Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 years $48 mil (30 guaranteed)

This sounds like much more than I would have expected. And my post is now obsolete.

Not a good deal anymore. I like Watkins, just not that much.

I guess the 3/16 I saw was 3yrs, 16mil/yr. Yikes.

I hope he earns it and while I feel it's grossly overpaid, I still feel he'll be a good addition.

Agreed...take this for what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/chiefscentral/status/973431735634612225?s=21

@chiefscentral Tweets:

According to Chris Simms, the #Chiefs are in the running for free agent cornerback Trumaine Johnson (via @SimmsAndLefkoe).

I think it was reported that we would be interested in him around the time Peters was traded there. Because it pretty much spelled the end of TJ's tenure in LA. If they are going hard after Johnson it tells me they are really serious about going back to playing press man coverage and this defense is gonna be more aggressive and get some swag back.

When you consider Allen Robinson got 14 per year it is what it is. Fits Veach MO of targeting guys we had rated high in their respective drafts. It's a risky move but our O will be a nightmare for for defenses. We still need a LG, 2DL, S, and CB. Gotta think we will address 2-3 of those in the draft, so we aren't done with FA but I doubt we make any more big splashes.

When you consider Allen Robinson got 14 per year it is what it is. Fits Veach MO of targeting guys we had rated high in their respective drafts. It's a risky move but our O will be a nightmare for for defenses. We still need a LG, 2DL, S, and CB. Gotta think we will address 2-3 of those in the draft, so we aren't done with FA but I doubt we make any more big splashes.

Why do you doubt it? Because of our cap situation?

Rappaport reporting that the chiefs are looking to sign anthony Hitchens LB from the Cowboys for $9 mil per year

I like Hitchens but 9 million sounds high. I've about come to the realization that I valued all the free agents below actual value. Seems like Veach has a plan as we aren't messing around.

This is absurdly too much for this player. When you have a qb like mahomes you build defense and o line and let him elevate the skill positions around him.

I just realized recently your handle is an Impractical Jokers reference...very nice!

In regard to your post, it's too much for me also but I really like Watkins and if they feel like they had to overpay to get him in KC, that's an issue they get to play with.

If true, (Rappaport is usually right), then I think they overpaid.  Watkins is uber talented, and can run the whole route tree, but he has never reached his potential.  Dinged a lot, also.

Hope it works out.  Mahomes could be the difference.

If true, (Rappaport is usually right), then I think they overpaid.  Watkins is uber talented, and can run the whole route tree, but he has never reached his potential.  Dinged a lot, also.

Hope it works out.  Mahomes could be the difference.

when you are active right out the gate in FA and are a fringe team like KC then you have to overpay a bit or wait and pick thru the second and third tier FA's

we always look at the lesser FA's and we end up where we are every time (watching other teams in superbowl etc)

This sounds like much more than I would have expected. And my post is now obsolete.

Not a good deal anymore. I like Watkins, just not that much.

I guess the 3/16 I saw was 3yrs, 16mil/yr. Yikes.

I hope he earns it and while I feel it's grossly overpaid, I still feel he'll be a good addition.

he's 25 years old and in his prime, it's the right price and a good job by KC not to commit past 3 years.

Veach is killing it IMO.

Archived