Off Season Under Way...Are The Chiefs a Better Team So Far?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are better.   Tyreke Hill and Kareem Hunt will only get better with a full offseason of workouts and study of the play book.  Adding Watkins is a huge upgrade on O and while this first year might be a slight downgrade from Alex initially the aggressiveness should offset the increase in TOs. 

On D we upgrade big time at ILB. We get Berry back at Safety so that is another upgrade and I imagine we will add another S in the draft.   We probably push at DB as Amerson is an upgrade over Mitchell/Gaines.   Nelson is healthy and will have another offseason to improve and adding Fuller helps offset Peters.    I look for Dadi and Tanoh to help with depth at OLB and Ford coming back healthy will also help.   So worse case is we are the same on D but we have a chance to take a step forward on D as well.

I think next year marks the beginning of something special in KC over the next 7-8 years.  Things are looking up!

I think we have a lot more potential to be better at the moment, but realistically about the same. Sign Watkins and get Ford, Morse, and Berry back, but will they be able to stay on the field? Fuller grades out well and tackles, but Peters was a turnover machine who has owned his side of the field in the past. No real proven depth at CB as Nelson is average. Hitchens is an upgrade, but still no LB depth. DL is a turd sandwich. Smith was a known quantity while PM we hope will be a complete stud. Like I said, I think we have more potential, but can't say we are better right now.

Draft will determine a lot. Personally, I hope we fill our secondary out and a fatty NT and LG this year. Then next year trade whatever picks we can and move up for a stud pass pusher in the first. I think year 2 will be key with PM.

The difference between a seasoned 12 year veteran QB playing at the peak of his game and a 22 year old with one career start probably means we aren’t as good initially no matter what we do. That said we are more talented overall offense including at QB.

Defense will also improve but I believe still has and likely will have too many holes to make a huge jump forward. One more legit offseason for that in my opinion.

In short we are going to be FAR younger and that likely comes with growing pains. But we also will field a more talented team with higher overall upside.

We still don't have a NT and Ford seems to be our 2nd best pass rusher on paper. There are not enough Safeties on the roster nor CBs. Too early to consider us any better. If we somehow can fill the holes with guys just as good we'll obviously be better but that's easier said than done. 

Realistically, I think we are building for 2019. Not that we won’t try to win this year, but a year for the O to gel with Mahomes and 2 off seasons to rebuild the D is more realistic. I mean a one year prove deal for Willk would have been sweet, but doesn’t prep us for 2019.

The age of players targeted makes me think we are going long term which I like. This year will be a lot of fun even if we can’t stop anyone. I think our O will be as good as DVs if we can get some line play. Defense is likely still a year away.

Realistically, I think we are building for 2019. Not that we won’t try to win this year, but a year for the O to gel with Mahomes and 2 off seasons to rebuild the D is more realistic. I mean a one year prove deal for Willk would have been sweet, but doesn’t prep us for 2019.

The age of players targeted makes me think we are going long term which I like. This year will be a lot of fun even if we can’t stop anyone. I think our O will be as good as DVs if we can get some line play. Defense is likely still a year away.

yep

Veach was given the job to dig themselves out of a hole that Dorsey put them in.

He made some aggressive moves, but at least seems determined to not live on the edge and having to kick the can towards next year.

They were a contender last season with a bottom ranked D and can't really get much worse. Because they didn't fill every single hole before April doesn't exactly mean looking ahead.

Veach was given the job to dig themselves out of a hole that Dorsey put them in.

He made some aggressive moves, but at least seems determined to not live on the edge and having to kick the can towards next year.

They were a contender last season with a bottom ranked D and can't really get much worse. Because they didn't fill every single hole before April doesn't exactly mean looking ahead.

Not sure if it was a dire situation though. Chiefs had cap relief with aging Hali and DJ this year as well as guys like Parker and such. Next year there will be more names in the mix like Fisher, Schwartz, Houston, Sorensen. Even though I expect only Sorensen to be released Chiefs still have the means to get cap relief if needed. 2017 was a terrible exception in that regard IMO. Don't know what the deal with Hali was as Chiefs just kept paying him but Dorsey didn't handle that situation correctly. 

The critical part is that we were only able to release DJ due to Veach trading for Ragland and that will still only be possible if we can replace either OT. I think Dorsey's two problems were finding replacements for aging guys (like Hali or DJ) and not getting any hometown discount in resignings. Even replacing Albert with the 1st overall pick took us over 2 years.

We might end up drafting a OT early this year to prepare for Fischer being cut. Curious to see what Veachs MO will be with replacing/upgrading position that can be cut. Hard for me to think he could do it this year though with so many holes on this team (DE, NT, OLB, S, CB, LG, TE). 7 positions of need and not all can be addressed in the draft or with a proven FA. Hope Veach can find some gems on the scrap heap like dorsey could.

Not sure if it was a dire situation though. Chiefs had cap relief with aging Hali and DJ this year as well as guys like Parker and such. Next year there will be more names in the mix like Fisher, Schwartz, Houston, Sorensen. Even though I expect only Sorensen to be released Chiefs still have the means to get cap relief if needed. 2017 was a terrible exception in that regard IMO. Don't know what the deal with Hali was as Chiefs just kept paying him but Dorsey didn't handle that situation correctly. 

The critical part is that we were only able to release DJ due to Veach trading for Ragland and that will still only be possible if we can replace either OT. I think Dorsey's two problems were finding replacements for aging guys (like Hali or DJ) and not getting any hometown discount in resignings. Even replacing Albert with the 1st overall pick took us over 2 years.

