Off Season Under Way...Are The Chiefs a Better Team So Far?

Even without Peters the new additions plus expected health of Berry & Ford make a huge difference. Ad that to better QB potential and I think Chiefs are off to a good start. Other than Peters no critical player loses.

I Think D-line is #1 need.

I think Chiefs are a better team today than the team that finished the season. What say you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all rides on mahomes. With Alex, you knew what you were getting. with Berry and Fuller the secondary is better than it was last year, but without peters not as good as it could have been... d line is a hot mess, still need a free safety. Given Reid’s giddiness yesterday, I’d have to say we'll be better overall. But I’m a homer.

Agreed need dline. I can't expect much of the D if the line sucks. Guess that will depend how the draft plays out and how well they do dumpster diving in free agency.

I expect the offense to be as good as last year and better in the last half of the season.

Pass rush is the key, a good pash rush can mask a bad secondary but the opposite doesn’t hold true. Just look at the Titans playoff loss, having zombo on the other side was pointless and we made an average QB look like Brady making that comeback against us

True, but returning Ford should help that. No depth there unless Tanoh takes a HUGE step forward. Gotta believe we focus there on the draft. Also will be interesting to see what Dadi looks like at this point, and whether he can make the team (I’m taking the under on that, but there’s an opportunity).

True, but returning Ford should help that. No depth there unless Tanoh takes a HUGE step forward. Gotta believe we focus there on the draft. Also will be interesting to see what Dadi looks like at this point, and whether he can make the team (I’m taking the under on that, but there’s an opportunity

So do you think the team is better than the team that ended the season?

Yes. Ford can rush better than anyone else we had out there. We get Berry back. A full year of Ragland. Peters will be missed but I think Fuller does well in his spot and can tackle. Amerson is better than anyone we had on that side, can't get mkuch worse. Nelson is healthy and back for full year in the slot.

Offense we are better in skill positions

Conley is back, the rookies last year will begin Reid's second season in his syste. Also though Mahomes will make mistakes, I think as the year goes on he will be better and the offense will show it over a Smith led offense. If Watkins us our deep threat along with hill deep to kid. Kelce short to mid range and Hunt out if the back field....wow

I also believe we do not take a mid season 5 or 6 game slump either

It's not going to take long for opposing corners to start backing way up and safeties to start playing high zone. Kareem Hunt is going to kill some front 7's without support. It's one good thing about our OC. He won't let reid forget about the run game even with all the shiny toys.

It's not going to take long for opposing corners to start backing way up and safeties to start playing high zone. Kareem Hunt is going to kill some front 7's without support. It's one good thing about our OC. He won't let reid forget about the run game even with all the shiny toys.

Yep.

I’m with you. I don’t trust Morse at all.

Huh? I like morse. He's a hell of a center. If healthy. That's the only big question for him. Last year was the first time in college or pro's I've seen him injured that long. And it's all the same foot injury from the prior season. Andy says he's good to go right now.

Huh? I like morse. He's a hell of a center. If healthy. That's the only big question for him. Last year was the first time in college or pro's I've seen him injured that long. And it's all the same foot injury from the prior season. Andy says he's good to go right now.

Morse should be fine. His pass protection is good. I still see him more of a guard. He's not quite as stout as a center should be. 

Not today, but maybe by the latter part of the season.  For all the complaining about A. Smith, he would offer the Chiefs a better chance of winning the opening game than Mahomes.  Having Berry back is certainly a big plus but is offset by not having Peters.  If Ragland continues improving and if Watkins fits in and plays well and if Morse and Ehlinger get healthy and if the Chiefs find a DT and second CB, then they might be better when Mahomes gets some games under his belt.  Too many ifs to say they are better now.

Morse should be fine. His pass protection is good. I still see him more of a guard. He's not quite as stout as a center should be.

Andy asks his center to do a ton of pulling and blocking in space. Morse is terrific at both of those, and he also is good at helping the guards while blocking his man. He keeps very active when he doesn't have a guy to block as well (that's not as common as you'd think it would be). Andy wants athletic at center, stout is not that high on his list.

Fulton was stout and we had to change the whole blocking scheme last year because he couldn't execute it. That's not good.

If we could find both in a center that's great but good luck with that. Be prepared to spend a first round pick and most years there's not even one of those guys.

I know you do. We have had this debate. If he can stay healthy we’ll be fine. I just don’t think he will. And you know I liked Fulton run blocking.

I think we are better. Without question. The return of Berry, Ware and Ford alone make us better. Add Watkins and Hitchens and their is no question.

Peters for Fuller is a push in my book. I think both are really good.

I differ with most on Oline. Most seen to think Morse, LDT and Schwartz are really good. Fisher is average and all our problems are LG. I think Schwartz and Fish are slightly above average and everyone else is below. I think the numbers support that. If they can all stay healthy, maybe they can be pretty good. Some of our worst games came when they were all healthy.

We need to replace Logan badly. People beat up on him, but he was the leading tackler and by far the best run stuffer. He was under sized and not the dominant guy we needed, but we got to have something in the middle. I have read on here that NT is easy to find later in the draft, but I don’t believe that or they wouldn’t command so much money and be so scarce.

All in we are better. I would like pass rusher, NT, CB, LG in that order via draft or 6/1 cuts.

Archived