Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elite?

Shit, you guys set the bar for "elite" pretty low at 59 catches a year.

Why do you try to compare the Chiefs to the Ravens? Not even the same division....we are talking Chiefs here.

Size, speed, athleticism...elite.  His stats overall in years he was not injured do not match that talent, but he's only 24 years old and his overall numbers for his age are very solid. Again he fits a need for us in the red zone with clear potential to be much better than that. Whether he does or not will make this signing a value or not.

The reason for comparing to the Ravens is simple. If we had bottom five offense as well as head coach and QB on the hot seat, maybe your point would make some sense. But rather we actually have a top 5 offense with young elite skill position players all over already on the roster. What would possible make our situation desperate?

Signing Watkins is a calculated gamble based on a QB and offensive scheme which better fits his immense talents. Fact he's now played on 3 teams in 5 seasons is a red flag for me as well. I'll readily admit that. But there's no denying potential here either. Our offensive potential with young elite talents across the board on offense is pretty amazing. 

Size, speed, athleticism...elite.  His stats overall in years he was not injured do not match that talent, but he's only 24 years old and his overall numbers for his age are very solid. Again he fits a need for us in the red zone with clear potential to be much better than that. Whether he does or not will make this signing a value or not.

Breshard Perriman has all three--- he is not elite. His stats dont match his (projected) talent. He's a bust as a draft pick. 32 million for a strictly redzone threat is dumb.

The reason for comparing to the Ravens is simple. If we had bottom five offense as well as head coach and QB on the hot seat, maybe your point would make some sense. But rather we actually have a top 5 offense with young elite skill position players all over already on the roster. What would possible make our situation desperate?

32 Million reasons why it smells of desperation......could have just kept Albert for $8 million....and the Ravens have nothing to do with this.

Signing Watkins is a calculated gamble based on a QB and offensive scheme which better fits his immense talents. Fact he's now played on 3 teams in 5 seasons is a red flag for me as well. I'll readily admit that. But there's no denying potential here either. Our offensive potential with young elite talents across the board on offense is pretty amazing. 

Baldwin had potential too

Lmao

He had a good post-season run, but I think that era is over and he's probably cooked. I anticipate 2017 will be his final year in Baltimore.

It's amazing how the Ravens shit their pants after that SB run.

If the Ravens "shit their pants" the last 5 years, then what have the Chiefs done since 1960-whatever?

Size, speed, athleticism...elite. His stats overall in years he was not injured do not match that talent, but he's only 24 years old and his overall numbers for his age are very solid. Again he fits a need for us in the red zone with clear potential to be much better than that. Whether he does or not will make this signing a value or not.

Breshard Perriman has all three--- he is not elite. His stats dont match his (projected) talent. He's a bust as a draft pick. 32 million for a strictly redzone threat is dumb.

32 Million reasons why it smells of desperation......could have just kept Albert for $8 million....and the Ravens have nothing to do with this.

I shouldn't come into a conversation like this but are you comparing Perriman to Watkins? You realize Watkins actually has a few years of actual productivity right?

Stick w/ the "past production doesn't match the contract" narrative. At least you'll maintain validity.

My take is that while there was obviously extreme determination (also called a "plan" at times) to lure Watkins away, the numbers to do so are certainly greater than even I would have liked.

Was/is Watkins desperately needed on a team that had a 4000yd passer, 1000yd receiver, 1000yd TE and 1000yd rusher necessary??? My guess off the top of my head is probably not. I'm assuming the plan is to surround Mahomes with every opportunity for success at all cost. Sounds legit to me. Similar to Philly adding everyone they could last season around Wentz. That didn't seem desperate to me, kinda smart actually.

Seeing the contracts that the other receivers got in the past day or two, it stands to reason that a premium has been established on the WR position. In order to execute the vision the Chiefs brass have, they had to up the ante. Simple as that.

Perriman does have elite talent but has never remotely done anything to make anyone believe it translates into even an average NFL player. He's the same age as Watkins by the way but has 2,500 fewer receiving yards and 22 fewer TDs.  And I'm not sure why I need to repeat the same thing three times for you to get it. Clearly he was signed because our GM believes he has a ton of upside with this QB and in this offense. It's not that hard to figure out. At worst if healthy he provides a good red zone threat. No doubt if that's all he does, there zero value here. But we get that and a very high potential ceiling as well. 

