement to Rags we are looking for. It's not easy to find a LB who can cover like DJ did, and this guy certainly isn't it. Plus he has a 10 million dollar cap number.

Same reason he turned down Quinn. They aren't trading a young inexpensive player away to take on expensive vets. They are trying to get younger and faster while cleaning up the cap. Graded out at a 39.1 in coverage, so he would not be the complement to Rags we are looking for. It's not easy to find a LB who can cover like DJ did, and this guy certainly isn't it. Plus he has a 10 million dollar cap number.

Josey Jewell....If there in the 3rd round is our guy. ????

Archived