Is anyone against moves Veach is making?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Berry back Sorensen is already going to see his playing time diminish drastically (for the best)

If we do sign Matthieu or however you spell it, I think it’s conceivable that Sutton could at times roll with 3 safeties in the dime package. Sorensen wasn’t horrible, he’s just not Berry, and asking him to do things Berry did was always going to be an effort in futility. At worst he’s solid depth and an A+ special teams guy.

ah ok, I read it before we resigned him. I'm sure it will change as we fill out the roster but it is nice knowing that we not only have a solid team but young one as well.

Does anyone really count the age of the punter in reference to the overall youth of a team? Given the lack of contact, limited snaps, and the job itself, a good punter could easily play into his mid 40s if he wanted to.

These shorter contracts expire when Mahomes will be up for big money. Not a coincidence. 5th year option on mahomes will be big money. We have 3 cheap years. Go hog wild for those 3 years while maintaining some flexibility for 2nd contracts on tyreek, jones and maybe some others. Smart business. So far veach has a good plan.

I like that Veach isn’t afraid to rock the boat, and clearly seems like a man with a plan. Previous GMs seemed to content to make safe draft choices, resign our own FAs, and only pick up middling to low guys in free agency. It’s the first time in my lifetime that I feel like there’s a clear plan and a willingness to execute it, while forging our own legacy rather than trying to recapture someone else’s (Rams,49ers,Pats). It’ll take some years to be able to judge how well Veach has done, but for now I’m happy to know what we’re doing is the Chiefs way, not trying to recapture or replicate someone else’s glory. If Veach does this right, he has a chance to be a legend in this town, and not a reviled legend as King Carl was. I only wish we would’ve gotten someone so willing to make their own way twenty years ago

Colquitt is making more than Tyreek Hill man I don’t necessarily like that signing. Otherwise its been good

Hill is also on his 5th round rookie contract. It will not be this way for much longer once we get him his 2nd contract

Colquitt is making more than Tyreek Hill man I don’t necessarily like that signing. Otherwise its been good

That’s the nfl rookie salary structure, and that’s exactly how it was intended , so that rookies aren’t taking money from all the vets.

These shorter contracts expire when Mahomes will be up for big money. Not a coincidence. 5th year option on mahomes will be big money. We have 3 cheap years. Go hog wild for those 3 years while maintaining some flexibility for 2nd contracts on tyreek, jones and maybe some others. Smart business. So far veach has a good plan.

Agree completely. I still think next season is going to be a struggle at time with an incomplete rebuild of the defense and a very young QB. But clearly I think they believe we aren't that far away from being a real threat in January. And having that flexibility to pull the trigger on that one piece which could make the difference is crucial. 

I'm OK with the moves that Veach has made.  I like them to be honest.  However, I have four (4) issues.

First, he has not done anything with the OL or DL in free agency.  In my mind the DL was a big reason for our crap defense.  See my next 2 issues for the other reasons our D sucked.  I'm against trying to draft an OL/DL with one of our high picks because it often takes these guys a while to develop into dominant players... and I sort of feel like we are in a "win now" mode.

Second, he has not improved our pass rush.  This is a huge problem in my mind.  No secondary is going to hold up against a good QB if that QB has 10 seconds to throw the damn ball.  Hopefully getting Ford back will help.  In the alternative, I hope they see something in Tanoh which is why they are not going after pass rushers.  I have to be honest though, In my mind we should have gone after some bad@ss pass rushers in free agency.

Third, we still have Sutton as DC.  He has our best pass rusher out in coverage trying to cover WR's often.  This should NEVER happen.  Our DC also runs Nickle or Dime in obvious running situations.  He likes to rush 3 or 4 guys at the QB all the time (sometimes while having our best rusher out in coverage).  As I said above:  no secondary is going to hold up if a good QB is given 10 seconds to thrown the ball.  This is my biggest issue with the off-season so far.  Veach probably has no control over this.  I will be yelling "I told you so" on this board when Sutton fu(ks up our season with his crap play-calling and we get torn to shreds on the defensive side of the ball.

Fourth,  the Peters trade was crap. We did not even get a 1st round draft pick for a player that was dominating at a very important position.  A 4th round draft pick this year?... are you kidding me?  This is unacceptable.  Again, I am guessing Veach had no control over this.

I'm OK with the moves that Veach has made.  I like them to be honest.  However, I have four (4) issues.

First, he has not done anything with the OL or DL in free agency.  In my mind the DL was a big reason for our crap defense.  See my next 2 issues for the other reasons our D sucked.  I'm against trying to draft an OL/DL with one of our high picks because it often takes these guys a while to develop into dominant players... and I sort of feel like we are in a "win now" mode.