Of course they do. You just signed an older, clearly less talented player with 19 fewer career TDs to a 15 million dollar guarantee. So the guy you signed has been 25 percent as productive and is getting half as much pay. Is that desperate? Maybe.  Again this isn't a shot against Ravens its reality.  We don't have a bottom feeder offense like you do that desperately needs playmakers. It's why we released Maclin and you picked him up. And we could have kept Albert for 8 million? Huh? These aren't remotely similar talents or had remotely similar production. 

Baldwin? Morris? Hancock? You keep talking about Watkins like he's never done anything in the NFL. The guy is 24 years old and already has 25 career TDs for goodenss sakes. 

5 years vs 50?

LMAO.....

Flacco has more playoff wins in his rookie season than the Chiefs do since 1993.

Not sure why you all have to refer back to Joe whenever I post something truthful about a Chiefs player, coach etc....seems a little obsessive to me...

But good luck with that 32 million guaranteed for Watkins- an avg WR on his third team in 5 years....

I don’t know why you get mad when I say something truthfull. Flacco is terrible. Eli had a good run with a really good team and coach, but he is still terrible. Are you saying that Eli is a good QB right now because he has a ring? That makes no sense.

I shouldn't come into a conversation like this but are you comparing Perriman to Watkins? You realize Watkins actually has a few years of actual productivity right?

In terms of production, no I am not comparing the two. Perriman is a freakishly fast runner; he cannot stay healthy. You must have skipped over the part where I wrote "Perriman has been a bust as  1st rd draft pick"

Stick w/ the "past production doesn't match the contract" narrative. At least you'll maintain validity.

My validity on this Board has been proven in the 13 years that I have been a part of the Coalition- where have YOU been?

My take is that while there was obviously extreme determination (also called a "plan" at times) to lure Watkins away, the numbers to do so are certainly greater than even I would have liked.

32 Million guaranteed is way too much for a player caught 39 passes last year. Thats Past Production narrative for ya.

Was/is Watkins desperately needed on a team that had a 4000yd passer, 1000yd receiver, 1000yd TE and 1000yd rusher necessary??? My guess off the top of my head is probably not. I'm assuming the plan is to surround Mahomes with every opportunity for success at all cost. Sounds legit to me. Similar to Philly adding everyone they could last season around Wentz. That didn't seem desperate to me, kinda smart actually.

Desperation, yes. Why not keep Albert at 8 million?

Seeing the contracts that the other receivers got in the past day or two, it stands to reason that a premium has been established on the WR position. In order to execute the vision the Chiefs brass have, they had to up the ante. Simple as that.

Crazy contracts for sure but that is overpaying for mediocre production based on panicking in the open market= desperation.

I don’t know why you get mad when I say something truthfull. Flacco is terrible. Eli had a good run with a really good team and coach, but he is still terrible. Are you saying that Eli is a good QB right now because he has a ring? That makes no sense.

I don't get mad- I just don't get why when I comment on Chief, the answer always has to include a dig (warranted or not) on Flacco?

Seems kinda petty to me...

A lot of these arguments pertaining to Watkins are falling into the trap of box score analytics.  You see a stat line, comp it to another guy and say "see, they're the same!"  That's an awful way to go about armchair quarterbacking which, essentially, we all are.  You have to take into account so much more than that.  Outside of surrounding Mahomes with as many tools to succeed as possible, I'm putting my money on the Chiefs trying to run a NFL caliber spread offense next year.  Sammy gets vertical with the best of them and can go up and get balls.  He's had terrible QBs his entire career.  Does he have injury concerns, absolutely.  Is this a big gamble, totally.  But, anybody can get hurt in this game.  It's part of the deal.  He will thrive in this offense where we Reid will be able to put his skill set on full display.  

Again, don't comp him to Wilson.  That's a dumb argument for anyone to make.  Wilson is, at best, a #3 WR for the Dolphins.  I'll get off my soapbox now and look forward to getting royally thrashed by someone on here for saying this.

I don't get mad- I just don't get why when I comment on Chief, the answer always has to include a dig (warranted or not) on Flacco?

