Seahawks released CB Richard Sherman.

It's the end of an era in Seattle; Sherman was a three-time first-team All-Pro and picked off 32 passes across seven seasons. The Legion of Boom is undergoing mass overhaul, losing another one of its key elements. Sherman turns 30 later this month and is coming off a torn Achilles' last season. He's not 100 percent yet and also had surgery to remove a bone spur from his other heel earlier this offseason. Sherman will undoubtedly draw plenty of interest on the open market, but he has his question marks. He's largely played zone defense in Seattle, is coming off a serious injury, and is turning 30. The Patriots reportedly poked around on Sherman in trade talks last offseason and likely will have interest again this year after missing out on Aqib Talib. The Seahawks save $11 million in cap space with this move but have a huge hole in the secondary. Mar 9 - 12:39 PM

I wouldn't give what he would cost. He kind of had a down year and headed for the wrong side of 30. I think he is a good CB and worth probably 8 mill a year at this point in his career, but think he gets more.

This is exactly the correct viewpoint.  He's still a useful player at this point in his career but no longer a superstar, and we shouldn't overpay.

Even though we don't know the reasons behind Peters trade I don't see the Chiefs letting go of him to pay an older guy who also causes off the field distraction. 

The type and degree of their "off-the-field" distractions aren't comparable.  Sherman is an outspoken guy who you may or may not agree with on political/social issues, but a pretty good teammate overall.  Peters is a hothead who couldn't keep himself under control.

Archived