Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs

I just realized recently your handle is an Impractical Jokers reference...very nice!

In regard to your post, it's too much for me also but I really like Watkins and if they feel like they had to overpay to get him in KC, that's an issue they get to play with.

Haha i was hoping someone would get the reference!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this but wonder why his production down last 2 years? 

Chiefs signed Sammy Watkins, formerly of the Rams, to a three-year, $48 million contract.

With strong-armed Patrick Mahomes now under center, GM Brett Veach made noise about adding another speedy receiver to play opposite Tyreek Hill, but it is still surprising to see them making this big of a splash. Watkins seems to perfectly fit what they were looking for, however. He has averaged over 15 yards per catch in each of his first four seasons in the league, and 13 of his 25 career touchdowns have come from 20 yards or more, although he showed his ability in the red zone last season. While Watkins would seem to be a good real-life fit, it is fair to wonder how much fantasy value he will return on an offense helmed by a first-year starter with Hill and Travis Kelce demanding targets and Kareem Hunt in the backfield.
Related: Rams

Love this but wonder why his production down last 2 years?

Chiefs signed Sammy Watkins, formerly of the Rams, to a three-year, $48 million contract.

With strong-armed Patrick Mahomes now under center, GM Brett Veach made noise about adding another speedy receiver to play opposite Tyreek Hill, but it is still surprising to see them making this big of a splash. Watkins seems to perfectly fit what they were looking for, however. He has averaged over 15 yards per catch in each of his first four seasons in the league, and 13 of his 25 career touchdowns have come from 20 yards or more, although he showed his ability in the red zone last season. While Watkins would seem to be a good real-life fit, it is fair to wonder how much fantasy value he will return on an offense helmed by a first-year starter with Hill and Travis Kelce demanding targets and Kareem Hunt in the backfield.

Related: Rams

His qb's were crap. Goff came on this yeat but isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Before that it was the bills so uhhhh... massive suckitude.

I'll take it, don't think we overpaid, it's just the market moving.  Watkins is 25 and Hitchens is 26 which is impossible because I was told that Veach only wanted old farts!!!!  Sorry no reason for that dig but just had to throw it out there how dumb that logic was for a guy who was our GM for barely half a season....

His qb's were crap. Goff came on this yeat but isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Before that it was the bills so uhhhh... massive suckitude.

Sure yet he was the #4 receiver on the Rams in terms of production? Goff was playing well. 

Sure yet he was the #4 receiver on the Rams in terms of production? Goff was playing well.

Meh. He also went over 1k with tyrod fuckin taylor at qb. I'm not worried if the kid can play, he's proven that, I'm worried can he stay healthy.

Meh. He also went over 1k with tyrod fuckin taylor at qb. I'm not worried if the kid can play, he's proven that, I'm worried can he stay healthy.

Yep. Ultimately this deal will be judged like a lot of deals. If Watkins stays healthy and gives us good production (especially in the red zone) then it's a good deal. If he continues to be hampered by injuries and puts up pedestrian numbers...its a bad deal.

But so much is still unknown about what Mahomes ceiling in his 1st year is going to be and how Watkins fits into the mix.

he's 25 years old and in his prime, it's the right price and a good job by KC not to commit past 3 years.

Veach is killing it IMO.

3 years is a good thing. I like Veach's aggressiveness. Hitchens was all but signed in Indianapolis and Veach swooped in. Indy fans are pissed. Lol. To do this you have to overpay. I get that and I hope it doesn't backfire. I really do like Watkins, I just wish it didn't have to be such a heavy price for a player that has injury history.

Yep. Ultimately this deal will be judged like a lot of deals. If Watkins stays healthy and gives us good production (especially in the red zone) then it's a good deal. If he continues to be hampered by injuries and puts up pedestrian numbers...its a bad deal.

But so much is still unknown about what Mahomes ceiling in his 1st year is going to be and how Watkins fits into the mix.

Agreed

We are going to throw 25 deep balls a game to him and Hill

Saw this reading about Watkins and the Rams, he was traded towards the end of preseason in August, so he never got to work with Goff in preseason or training camps so that probably hurt.  He'll get to go through all that with Mahomes this year...

Seeing all of this, I have never seen the Chiefs doing so well with trades, FA signings etc so soon like this. They are young guys too. Can't wait to see the draft now.

yeah, this is definitely different.  Much better than all those Anthony Fasano signings back in 2013 LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wow, that is a lot of money, but with so many teams having deep pockets this year it makes sense.

I love the aggressiveness. Can’t remember signing a top FA 25 year old WR. Kennison and Rison come to mind, but not sure that is on the same scale.

Archived