They had no choice but to get rid of their starting QB to get out of a cap deficit. It was a dire situation.

We might end up drafting a OT early this year to prepare for Fischer being cut. Curious to see what Veachs MO will be with replacing/upgrading position that can be cut. Hard for me to think he could do it this year though with so many holes on this team (DE, NT, OLB, S, CB, LG, TE). 7 positions of need and not all can be addressed in the draft or with a proven FA. Hope Veach can find some gems on the scrap heap like dorsey could.

The 6 million in CAP savings from cutting a very average Fisher after this season is certainly viable. 10 million in savings with little dead cap after 2019 makes that almost a certainty minus a new deal. So we could draft a guy who could play guard immediately or become our swing tackle depending on how they see Irving. He’s the key guy here as they clearly brought him in with idea he could potentially become a starter. Fact we are looking at so many tackles in the draft might indicate they don’t have much optimism there though. LT is a premium position and we need to handle it as such.

The 6 million in CAP savings from cutting a very average Fisher after this season is certainly viable. 10 million in savings with little dead cap after 2019 makes that almost a certainty minus a new deal. So we could draft a guy who could play guard immediately or become our swing tackle depending on how they see Irving. He’s the key guy here as they clearly brought him in with idea he could potentially become a starter. Fact we are looking at so many tackles in the draft might indicate they don’t have much optimism there though. LT is a premium position and we need to handle it as such.

The one thing I agreed with the poster formerly known as dbg is that our offensive line wasn't as bad is it was made out to be.  I think we will see that with Mahomes in there, he won't have that Alex panic and with his style where if he does break containment he's still looking downfield and can make throws on the run with his cannon which other defenses will have to account for.

The one thing I agreed with the poster formerly known as dbg is that our offensive line wasn't as bad is it was made out to be. I think we will see that with Mahomes in there, he won't have that Alex panic and with his style where if he does break containment he's still looking downfield and can make throws on the run with his cannon which other defenses will have to account for.

I’d disagree to the extent I think our line has proven itself unreliable and inconsistent. I agree though that Alex didn’t help with a lack of natural pocket presence. But on point is we are paying elite money to an average player. Fisher really needs to up his game to justify 8 percent of our total CAP going to him alone. All this said if they don’t like Irving’s development then we really need a swing tackle as well.

I’d disagree to the extent I think our line has proven itself unreliable and inconsistent. I agree though that Alex didn’t help with a lack of natural pocket presence. But on point is we are paying elite money to an average player. Fisher really needs to up his game to justify 8 percent of our total CAP going to him alone. And hence why I think part of the reason we traded for Irving and continue to look heavily at LT prospects. I’d prefer we focus on true needs but if you if you trust your draft board and understand we shouldn’t overpay anyone then we have to look hard at other options here as well.

agreed he is #7 on that list of top paid LT's . He will be an UFA in 2022 .. thats a long stretch.. He's better than we have had in a few years  I would say he's solid but not worth #7 money to be sure. I dont personally see LT's being as important as they used to be with the stud pass rushers often switching sides and more athletic QBs on the field..ask any RT  :P

The one thing I agreed with the poster formerly known as dbg is that our offensive line wasn't as bad is it was made out to be. I think we will see that with Mahomes in there, he won't have that Alex panic and with his style where if he does break containment he's still looking downfield and can make throws on the run with his cannon which other defenses will have to account for.

I am an Alex fan, but defensively you could keep things in front of you by largely playing zone with some extra attention to Hill on a go/skinny post and kelce across the middle. That allowed teams to creep up safeties and outnumber our blockers. With the addition of Watkins and mahomes arm, those safeties will have to stay back (way back) which will make our OL look much better, both in the run game and pass protection IMO. Where I'd expect PM to struggle this year is diagnosing blitzes and being tricked by coverages. Once he's got that down, however, how do you defend this offense?

I am an Alex fan, but defensively you could keep things in front of you by largely playing zone with some extra attention to Hill on a go/skinny post and kelce across the middle. That allowed teams to creep up safeties and outnumber our blockers. With the addition of Watkins and mahomes arm, those safeties will have to stay back (way back) which will make our OL look much better, both in the run game and pass protection IMO. Where I'd expect PM to struggle this year is diagnosing blitzes and being tricked by coverages. Once he's got that down, however, how do you defend this offense?

As well as Pat played vs Denver he still looked awkward to me in his drop backs and had a tendency to drift out of the pocket. But overall I think your spot on that coordinators will throw things at him he’s not familiar with and it will lead to mistakes. No substitute for experience in that regard though so it is what it is.

I do think Alex really struggled to feel pressure and make those subtle moves in the pocket to create more time. But there were also too many times he was ambushed by a pass rush before he could even get set in the pocket.

They had no choice but to get rid of their starting QB to get out of a cap deficit. It was a dire situation.

Smith was gone regardless of cap. You got a second year QB you spent two 1st on who has shown he is ready to take the next step and get his lumps out of the way. You are not going to sit him and waste a year. If you don’t trade Smith now, you get nothing for him.

Smith was gone regardless of cap. You got a second year QB you spent two 1st on who has shown he is ready to take the next step and get his lumps out of the way. You are not going to sit him and waste a year. If you don’t trade Smith now, you get nothing for him.

I think if Andy had not seen enough development from Mahomes, we wouldn't have traded Alex. 

Archived