Mike Kafka already a major player within the coaching staff?

Reid was full of praise for him during the press conference today...

“[We] definitely knew that Matt Nagy was going to be out the door as a coach,” Reid said, “so the Denver game allowed me to work with Mike Kafka and see how he’s progressed and work with Patrick.”

“Mike Kafka spent a lot of time [on Week 17] while everyone else was working on the playoff game.”

While Reid did take a few moments to mention how he’s looking forward to offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy in a leadership position, Kafka received a bit more spotlight.

This concerns me tbh. Because like I said, word on the street is this guy could be "the next Mcvay". He's just 30 years old right now and Is already the QB coach and working on the gameplan for games. There's no question he's gonna be an OC sooner, rather than later so I hope we can hide this guy for as long as possible because If Reid fails In the next year or two I think we may already have a replacement under our nose. The last thing we want to do is repeat the Pederson situation again.

If he's good enough I'm guessing the OC job and later on a HC gig will be in line for him but he needs to show his skills at every level to move up. If he turns out to be a great coach I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Reid, the timing seems about right.

Reid was full of praise for him during the press conference today...

“[We] definitely knew that [/size]Matt Nagy was going to be out the door as a coach,” Reid said, “so the Denver game allowed me to work with Mike Kafka and see how he’s progressed and work with Patrick.”[/size]

“Mike Kafka spent a lot of time [on Week 17] while everyone else was working on the playoff game.”[/size]

While Reid did take a few moments to mention how he’s looking forward to offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy in a leadership position, Kafka received a bit more spotlight.

This concerns me tbh. Because like I said, word on the street is this guy could be "the next Mcvay". He's just 30 years old right now and Is already the QB coach and working on the gameplan for games. There's no question he's gonna be an OC sooner, rather than later so I hope we can hide this guy for as long as possible because If Reid fails In the next year or two I think we may already have a replacement under our nose. The last thing we want to do is repeat the Pederson situation again.

What does this even mean?

"The last thing we want to do is repeat the Pederson situation."

Are you saying we dont want to watch our assistant coaches to get promotions? We dont want our coaches out here succeeeding in reaching their long term goals of being head coaches?

Or are you in that group that thinks we should have fired Reid and replaced him with a guy that had been an offensive coordinator here for 1 season and called plays for half a season after we just went 11-5 the year before?

Either way this doesnt make sense to me.

Are you saying we dont want to watch our assistant coaches to get promotions? We dont want our coaches out here succeeeding in reaching their long term goals of being head coaches?

Or are you in that group that thinks we should have fired Reid and replaced him with a guy that had been an offensive coordinator here for 1 season and called plays for half a season after we just went 11-5 the year before?

I'm saying we don't want talented guys walking out the door while our coach continues to choke In the playoffs. There comes a time where enough, will be enough. We lost Pederson and no I wasn't calling for him to replace Andy, that would have been ridiculous at that time. BUT!!, this guy is apparently a little special, and thus, I don't want us to have to look on like the skins fans are now and see another team enjoy the fruits of our labor. We need to make sure Kafka is comfortable here and knows he may be "the next in line" imo. Especially If Andy doesn't get it done within the next two years. 

I'm saying we don't want talented guys walking out the door while our coach continues to choke In the playoffs. There comes a time where enough, will be enough. We lost Pederson and no I wasn't calling for him to replace Andy, that would have been ridiculous at that time. BUT!!, this guy is apparently a little special, and thus, I don't want us to have to look on like the skins fans are now and see another team enjoy the fruits of our labor. We need to make sure Kafka is comfortable here and knows he may be "the next in line" imo. Especially If Andy doesn't get it done within the next two years.

Let's not get crazy. Andy is the most innovative offensive mind in the NFL. This guy has zero accumulated seasons as a full time coach.

At this point the clock is probably ticking on Reid as well. He has a good history of building competitive teams and training coaches but hasn't won anything to show for it. I'm guessing Reid has to win a SB before the contract extension for Mahomes otherwise they will look for a replacement in which case I'm not sure if one of Reid's guys would be willing to take over his duties.

Let's not get crazy. Andy is the most innovative offensive mind in the NFL. This guy has zero accumulated seasons as a full time coach.

That's why I said within the next two years. By that time he will probably be an OC and In high demand despite being only 32 :D . Hell, even If it's three years down the line, we just have to make sure we keep him In the system, that's all. 

That's why I said within the next two years. By that time he will probably be an OC and In high demand despite being only 32 :D . Hell, even If it's three years down the line, we just have to make sure we keep him In the system, that's all.

I wouldn't bet the mortgage on that.