Second, he has not improved our pass rush.  This is a huge problem in my mind.  No secondary is going to hold up against a good QB if that QB has 10 seconds to throw the damn ball.  Hopefully getting Ford back will help.  In the alternative, I hope they see something in Tanoh which is why they are not going after pass rushers.  I have to be honest though, In my mind we should have gone after some bad@ss pass rushers in free agency.

Third, we still have Sutton as DC.  He has our best pass rusher out in coverage trying to cover WR's often.  This should NEVER happen.  Our DC also runs Nickle or Dime in obvious running situations.  He likes to rush 3 or 4 guys at the QB all the time (sometimes while having our best rusher out in coverage).  As I said above:  no secondary is going to hold up if a good QB is given 10 seconds to thrown the ball.  This is my biggest issue with the off-season so far.  Veach probably has no control over this.  I will be yelling "I told you so" on this board when Sutton fu(ks up our season with his crap play-calling and we get torn to shreds on the defensive side of the ball.

Fourth,  the Peters trade was crap. We did not even get a 1st round draft pick for a player that was dominating at a very important position.  A 4th round draft pick this year?... are you kidding me?  This is unacceptable.  Again, I am guessing Veach had no control over this.

1)  IMO, our offensive line is fine.  We get Morse back to replace Fulton, and the other 4 spots are more than fine.  OL got massively overpaid in FA and I'm glad we stayed out of that.  Also, for depth, we did re-sign Devey adding to Erving, Ehringer for depth.  That's 8 OL'man on the roster right now, not sure how many you would carry but IMO, if they want to add another it should be through the draft. 

2) DL is also tricky.  We have RNR, Bailey, Jones, Jenkins under contract now so they do need at least 1-2 more.  I think they're eyeballing DL in the draft because the DL in FA got over paid as well.  D. Poe got almost $10 million a year, for example.

3)  I think Reid is giving Sutton one more chance in a year of alot of turnover.  If the defense sucks this year, he will be gone for 2019.

4)  You're right, Veach had no control over Peters' trade value because only 2 teams wanted him.  He may be a great player, but his baby fits and blow ups diminished his trade value and the Chiefs were just flat out done with him.  It sucks, but it is what is.

I wouldn't minded singing Junior Gallette on a one year prove deal assuming we draft a developmental guy like Dorace Armstrong in the draft.   I'm not sold on Dee Ford and we can't rely on Zombo like we did last year.   Now maybe the staff feels good about Tanoh and Dadi and if thats the case then I'm ok with sitting out of FA.  Like y'al said there was zero studs available.   

At this point I would like to see us address NT/DE in FA if we could.   Jonathan Hankins would be a nice addition.    I wouldn't even hate bringing Logan back if it was for half the price of this last year.

I think the trench guys are coming from the draft, and I expect that an edge rusher comes from the draft as well. Don’t discount the possibility that we move back into the first round. Moving forward I think the game plan is to score early and often and make the opposition throw the ball 40+ times a game. We really have to hope Ford can get healthy and rebound.

I wouldn't minded singing Junior Gallette on a one year prove deal assuming we draft a developmental guy like Dorace Armstrong in the draft. I'm not sold on Dee Ford and we can't rely on Zombo like we did last year. Now maybe the staff feels good about Tanoh and Dadi and if thats the case then I'm ok with sitting out of FA. Like y'al said there was zero studs available.

At this point I would like to see us address NT/DE in FA if we could. Jonathan Hankins would be a nice addition. I wouldn't even hate bringing Logan back if it was for half the price of this last year.

Logan for 4 mill would be great. Rotate him with a rookie.

Over 28 million this season invested in the pass rush now between Houston and Ford. Kind of naive to think we were going to spend heavily there in FA.

Over 29 million invested in the o-line this season between Fisher, Schwartz, and LDT. Kind of naive to think we were going to spend heavily there in FA.

I could have seen an investment at LG to help Mahomes and theoretically they can dump Fisher next year. Just couldn't see them paying LT money to a LG, though.

At edge? Not with Ford staying.

That's why I didn't see them looking to spend much money on hb. Eric Berry is already highest paid.

I could have seen an investment at LG to help Mahomes and theoretically they can dump Fisher next year. Just couldn't see them paying LT money to a LG, though.

At edge? Not with Ford staying.

That's why I didn't see them looking to spend much money on hb. Eric Berry is already highest paid.

Yep. Gotta spread the money out evenly among position groups. Except CB apparently. They have next to nothin invested there.

Archived