Is anyone against moves Veach is making?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference is that Dorsey was giving out 4-6 year deals...Veach seems stuck on 1-3, leaving a stockpile of cash for the future instead of it all catching up

Dorsey was also giving out big contracts to third contract declining guys like Tamba, DJ and Charles. Anthony Sherman would be a concern if we gave him a big guarantee, but that’s highly unlikely. The 2018 Cbiefs will be one of the youngest rosters in franchise history.

Not really. I like the aggressiveness. Those weren’t for he two guys I would have targeted, but they have more research resources than any of us so I will wait to pass judgment.

WR and ILB were needs. Just not as big a needs in my mind as rusher, D line and G. Still early.

The difference is that Dorsey was giving out 4-6 year deals...Veach seems stuck on 1-3, leaving a stockpile of cash for the future instead of it all catching up

Huh? Veach just gave a LB a 5 year deal.

I’m good with what Veach has done btw

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/UTEP_logo.gif

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

Height: 6-2. Weight: 340. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 9.75.

Projected 40 Time: 5.25.

Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

2/17/18: Hernandez looks like a lock for the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He is a bull dozer in the ground game who routinely pushes defenders out of their gaps. Hernandez is very strong at the point of attack with a heavy base to help him get movement at the point of attack. He is shorter and lacks length compared to a lot of starting guards in the NFL, but he makes up for it with overwhelming strength.

Hernandez could use work on his pass protection for the NFL as he can have issues with speed and length. His strong base allows him to anchor well against bull rushes. Fast interior rushers and defensive ends who move inside in the sub package will be a challenge for Hernandez, but he has the potential to improve there to become a force as a starting guard in the NFL. He would fit best in a power-man scheme rather than a zone scheme.

Hernandez has created some buzz last fall, as SI's Bruce Feldman wrote that he'd heard that Hernandez was the top guard prospect. In reaching out to some team sources, they had Hernandez behind Quenton Nelson.

I don't like the idea of paying any FA WR big money. However I think Veach might be trying to provide Mahomes with the best possible cast to speed up the growing process. I would be worried if he makes a habit of this situation. Besides Watkins there's really no questionable move IMO. 

Regarding the guys who left we have seen almost all of them get overpaid which is a reason to stay away from them. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if we can get some nice picks for next year in the process. Dorsey overpaid a lot of in-house guys and Veach looks to have kept the ones he could with reasonable deals while letting others leave.

Veach is obviously not taking the approach of giving Pat a year to get comfortable and then going for a Superbowl. He is in win now mode. I like it.

Veach did however acknowledge he expects growing pains with this much younger roster. But made it clear he’s looking to acquire core guys who can move into their prime the next few years with Mahomes.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/UTEP_logo.gif

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP

Height: 6-2. Weight: 340. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 9.75.

Projected 40 Time: 5.25.

Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

2/17/18: Hernandez looks like a lock for the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He is a bull dozer in the ground game who routinely pushes defenders out of their gaps. Hernandez is very strong at the point of attack with a heavy base to help him get movement at the point of attack. He is shorter and lacks length compared to a lot of starting guards in the NFL, but he makes up for it with overwhelming strength.

Hernandez could use work on his pass protection for the NFL as he can have issues with speed and length. His strong base allows him to anchor well against bull rushes. Fast interior rushers and defensive ends who move inside in the sub package will be a challenge for Hernandez, but he has the potential to improve there to become a force as a starting guard in the NFL. He would fit best in a power-man scheme rather than a zone scheme.

Hernandez has created some buzz last fall, as SI's Bruce Feldman wrote that he'd heard that Hernandez was the top guard prospect. In reaching out to some team sources, they had Hernandez behind Quenton Nelson.

This guy is the exact opposite of what Andy looks for in a guard.

fify

Veach referenced his preference to trade back into the first round this year at his press conference today.

"Who knows... maybe we'll be back in the first round." Not sure if that could be called a preference but this is the actual quote.

I think the only signing that really resembles a "Dorsey" move in the Watkins signings. That said, I don't expect Veach to make every single move the same or different then what Dorsey did. And honesty, not all of Dorsey's moves were the same. They both will have their own individual tendencies, but if I expect that we will see signings that break their individual molds as well. Remember the Chiefs did have one of the youngest rosters for a few years under Dorsey. It was the last year or 2 where it really seemed to be older among starting positions. 

I was surprised by the Watkins signing. Felt our biggest needs are on the defensive side...and that is a lot of money to upgrade what was already gonna be a good offense. I do believe Veach overpaid. That having been said...I wait to see what we do the rest of FA and the draft. Defense has to improve or it might be the Vermeil days all over again. Chiefs D needs to be at least decent if not good. 28th is not decent. There is talent there in Berry, Houston, Jones, Ragland and Fuller. A couple of solid additions could get us there.

Question, why do so many people care what the Chiefs spend on these players?  It's not any of our money and the Chiefs are in great cap space, especially next year when they can load up these deals and have.

What do you expect to happen in free agency?  All the best players be signed for the best deal for the Chiefs?  We know that's not going to happen.

Sammy Watkins and Hitchens will count for at most, $13 million against the cap in 2018.

I like the moves. The money seems high but you have to pay more in the firs wave of FA and LBs like Hitchens don't just grow on trees. We now have our thumper and cover lbs and quite possible the most dangerous wr duo in the league. Pat will struggle but he's going to throw for a ton of TDs and yards. Defenses had a hard time stopping (Hill, Kelce, and Hunt). We add Ware and Watkins....dang!

The only move I found questionable was the one he didn't make. Wilkerson 1 year for 5 million is a head scratcher. That is exactly the kind of deal we needed and he knows Sutton scheme. Can't fully blame him though not knowing all the details.

Regardless we can't judge him this year anyways not in terms of the cap. Gonna have to wait and see how he manages it over the next couple years. Hope he learned drom Dorseys mistakes while maintaining Dorsey's excellent eye for talent and finding diamonds in the rough. So far so good imo.

So looks like they are in to win now. I like it.

Veach is still like a rookie GM. He will have growing pains too. 

Reid is likely very involved in all these decisions ,as he was with Dorsey, to include cap issues. Hunt needs to keep a close watch on future cap issues too.

I would enjoy sports much more if the player contracts were not the focus. Wish it was all private. 

Archived