Going forward, everybody is on a two-year deal....

Not arguing for or against but isn't that exactly the same? 3 years guaranteed is the same as cutting a guy 3 years into a 5 year contract. Either way he's back on the market at 32.

Players most commonly cut on the back end of their contract are typically underperforming. A player that isn’t declining usually gets a new deal the offseason before the last year of the contract. Guaranteed contracts would help declining players more than performing players. Consider this. If contracts were fully guaranteed now, we’d be paying Hali again for absolutely no production.

Nobody forced them to choose to play this game and nobody has forced them to sign their contract. They have a players union and have voted to agree to the parameters in affect. Any one of them are free to go get a normal job like any one of us at any time. You'll get no tears here.

The best thing about NFL is the hard cap and I don't think anything else even comes close to it. With fully guaranteed contracts the first thing we lose is the hard cap and next thing you know it all turns into NBA. Most players wouldn't get paid as much in a guaranteed contract environment and as seen in the NBA it doesn't provide an incentive to perform as the money is already guaranteed. 

Players most commonly cut on the back end of their contract are typically underperforming. A player that isn’t declining usually gets a new deal the offseason before the last year of the contract. Guaranteed contracts would help declining players more than performing players. Consider this. If contracts were fully guaranteed now, we’d be paying Hali again for absolutely no production.

Maybe I missed a post, but I don't think anyone was saying a contract should be fully guaranteed. I thought we were discussing the guaranteed money that is put into contracts currently. I have no problem with that and advocate that but in no way do I support an entire contract being fully guaranteed. 

Maybe I missed a post, but I don't think anyone was saying a contract should be fully guaranteed. I thought we were discussing the guaranteed money that is put into contracts currently. I have no problem with that and advocate that but in no way do I support an entire contract being fully guaranteed.

Someone said contracts should be fully guaranteed to protect players who get hurt, or something to that effect. That’s what drove the discussion as to guaranteed.

Someone said contracts should be fully guaranteed to protect players who get hurt, or something to that effect. That’s what drove the discussion as to guaranteed.

I have a poster on ignore so I wonder if that's why I didn't see it. I agree there is no way a franchise could field a good team if contracts were fully guaranteed. Unless they had a cap that is twice what it is now, but that would get eating up quick with contracts being even more inflated. Not realistic at all.

Just saw this and it explains a lot on the 3 year deals we are seeing

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22825506/behind-2018-nfl-free-agency-contract-numbers-really-got-best-deals

2. Sammy Watkins was among the other big winners

Watkins' $21 million signing bonus from the Chiefs is the 16th-highest ever, the fourth-highest ever for a non-quarterback and the highest ever for a wide receiver. Obviously, that's guaranteed, as is his $790,000 2018 salary and $8.21 million of his $11.95 million 2019 salary. Which means $30 million in real guarantees at signing and a contract structure that would make it tough for the Chiefs to cut Watkins after only one season. His top-line numbers are $48 million for three years, but he's guaranteed to make at least 62.5 percent of that, and the chances of him earning his full 2019 salary are high.

Sammy Watkins is set to pocket a significant portion of his new deal. Getty Images

Of the 54 multiyear deals I've reviewed so far, 23 have at least some fully guaranteed money in 2019, and 11 have full guarantees for 2019. The list of players (in addition to Solder and Johnson) whose new deals include full guarantees for 2019 include: Chiefs linebacker Anthony Hitchens, Bears tight end Trey Burton, Texans cornerback Aaron Colvin, Chargers tight end Virgil Green, Jaguars wide receiver Marqise Lee, Titans defensive end DaQuan Jones, Jaguars guard Andrew Norwell and, believe it or not, Bears kicker Cody Parkey. Parkey gets $5.5 million fully guaranteed this year and $3.5 million fully guaranteed in 2019. If you got a deal that doesn't allow your team an out in March or April of 2019, you got a good deal.

The three-year deals aren't a coincidence, because that's how many years are left on the current collective bargaining agreement. Nobody knows what the rules will be for contracts and the salary cap in 2021 and beyond, or whether another lockout looms in 2021. TV deals expire around that time too, so projecting league revenue much further into the future is also risky.

