Is anyone against moves Veach is making?

I think his reputation will be determined by what our defense looks like come the first game of the season. If lessons haven't been learned from last year then obviously he will have failed imo. He's done very well thus far, but this is a results business after all.

I’ll give Veach two years to hold him accountable for the defense. He’s likely replacing 7 starters. I do believe we will improve next year regardless.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiefsfoolfan living up to the name!

WE SHOULD SIGN VON MILLER!

Thank you for the insult when I bring up a valid concern.

You want to tell me there were no free agent pass rushers better than Zombi out there?

My name comes from the fact that I foolishly root for a team that consistently disappoints its fans in the playoffs for almost 50 yrs.

It is a valid concern. I would say they targeted and got what they felt was the best offensive and best defensive player available. Had there been a stud pass rusher out there and they didn’t make an offer, that would bother me. I didn’t see anyone that was a young stud (which is what they are targeting) that would beat out Ford and Kpass. Zombo is really not the measuring stick in my mind. Our top prospects:

1. Kpass

2. Ford

3. Dady

I hope for another in the draft.

You want to tell me there were no free agent pass rushers better than Zombi out there?

My name comes from the fact that I foolishly root for a team that consistently disappoints its fans in the playoffs for almost 50 yrs.

What's foolish is saying we should have gone after the non existent "badass" pass rusher free agents. Badass pass rusher don't come up in free agency. Every single one of them had as many issues as the guys we already have. So you're freaking out about a scenario that was non-existent. That is foolish.

But if you're that frustrated with the chiefs just change teams. Why torture yourself.

The moves the Chiefs have been making the past year are nothing like anything we’ve seen around here in 50 years. Andy Reid rebuilt this franchise from bottom feeder to one of the most consistent teams in the game. And the fact he’s willing to do all of this is a testament to the fact they are clearly not satisfied with being consistently good, they want to be great.

As for pass rushers, we already have 30 million tied up in our OLBs. Until we let Dee Ford walk next year, we need to focus on first drafting potential replacements. Free agency should be used tactically.

There's still time and we could add a DB to the mix and another in the draft. Definitely the thinnest group right now. Not sure if a rookie will be enough at NT either. That being said with so many true OLBs interviewed I wouldn't be surprised to see a switch to 4-3 rendering the NT useless. 

How how we line up in a 4-3? We seem to have more talent at LB than D line.

3/4

Bailey, Nacho/Jenkins, Jones (seem to be the best we have)

Houston, Ragland, Hitchens, Kpass

We are crazy thin at D line. We have some wild cards with potential at LB.

Kpass, Ford, Dady

Solid starters in Houston, Ragland.

Plus rotational solid depth with Wilson, Zombo.

I can’t find the numbers on the roster to go 4-3.

you'll have to excuse me while I chuckle at that statement

The game was far different in the era before free agency. So we are really only talking the last 25 years.(although we were one of the worst organizations in sports the twenty years before that so not much to compare too) And this is without question a different way of operating than we have at any other time in that era. Starts with Mahomes, gets into aggressive training camp trades, trading off multiple Pro Bowlers in their prime and dumping basically every player on the roster over 30 who’s not a punter.

Only time will tell if it works, but this definitely isn’t a plan we are familiar with.

The game was far different in the era before free agency. So we are really only talking the last 25 years.(although we were one of the worst organizations in sports the twenty years before that so not much to compare too) And this is without question a different way of operating than we have at any other time in that era. Starts with Mahomes, gets into aggressive training camp trades, trading off multiple Pro Bowlers in their prime and dumping basically every player on the roster over 30 who’s not a punter.

Only time will tell if it works, but this definitely isn’t a plan we are familiar with.

thanks for that History lesson  but might I give you this link to  reconsider http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1561856-how-free-agency-changed-the-nfl-forever.

tho the only bold move that you might be 1/2 right is the trading up to get a Qb ..other than that there is nothing ground breaking in what has been done.. give it a break and who are these "Mulitiple ProBowlers in their prime?"  surely your not talking Alex.. your not in your prime 12 years down the road unless your a sure fire  1rst ballet HOFr..

Watkins is the only head scratcher to me. I like that it is a short deal, but that seems like a lot of money for a guy now on his third team as young as he is.

I think this talking point is only a big deal if the Rams had no interest. They were very interested in keeping him, but can't spend a lot with lots of big money deals coming up.

thanks for that History lesson but might I give you this link to reconsider http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1561856-how-free-agency-changed-the-nfl-forever.

tho the only bold move that you might be 1/2 right is the trading up to get a Qb ..other than that there is nothing ground breaking in what has been done.. give it a break and who are these "Mulitiple ProBowlers in their prime?" surely your not talking Alex.. your not in your prime 12 years down the road unless your a sure fire 1rst ballet HOFr..

Free agency as we know it started 26 years ago. I’m confused about what you could possibly be challenging about how this dramatically changed the game?

Alex was in fact a Pro Bowler who did in fact just have by far his best season. Again this isn’t even debatable. The old standard for this organization would have been to trade for rather than trade away this type of player. And of course there’s Marcus Peters. So as I said we traded away multiple Pro Bowlers and likewise also dumped everyone on the roster over 30 who doesn’t punt.

Strange your taking me to task on this. You somehow believe this is all just status quo type stuff for us?

