What happens to our Punter?

We should be negotiating a contract with him that works for both sides. He’s earned the right to be our punter as long as he plays.

No, when you're a cap-strapped team you don't give an aging player a penny more than they are worth.  Especially a punter.

People said that about hali.

Tamba has two bad knees and Dorsey knew it and still paid him. Colquit has a value as our holder as well. I’d say he’s 50-50 to be back. Clearly doesn’t have leg he used to but our net punting was really good.

No, when you're a cap-strapped team you don't give an aging player a penny more than they are worth.  Especially a punter.

The thing is Colquitt is worth one of the highest amounts among punters. I guess going young includes Colquitt as well but wouldn't be surprised to see him retained for a modest deal. It's nice to to avoid major ST problems during the youth movement. 

The thing is Colquitt is worth one of the highest amounts among punters. I guess going young includes Colquitt as well but wouldn't be surprised to see him retained for a modest deal. It's nice to to avoid major ST problems during the youth movement. 

Well, go back and read what I'm saying, though:  if he's worth it, fine.  I would be a little skeptical, but there are prices at which I could be convinced he's worth it.  But I don't buy into the "he's earned the right..." idea.  Even when he was one of the best in the league he was arguably overpaid relative to what a punter should be paid.  We can't make that mistake again.

No, when you're a cap-strapped team you don't give an aging player a penny more than they are worth. Especially a punter.

I didn’t say give him a big contract, I said negotiating. Of all positions in the nfl, punters and kickers age better because they play limited snaps and don’t take hits. Also, Colquitt is as dependable as they come at holding for the kicker. I don’t ever remember him dropping a snap or putting down a bad hold. Those are things nobody thinks about until someone fucks up.

I didn’t say give him a big contract, I said negotiating.

But you said he's "earned the right to be our punter as long as he plays," to me that implies giving him an above-market contract as a loyalty reward.  If that's not what you meant, that's fine.  I'm saying I wouldn't go above market, at all, even for loyalty.

But you said he's "earned the right to be our punter as long as he plays," to me that implies giving him an above-market contract as a loyalty reward. If that's not what you meant, that's fine. I'm saying I wouldn't go above market, at all, even for loyalty.

Not at all, but I’d be willing to be Colquitt would stick around for market value. He’s been here a long time and it’s his home. You wouldn’t agree that 3 million a year isn’t fair for both sides?

Not at all, but I’d be willing to be Colquitt would stick around for market value. He’s been here a long time and it’s his home. You wouldn’t agree that 3 million a year isn’t fair for both sides?

I'm really not an expert on what the going rate is for punters in general, or someone of Colquitt's specific skills at this point in his career.  I'm just focusing on your phrase of "earned the right..."  That phrase is why we overpaid Hali, etc., and I don't want to do that again.

Whatever the going rate is for "above average punter who could fall off a cliff at any point," fine, we can pay that.  I don't know if that's $3M a year or not.

Highest Avg Salary for NFL punter is Saints Morstead at $3.647M a year.  AVG of the top 10 highest paid Punters is about $3.4M a year.  I say pay him and lock him up.  Regardless if he has earned the right or not because of the past he STILL is a NFL top 10 punter. 

$3M a year would put him at the 7th/8th highest paid Punter in the NFL

I didn’t say it was my opinion. I’m of the opinion, if it doesn’t hurt the team sign him. Or draft a young leg.

?

I'd think you'd be able to get the leg as a undrafted....Could take a draft pick for the entire body though

Archived