Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs

We don't really know the contract yet to see if it's good or bad. The raw numbers on a contract mean nothing until we see the breakdown. This could be, in reality, a one year deal for all we know.

You don't give $30 million guaranteed for a one year rental. Not a fan of the money side at all, but only 3 years and we have a ton of cap next year. Hill is going to cost a fortune down the road, but so far will be worth it.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His injury that everyone seems to focus on is his left foot/ankle. If you look at the history IMO, he really didn't give it time to heal.

Injured 13 Apr 2016, fractured foot had a screw inserted. 20 Sep 2016, reinjured same foot which led to missing 8 games. 1 Jan 2017, had 2 screws put into his previously repaired left foot.

The Chiefs don't need one year deal type of players.  They should be building for Mahomes' future and it isn't likely that next year is it.  If Watkins is worth the contract, it will be when Mahomes has a year or two under his belt and the young talent is still at a peak.  Still, gotta like the possibilities that this presents.

And yes I think Watkins is the number one and not Hill. 8 tds last year in a spread offense that the Rams used is very telling. The guy is going to put up career numbers in KC for the next few years with Mahomes if he stays healthy.

Fun fact

Receiving leaders for the Rams last year:

Gurley 1 receiving TD every 11 receptions

Kupp 1 receiving TD every 12 receptions

Woods 1 receiving TD every 11 receptions

Watkins 1 receiving TD every 5 receptions

So who truly was the Rams most productive receiver?

whiners gonna whine.

We don't really know the contract yet to see if it's good or bad. The raw numbers on a contract mean nothing until we see the breakdown. This could be, in reality, a one year deal for all we know.

His mits are incredible. I’ve seen him make some crazy catches. Big paws

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Jaguars are giving WR Marqise Lee a four-year deal with a max value of $38 million, including $18M guaranteed, per source.

Sounds like KC's deal with Watkins is about right.

All the other deals are for less money, less guaranteed and more years. If Watkins was a 4 or 5 year contract then it looks better imo. Glad to have him but I think we over paid around 10 to 12 million easily.

All the other deals are for less money, less guaranteed and more years. If Watkins was a 4 or 5 year contract then it looks better imo. Glad to have him but I think we over paid around 10 to 12 million easily.

And if you were the GM we wouldnt have Sammy Watkins in the fold. Glad Veach is instead.

And yes I think Watkins is the number one and not Hill. 8 tds last year in a spread offense that the Rams used is very telling. The guy is going to put up career numbers in KC for the next few years with Mahomes if he stays healthy.

Agree

If it was for 4-5 years then KC would've paid alot more.  Watkins had multiple teams pursuing him so alot of this is supply and demand.

Compared to the Lee and Richardson's contract I really don't think we overpaid that much.  Maybe 1-3 million more than normal due to his demand.

The guaranteed money is a club pay option to have him sign, it doesn't really affect the team.

And if you were the GM we wouldnt have Sammy Watkins in the fold. Glad Veach is instead.

Maybe, maybe not. I have been right before. I am pointing out, nicely too, ths T they are not similar deals. We got just 3 years and much more money for Watkins. I am glad we have him, very excited but if my post upset you you can ignore it. I am not thrashing the team nor what Veach did, just felt we paid a bit more than we needed to do so.

Doubt it was that much. Someone else was bidding too. Sure the Chiefs had an idea of what it would take. Doubt they were bidding against themselves. A little high? Sure. But thats why its free agency. The new bar is set.

Doubt it was that much of an overpay. Someone else was bidding too. I am sure the Chiefs had an idea of what it would take. Doubt they were bidding against themselves. A little high? Sure. But thats why its free agency. The new bar is set.

Also....Check out the review on Arrowhead Pride. Goff was way off and WAtkins was open often.

If it was for 4-5 years then KC would've paid alot more. Watkins had multiple teams pursuing him so alot of this is supply and demand.

Compared to the Lee and Richardson's contract I really don't think we overpaid that much. Maybe 1-3 million more than normal due to his demand.

The guaranteed money is a club pay option to have him sign, it doesn't really affect the team.

I know it is supply and demand, not arguing that and we made the splash right away. We have the resources to do so. You saying 1 to 3 million, is that per year? I ask because I said 10 to 12 but I meant that over the 3 years total. Making it a 38 million dollar contract or so for 3 years or having it 48 million for 4 instead. I do think he will line up all over the field and possibly be our #1 WR. The only question I have is will he learn the system right away or will it take about a year for him to know Reid's offense?

Maybe, maybe not. I have been right before. I am pointing out, nicely too, ths T they are not similar deals. We got just 3 years and much more money for Watkins. I am glad we have him, very excited but if my post upset you you can ignore it. I am not thrashing the team nor what Veach did, just felt we paid a bit more than we needed to do so.

Youve never made a post that upset me. Ikm saying if the Chiefs offered Watkins 3/36 (which is what you said you think hes worth)then he would be flying elsewhere to sign a contract tomorrow.

Youve never made a post that upset me. Ikm saying if the Chiefs offered Watkins 3/36 (which is what you said you think hes worth)then he would be flying elsewhere to sign a contract tomorrow.

Maybe if the demand, as it seems, was there. That us still 12 mil per season and even if the went 3 for 40 still a good chunk. My main point was the contract was not like the other because if years and money. Thebwmaverage is 16 million for Watkins and 9 to 10 million for others. I do wish we got a 4th year option though but it is set up to come off the books when Mahomes is ready to sign which is nice.

I'm fine with paying up a little like we did.  At first I had wished for a longer contract BUT I think with the paying up..a 3 year protects us form him totally busting or his injury concerns that come with him.  I'm thinking Watkins camp liked the 3 year deal as well because it gives him the chance to get another pay day.

overall great signing and Veach can always let him walk after 3 year OR I'm thinking this could be a two year deal when it comes to the guarantee money.

I was thinking too. If Watkins does well and leaves after 3 years, will it open up FA to come to us? Mahomes does very well and is our franchise Qb we all hoped for

We are winning and hopefully have a SB win or appearance or a perennial contender for the SB etc. Do FA come here easily then for the chance tonplay for us with the Qb, coach etc? I hope so.

Archived