I think I can explain it, you are not just "talking chiefs", you come in and make continuous negative comments with respect to one of the Chief's free agent signings.   That free agent has Chief fans excited, there's optimism that Watkins can add to an already potent offense.  But, like always you come in and try to douse the excitement and since you are a fan of another NFL team, it is natural to retaliate.  If you don't want or expect that kind of response, then quit raining on the parade.  What i really don't get is why anyone here gives a shit what you think anyway.

I think I can explain it, you are not just "talking chiefs", you come in and make continuous negative comments with respect to one of the Chief's free agent signings.   That free agent has Chief fans excited, there's optimism that Watkins can add to an already potent offense.  But, like always you come in and try to douse the excitement and since you are a fan of another NFL team, it is natural to retaliate.  If you don't want or expect that kind of response, then quit raining on the parade.  What i really don't get is why anyone here gives a shit what you think anyway.

Thank you. Good advice. I will ignore.

Petty? Do you mean like trolling another teams board for 13 years?

completely nailed it, he pisses in our cheerios and cries when people return the favor

he's just mad Baltimore hasn't done anything.  Had they signed Watkins for the same $ he'd be gloating.

he's just mad Baltimore hasn't done anything. Had they signed Watkins for the same $ he'd be gloating.

They got a lot less value with a player that has limited upside in Ryan Grant. Problem is after 5 straight seasons out of the playoffs teams like Baltimore have to overpay to entice talent. By contrast Veach made a point yesterday to say we had Watkins as the Top free agent on our draft board. And yes when you decide to pay a high profile guy, you are also likely going to overpay from a pure value point as well Bur we targeted our top guy and got him. This is about as far from desperation as it gets.

You can certainly question Veach and his evaluation abilities if Watkins doesn’t pan out. But he got his guy and the Chiefs now have two WRs better than anyone the Ravens have. But maybe if we release somebody they will pick him up again. And we were already a top 5 offense.

A lot of these arguments pertaining to Watkins are falling into the trap of box score analytics. You see a stat line, comp it to another guy and say "see, they're the same!" That's an awful way to go about armchair quarterbacking which, essentially, we all are. You have to take into account so much more than that. Outside of surrounding Mahomes with as many tools to succeed as possible, I'm putting my money on the Chiefs trying to run a NFL caliber spread offense next year. Sammy gets vertical with the best of them and can go up and get balls. He's had terrible QBs his entire career. Does he have injury concerns, absolutely. Is this a big gamble, totally. But, anybody can get hurt in this game. It's part of the deal. He will thrive in this offense where we Reid will be able to put his skill set on full display.

Again, don't comp him to Wilson. That's a dumb argument for anyone to make. Wilson is, at best, a #3 WR for the Dolphins. I'll get off my soapbox now and look forward to getting royally thrashed by someone on here for saying this.

I actually agree. We've been dabbling in the spread but i think andy has a whole new hybrid spread west coast offense cooked up and ready to release with Mahomes. He's been preparing for this since he got to kc and started hiring guys to research spread concepts.

They got a lot less value with a player that has limited upside in Ryan Grant. Problem is after 5 straight seasons out of the playoffs teams like Baltimore have to overpay to entice talent. By contrast Veach made a point yesterday to say we had Watkins as the Top free agent on our draft board. We targeted our top guy and got him. This is about as far from desperation as it gets.

You can certainly question Veach and his evaluation abilities if Watkins doesn’t pan out. But he got his guy and the Chiefs now have two WRs better than anyone the Ravens have. But maybe if we release somebody they will pick him up again. And we were already a top 5 offense.

I think REID has a lot of say in these signings, cap issues etc. Its not just the rookie GM.

In terms of production, no I am not comparing the two. Perriman is a freakishly fast runner; he cannot stay healthy. You must have skipped over the part where I wrote "Perriman has been a bust as 1st rd draft pick"

My validity on this Board has been proven in the 13 years that I have been a part of the Coalition- where have YOU been?

32 Million guaranteed is way too much for a player caught 39 passes last year. Thats Past Production narrative for ya.

Desperation, yes. Why not keep Albert at 8 million?

Crazy contracts for sure but that is overpaying for mediocre production based on panicking in the open market= desperation.

Noted.

Respectfully disagree.

You dog Watkins and I dog Flacco. It’s chest bumping, trash talking, fun banter between opposing fans.

Which one of the two has a better chance at going to the Pro Bowl this year? See, that’s fun.

Archived