But 2020 is a weird year, per the collective bargaining agreement, and its weirdness is likely to continue to affect contract structures this year and over the next two. The CBA, for example, establishes a "30 percent rule." Any player under contract in 2020 and beyond is prohibited from earning a salary more than 30 percent higher than his 2020 salary in any subsequent season. So, for example, the Hitchens deal runs through 2022, but his salary actually goes down from $7.8 million in 2020 to $5.8 million in 2021 before rising again to $7.8 million in 2022.

Another 2020-specific rule to watch is one that allows teams to designate one franchise player and one transition player that year, as opposed to one or the other. And it's also worth noting that there are no post-June 1 release designations allowed in 2020, which could affect the way teams make decisions on roster cuts as early as next year. As the end of the current CBA draws closer, teams and agents are going to have to work even harder to structure deals in ways that dance around that ominous "final league year."

Just saw this and it explains a lot on the 3 year deals we are seeing

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22825506/behind-2018-nfl-free-agency-contract-numbers-really-got-best-deals

2. Sammy Watkins was among the other big winners

Watkins' $21 million signing bonus from the Chiefs is the 16th-highest ever, the fourth-highest ever for a non-quarterback and the highest ever for a wide receiver. Obviously, that's guaranteed, as is his $790,000 2018 salary and $8.21 million of his $11.95 million 2019 salary. Which means $30 million in real guarantees at signing and a contract structure that would make it tough for the Chiefs to cut Watkins after only one season. His top-line numbers are $48 million for three years, but he's guaranteed to make at least 62.5 percent of that, and the chances of him earning his full 2019 salary are high.

Sammy Watkins is set to pocket a significant portion of his new deal. Getty Images

Of the 54 multiyear deals I've reviewed so far, 23 have at least some fully guaranteed money in 2019, and 11 have full guarantees for 2019. The list of players (in addition to Solder and Johnson) whose new deals include full guarantees for 2019 include: Chiefs linebacker Anthony Hitchens, Bears tight end Trey Burton, Texans cornerback Aaron Colvin, Chargers tight end Virgil Green, Jaguars wide receiver Marqise Lee, Titans defensive end DaQuan Jones, Jaguars guard Andrew Norwell and, believe it or not, Bears kicker Cody Parkey. Parkey gets $5.5 million fully guaranteed this year and $3.5 million fully guaranteed in 2019. If you got a deal that doesn't allow your team an out in March or April of 2019, you got a good deal.

The three-year deals aren't a coincidence, because that's how many years are left on the current collective bargaining agreement. Nobody knows what the rules will be for contracts and the salary cap in 2021 and beyond, or whether another lockout looms in 2021. TV deals expire around that time too, so projecting league revenue much further into the future is also risky.

But 2020 is a weird year, per the collective bargaining agreement, and its weirdness is likely to continue to affect contract structures this year and over the next two. The CBA, for example, establishes a "30 percent rule." Any player under contract in 2020 and beyond is prohibited from earning a salary more than 30 percent higher than his 2020 salary in any subsequent season. So, for example, the Hitchens deal runs through 2022, but his salary actually goes down from $7.8 million in 2020 to $5.8 million in 2021 before rising again to $7.8 million in 2022.

Another 2020-specific rule to watch is one that allows teams to designate one franchise player and one transition player that year, as opposed to one or the other. And it's also worth noting that there are no post-June 1 release designations allowed in 2020, which could affect the way teams make decisions on roster cuts as early as next year. As the end of the current CBA draws closer, teams and agents are going to have to work even harder to structure deals in ways that dance around that ominous "final league year."

Nice share. Makes a lot of sense. 

I wouldn't mind the league enforcing some guarantees in case of injuries. In fact they should raise the compensation in case of lame contracts. NFL could take some measures such as these situations not having as much affect on the cap or something. However guaranteeing all contracts outright will eventually hurt the NFL. 

Archived