Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs

I would disagree on the dogging of Flacco.

Being as this is a Chiefs board, conversations about Chiefs players are warranted.

The constant retort of "oh yeah but Flacco sux" gets old when it has zero to do with the conversation.

Fair enough. He does suck though. You got to give me that. Not dogging the guy. Some of my best friends suck. I think every American has the right to proudly suck in this country. I am behind him 100%.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would disagree on the dogging of Flacco.

Being as this is a Chiefs board, conversations about Chiefs players are warranted.

The constant retort of "oh yeah but Flacco sux" gets old when it has zero to do with the conversation.

Not to us... 8)

Fair enough. He does suck though. You got to give me that. Not dogging the guy. Some of my best friends suck. I think every American has the right to proudly suck in this country. I am behind him 100%.

To be fair- He has not played his best in the last three years. I think injury and lack of playmakers plus constant change at Qb coach and OC have brought that on.

But he will always be better than Smith.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like they believe in his guy. I say go for it. They didn’t waiver. If he busts he busts. But I respect them going after what they see as a breakout player for their young QB. Rather than saving a few bucks to go for a guy they think is mediocre.

Saw this article today..Glad Chiefs got Watkins but did hey over pay..

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/09/jordan-matthews-contract-makes-chiefs-look-dumb/amp/

I saw that as well Jordan Matthews is a completely different receiver. He's more of a possession receiver where as Watkins has the potential to be Julio Jones under the right circumstances. 

Saw this article today..Glad Chiefs got Watkins but did hey over pay..

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/09/jordan-matthews-contract-makes-chiefs-look-dumb/amp/

Not really overpaid if he is a true number 1 receiver. WRs got paid big time in this years market. Matthews is a much more limited receiver coming off injuries so not really comparable. He's a 3rd receiver and a possession guy. Now if Watkins isn't the 1 they think he is then yeah they overpaid. But he's certainly shown the skillset to possibly be an elite 1.

I think Watkins is Reid’s new “Maclin” and Hill remains his “DeSean”.

Watkins went deep early and often in Buffalo but was asked to take a lot of short middle routes in LA.

Under Reid, Maclin and DeSean combined for over 200 catches and over 2000 yards the same season. I don’t see why Hill and Watkins can’t do the same!

It's the same old story, Chiefs paid too much and team X didn't boo hoo hoo. Let the "Chiefs overpaid Watkins" rant die already. I'm sure if he is a top 10 receiver in yards and top 5 in TDs over the next few years people will talk about how great the deal was. NOBODY knows how a deal plats out until the end of the contract. They onle ASSUme.

Jordan Matthews isn't even close to Sammy Watkins in terms of talent. 

This happens EVERY off-season with the Patriots.  The media drools over all their moves and then hides in the bushes when those players don't pan out.

Last off-season everyone was fawning over the signings of K. Ealy, M. Gilislee and R. Burkhead. 

K. Ealy got cut in TC and Gilislee barely played after the first 3-4 weeks because of Dion Lewis.  Burkhead was a role player.

Jordan Matthews isn't even close to Sammy Watkins in terms of talent. 

This happens EVERY off-season with the Patriots.  The media drools over all their moves and then hides in the bushes when those players don't pan out.

Last off-season everyone was fawning over the signings of K. Ealy, M. Gilislee and R. Burkhead. 

K. Ealy got cut in TC and Gilislee barely played after the first 3-4 weeks because of Dion Lewis.  Burkhead was a role player.

Yup...remember when they got Chad Ochocinco? Guaranteed Super Bowl lol

The Steelers are overpaying for Le'Veon Bell, they could have paid less for Dontari Poe. Poe scores a TD every time he runs with the ball.  He also passes for a TD every time he throws the ball.

We'll see who is the better receiver at the end of the season. If the Patriots got Matthews for $1.7 million it is because 31 other GMs thought he wasn't worth $2 million. The last line of that article is stupid, "And if Matthews can be his former self, he's criminally underpaid and Watkins is hugely overpaid."  What does Matthews returning to his former self have to do with Watkins?  Matthews can return to his former self and Watkins can have a record breaking season, would Watkins still be hugely over paid then? 

Watkins is a huge gamble if you’re looking at this objectively. Yes, he has immense talent, but his injury history is real and his on the field production hasn’t matched his draft position. Hopefully it works out for us but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about him getting hurt 1 week into training camp.

Watkins is a huge gamble if you’re looking at this objectively. Yes, he has immense talent, but his injury history is real and his on the field production hasn’t matched his draft position. Hopefully it works out for us but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about him getting hurt 1 week into training camp.

I actually feel 1000% fine about Watkins now that you're worried about it lol

Same was said about Alex Smith. Thing is we did not draft either one and thebmoneybisnthere to take a chance, something Veach seems to be good at. Not worried at all. Watkins knows that if he fails here due to injury, his time for good money will be done. I think we will see a healthy guy 2 years removed from surgery and finally able to show case his worth.

I actually feel 1000% fine about Watkins now that you're worried about it lol

Foot injuries are always a long term concern. We just need to get lucky there but he’s clearly healthy now. After hearing Bills beat writer rave about Watkins attitude and work ethic I feel better about what is clearly a risk. And his 25 TDs at only 24 years old fills a gigantic red zone need. In the end though this is Veach basically saying he thinks Watkins will turn into a star in Reid’s offense with Mahomes under center.

Foot injuries are always a long term concern. We just need to get lucky there but he’s clearly healthy now. After hearing Bills beat writer rave about Watkins attitude and work ethic I feel better about what is clearly a risk. And his 25 TDs at only 24 years old fills a gigantic red zone need. In the end though this is Veach basically saying he thinks Watkins will turn into a star in Reid’s offense with Mahomes under center.

And it will be soooo good watching Mahomes deliver strikes to Watkins, Kelce, and Hill. Can’t wait! We’re due for a change of injury luck.

Watkins isn't really a long term commitment. We can get out of the deal in 2 years and he'll be a free agent after the 3rd. We simply need him to remain healthy in the short term. Foot injuries do mess up the long term career of most players, especially in their 30s but Watkins is still very young to worry about that. 

Archived