In order to reach the SB, what rankings will our D and O need to be next season?

Last season I think our offense was ranked the sixth best right? And our defense was one of the worst. And yet we still made the playoffs with a game to spare and was one field goal away from winning the wildcard game too. 

So the question is this, what kind of rankings will our defense and offense need to be at In order to have a shot at the SB? If our offense is top three (which is a realistic target imo) what will our offense need to be? top ten? Top fifteen? And Is it realistic to think we could see a top fifteen defense next season In KC?

No relevance what-so-ever.  Rankings are for Fanatasy Football and talking heads who are no better at predicting than most on this board.

All KC had to do was score in the second half and maybe they end up in the SB. Players must make plays when they have the opportunity. Coaches need to go for it when they have the opportunity.

No relevance what-so-ever.  Rankings are for Fanatasy Football and talking heads who are no better at predicting than most on this board.

All KC had to do was score in the second half and maybe they end up in the SB. Players must make plays when they have the opportunity. Coaches need to go for it when they have the opportunity.

Well people keep going on about how our D was "the worst ranked" last season so clearly It does have relevance. The whole point is can a defence ranked around 18th get us to the SB If we have a top three offense? That's what I'm asking. Because such ranking are probably a realistic target.

Well people keep going on about how our D was "the worst ranked" last season so clearly It does have relevance. The whole point is can a defence ranked around 18th get us to the SB If we have a top three offense? That's what I'm asking. Because such ranking are probably a realistic target.

I think so. Our offense has to take a step up, which I think it will. I would prefer a top 15 defense, but right now it doesn’t seem likely. We could easily be the top offense if our line doesn’t stop us. My fear is Mahomes stands in like Smith didn’t and gets hurt.

Thanks. 

So the teams to look at are..

Saints 2009= D ranked 20th, O ranked 1st

Giants 2011= D ranked 25th, O ranked 9th

Colts 2006= D ranked 23rd, O ranked 2nd

Giants In 2007 also had a 17th ranked D and 14 ranked O

So what's clear is IF our offense Is as good as we all hope It is, then big things could happen even if our defense is just average.

Seems middle of pack D would work you if have an elite offense. The right hand side of that list is the most important... a franchise qb

With the guys we already have like Fuller, Berry, Ragland, Hitchens, Jones and Houston, surely a "middle of the pack D" Is the least we can expect? Add some more quality and I think we should be looking at top fifteen. 

I remember there was a year when the Chargers had the #1 ranked offense AND #1 rated defense...they did not go to the playoffs...

Their kicker sucked, their return team was terrible, their kicking teams gave up record like bad performance, and they turned the ball over like crazy(which really isn’t factored into “offensive rankings”

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember if they finished that season with those rankings, but I remember the commentators talking about it in a late season game sgainst the chiefs, the point is that rankings can be complete BS...

Rankings only matter in the regular season as most of the opponents are pointless when considering playoff performances. Overall Chiefs have to be very competitive in both areas and do better than who we get to face in the playoffs. Teams are generally built to beat a couple specific opponents.

I think we are fooling ourselves if the belief is "we go to the Super Bowl if we have a top ten offense and at least a (fill in the blank) defense". Plenty of teams (including past Chiefs teams) have qualified and still not made it. It takes a lot to get to a Super Bowl. Players need to step up and make plays in crunch time and the Chiefs legacy is for the most part they have not. Here's to hoping the future is brighter than the past.

I think we are fooling ourselves if the belief is "we go to the Super Bowl if we have a top ten offense and at least a (fill in the blank) defense". Plenty of teams (including past Chiefs teams) have qualified and still not made it. It takes a lot to get to a Super Bowl. Players need to step up and make plays in crunch time and the Chiefs legacy is for the most part they have not. Here's to hoping the future is brighter than the past.

Exactly this. See 2003 Chiefs. Best offense in the league.

He missed a lot of blocks too.

Exactly....

Say what you want about Reid and the play calling..When I go back and look at those games what I see is a lot of players simply not stepping up and making plays. Just one key stop on a third down could have been the difference between winning and losing. Or one more 1st down on the offensive side. It's maddening. 

Archived