This is a weird thread. Being a dumb ass that doesn’t appreciate the context.... This is a guy that just became an assistant coach last year. We are worried about someone stealing him before he takes over for Andy Ried. He has not even been a coordinator yet.

What am I missing? I can’t think of this as a tragic loss to the Chiefs future. Did he develop string theory or something? I would say Eric B. Is a much better candidate.

Maybe we let him coach for s full year and see if he gets promoted to coordinator. Then let’s see if he does well at that. Then we can worry about losing him.

It’s always good for a chuckle isn’t it?

This is a weird thread. Being a dumb ass that doesn’t appreciate the context.... This is a guy that just became an assistant coach last year. We are worried about someone stealing him before he takes over for Andy Ried. He has not even been a coordinator yet.

What am I missing? I can’t think of this as a tragic loss to the Chiefs future. Did he develop string theory or something? I would say Eric B. Is a much better candidate.

Maybe we let him coach for s full year and see if he gets promoted to coordinator. Then let’s see if he does well at that. Then we can worry about losing him.

Like I said, the word is THIS GUY IS VERY TALENTED, and he's already been promoted to QB coach and has devised game plans for the team despite only being 30 years old. Yes, he still has a ways to go, but IMO the writing Is on the wall. He's gonna be an OC for this team before long, and then we'll be on the clock as to how long we can keep him. There's a reason Reid is already talking the guy up, you just need to do the maths. 

Like I said, the word is THIS GUY IS VERY TALENTED, and he's already been promoted to QB coach and has devised game plans for the team despite only being 30 years old. Yes, he still has a ways to go, but IMO the writing Is on the wall. He's gonna be an OC for this team before long, and then we'll be on the clock as to how long we can keep him. There's a reason Reid is already talking the guy up, you just need to do the maths.

Lol

What word? Is that word "premature"? Cause otherwise I'm not buying it yet. Does the guy have promise? I would bet on it as Andy is very good at picking and training offensive coaches. But c'mon, why would you want Andy light while you have Andy?

What word? Is that word "premature"? Cause otherwise I'm not buying it yet. Does the guy have promise? I would bet on it as Andy is very good at picking and training offensive coaches. But c'mon, why would you want Andy light while you have Andy?

Firstly thanks for responding In a mature manner unlike some posters on this thread. Secondly Isn't Pederson "Andy Light"? And we all saw what happened last season......just saying :D

Firstly thanks for responding In a mature manner unlike some posters on this thread. Secondly Isn't Pederson "Andy Light"? And we all saw what happened last season......just saying :D .

Pederson is also 49 years old. He coached under Reid for 7 years and was coached by him for years as a player too. This guy is just starting and 30, so we can revisit it either in 10 years, Reid should be done about then or sooner if Reid fails. If Reid does fail though, would you not think others would see it as Kafka and others failed a bit too? Stick with the guy who has won us back to back divisions, 4 out of 5 years in the playoffs, 5 straight winning seasons etc...

Pederson is also 49 years old. He coached under Reid for 7 years and was coached by him for years as a player too. This guy is just starting and 30, so we can revisit it either in 10 years, Reid should be done about then or sooner if Reid fails. If Reid does fail though, would you not think others would see it as Kafka and others failed a bit too? Stick with the guy who has won us back to back divisions, 4 out of 5 years in the playoffs, 5 straight winning seasons etc...

Kafka was coached by Reid too In Philly. Then he went his own way and became an assistant In college football before he was brought to KC as "offensive quality control coach". And now he's been promoted to QB coach and is devising game plans. Nothing is certain of course, but all I'm saying is he is one to keep an eye on. Reid can't go on forever and it makes sense to try and keep this guy here for when we need to make a change, that's all I'm saying.

Kafka was coached by Reid too In Philly. Then he went his own way and became an assistant In college football before he was brought to KC as "offensive quality control coach". And now he's been promoted to QB coach and is devising game plans. Nothing is certain of course, but all I'm saying is he is one to keep an eye on. Reid can't go on forever and it makes sense to try and keep this guy here for when we need to make a change, that's all I'm saying.

Now now, he was a graduate assistant in college for 1 year at northwestern (2016). That is to a real coach as dishwasher is to sous chef. It's practically an internship.

Then he spent last year as our offensive quality control coach. So basically he got promoted to the salad station. Now he'll be working the grill this year.

That's a fast rise so he must be smart, but let's hold off on letting him plan the menu. He's done the planning for 1 game, and i would bet andy did a lot of the heavy lifting.

I think the only way he makes OC anytime soon would be a complete melt down by Bieniemy or him taking a head coaching job. Andy is not big on firing coordinators. Head coach I’d even a bigger jump. Some day probably. Next two or three years is doubtful in my opinion.

Archived