Past moves like trading for Montana and Trent Green, along with some kind of compensation for Vermeil were pretty dramatic. Smith and Cassel to a lesser degree. We are just in the middle of a soft rebuild, nothing too dramatic.

this ^^ and getting Marcus Allen with Montana..so far we have not IMO had a better team since.

I got nothing against  Alex except his weak arm and unwillingness until the Mahomes affect took place where he knew he had nothing to lose to let the Ball fly..just because his Stats were the best to date of his medocre career means literally nothing to me and the Pro Bowl or being a pro-bowler ( unless first team or an ALL PRO)means nothing to me. Alex was merely a backup ( 3rd string at that behind Andy Dalton &  Rivers) because Brady was in the SB and Big Ben  & Carr were injured..whoppdee fukn doo.

this ^^ and getting Marcus Allen with Montana..so far we have not IMO had a better team since.

I got nothing against Alex except his weak arm and unwillingness until the Mahomes affect took place where he knew he had nothing to lose to let the Ball fly..just because his Stats were the best to date of his medocre career means literally nothing to me and the Pro Bowl or being a pro-bowler ( unless first team or an ALL PRO)means nothing to me. Alex was merely a backup ( 3rd string at that behind Andy Dalton & Rivers) because Brady was in the SB and Big Ben & Carr were injured..whoppdee fukn doo.

Alex was the second best QB in the AFC last year and just had one of the best seasons by any Chiefs QB in decades. Give me a break with guys like Dalton and Carr over Alex in 2017.

Al

Past moves like trading for Montana and Trent Green, along with some kind of compensation for Vermeil were pretty dramatic. Smith and Cassel to a lesser degree. We are just in the middle of a soft rebuild, nothing too dramatic.

My point exactly. Our standard operating strategy for decades has been to trade for, rather than trade away 30 something year old QBs. We foolishly did trade draft picks for Herm and DV.

In general we also liked to band aid declining but still competitive teams. Not this time.

I like that Veach isn’t afraid to rock the boat, and clearly seems like a man with a plan. Previous GMs seemed to content to make safe draft choices, resign our own FAs, and only pick up middling to low guys in free agency. It’s the first time in my lifetime that I feel like there’s a clear plan and a willingness to execute it, while forging our own legacy rather than trying to recapture someone else’s (Rams,49ers,Pats). It’ll take some years to be able to judge how well Veach has done, but for now I’m happy to know what we’re doing is the Chiefs way, not trying to recapture or replicate someone else’s glory. If Veach does this right, he has a chance to be a legend in this town, and not a reviled legend as King Carl was. I only wish we would’ve gotten someone so willing to make their own way twenty years ago

I like this post. But I did enjoy rooting for shottenheimers and vermeils teams (even Herms, if I’m going to be honest)... Andy brought back good football for the last 5 years. And the future has never been brighter

My point exactly. Our standard operating strategy for decades has been to trade for, rather than trade away 30 something year old QBs. We foolishly did trade draft picks for Herm and DV.

In general we also liked to band aid declining but still competitive teams. Not this time.

Yup. If dumping your successful, widely repected GM a month before training camp (and a month after he drafted the nfl leading runner and a QB everyone — everyone — thinks could be special despite only playing one game), replacing another OC that took a HC job, walking away from icons, making two of the most talked-about trades, and signing two players on the first day of FA isn’t dramatic, I don’t know what is!!

Soft rebuild.... Jesus, you guys are hard to please!

How how we line up in a 4-3? We seem to have more talent at LB than D line.

3/4

Bailey, Nacho/Jenkins, Jones (seem to be the best we have)

Houston, Ragland, Hitchens, Kpass

We are crazy thin at D line. We have some wild cards with potential at LB.

Kpass, Ford, Dady

Solid starters in Houston, Ragland.

Plus rotational solid depth with Wilson, Zombo.

I can’t find the numbers on the roster to go 4-3.

Even though I don't expect a switch in such a case I think KPass and Ford move to the DE spots right away. Both have a history of playing with their hands on the ground, so the lineup IMO would be:

Kpass - Bailey - Jones - Ford

Houston - Hitchens - Ragland

Such a move would depend on Ragland handling the OLB position. Personally I like 3-4 more as it's more aggressive and we need one more true 3-4 OLB and a solid NT to make it work.

Even though I don't expect a switch in such a case I think KPass and Ford move to the DE spots right away. Both have a history of playing with their hands on the ground, so the lineup IMO would be:

Kpass - Bailey - Jones - Ford

Houston - Hitchens - Ragland

Such a move would depend on Ragland handling the OLB position. Personally I like 3-4 more as it's more aggressive and we need one more true 3-4 OLB and a solid NT to make it work.

We would get butchered with is lineup.. hitchens fits the will way better than rags, and although when we did line up in a 4-3 this last year that is where Houston lined up I can already hear the droves of pissed off fans about dropping 50 in coverage.. also jones would be a good 3 tech, but not an every down 1 tech.. bailey isn't suited for 1 or 3, n actually lined up as one of the ends when we lined up in a 4-3 front.. you think we have holes now

Terez A. PaylorVerified account @TerezPaylor

FollowingFollowing @TerezPaylor

More

Brett Veach's plan continues as Chiefs reload w/a younger core. Xavier Williams (26), Sammy Watkins (24) & Anthony Hitchens (25) all fit. Young team could have growing pains in but the core will be a year older in '19 PLUS they'll have around 16 picks to supplement roster by then

Archived