Would it be crazy to still build on the offense this offseason?

When I think about it, On paper at least, we have a genuine claim to having the best offense In football. And yesterday I heard a guy on a podcast say, "What If Veach wants to stack up on the offense this year, and then build the defense next year?" And someone replied that it would be, "like the Vermeil years". But having thought about it, If we get a quality LG, A decent 2nd TE and perhaps a quality slot WR, then who on earth is gonna be able to stop this offense? 

Next year we're gonna have all of our picks In the draft, plus a whole bunch of money to spend as well In FA. Maybe that would be the best time to pour all of the resources into the defense after Pat has had his first year as a starter and will hopefully be over any growing pains.

Lastly, we played most of last season without Berry and Ford, So it's gonna be like having two new players coming into the defense. 

So If I were Veach, I'd seriously think about finishing off the offense this season whilst still adding as much pieces to the defense as I can. Some say we should draft all defense and I understand why they'd say that but I just think we could really put the final pieces in place where our offense Is concerned so why not go for it? We've seen with the stats that sides who have had a top two rated offense, and a defense rated 20th have gone on to win the Superbowl, so nothing is impossible yall.

Unless a stud guard falls, they need to go primarily with defense.

As far as guard goes, I honestly think that one of Hernandez, Wynn or Smith will be there for us In the second round. I also have a strong feeling they will go for a TE and WR too. With defense I see them most certainly getting a CB and then they will look to squeeze two more defensive players. Probably OLB and S. 

If a team is to focus on a single side of the ball the right one is always the defense, but the best way to go is to fix as many holes as possible with the chances available. Just pick BPA in a position of need and we could start contending right away.

I have no issue with grabbing a LG, but don't see the value in loading up on offensive skill positions. We have a rookie QB who's played 1 game in the NFL, we don't know what we have yet. He could be great or a pick machine with horrible foot work. What we do know for sure is we have huge holes on D that need addressed. We absolutely need a 2nd safety and CB and a ton of depth in those positions as well as OLB and NT. The team needs a good D to keep us in the game when PM struggles. I think we will quickly realize how much we took AS ball security skills for granted.

Thus draft BPA, but it needs to focus on defense because they will need time to grow into the system this year while we have a highly veteran offensive side of the ball. If PM sucks, we will really need a D to keep us relevant.

I have no issue with grabbing a LG, but don't see the value in loading up on offensive skill positions. We have a rookie QB who's played 1 game in the NFL, we don't know what we have yet. He could be great or a pick machine with horrible foot work. What we do know for sure is we have huge holes on D that need addressed. We absolutely need a 2nd safety and CB and a ton of depth in those positions as well as OLB and NT. The team needs a good D to keep us in the game when PM struggles. I think we will quickly realize how much we took AS ball security skills for granted.

Thus draft BPA, but it needs to focus on defense because they will need time to grow into the system this year while we have a highly veteran offensive side of the ball. If PM sucks, we will really need a D to keep us relevant.

The question is do we have to spend all the marbles on defense? That's what I'm asking. We've got eight picks In this draft, Why not spend three of them on the offense to really sure that side up, and then spend the rest on defense? Because as much as we need players on the defense, I'd argue we desperately need a 2nd TE too. Next season's defense should be vastly improved even If we only add three players to it simply because of the return of Berry and Ford. 

If a team is to focus on a single side of the ball the right one is always the defense, but the best way to go is to fix as many holes as possible with the chances available. Just pick BPA in a position of need and we could start contending right away.

Packers did this one draft recently. Their first 5 picks were defense and they still sucked. They have done a lot of defensive picks lately the first 2 or 3 rounds and can still not get a good one fielded. Go bpa and if the guy falls to us is on the offense then pick him. Then after the draft wait for cuts etc.

Packers did this one draft recently. Their first 5 picks were defense and they still sucked. They have done a lot of defensive picks lately the first 2 or 3 rounds and can still not get a good one fielded. Go bpa and if the guy falls to us is on the offense then pick him. Then after the draft wait for cuts etc.

Their problem was primarily lack of Rodgers. They have a culture of developing QBs but I think showed the NFL importance of having a reliable backup. Eagles had a decent backup and won the SB, Packers had nothing and collapsed.

That's why I prefer BPA in a position of need early on and then simply BPA as rotation. Injuries are risks that coaching needs to take care of but I don't think it helps a team to draft rotational guys in case of injuries when they need immediate starters in some positions.

Their problem was primarily lack of Rodgers. They have a culture of developing QBs but I think showed the NFL importance of having a reliable backup. Eagles had a decent backup and won the SB, Packers had nothing and collapsed.

That's why I prefer BPA in a position of need early on and then simply BPA as rotation. Injuries are risks that coaching needs to take care of but I don't think it helps a team to draft rotational guys in case of injuries when they need immediate starters in some positions.

Rodgers was there for the year after they drafted for defense. They still lack the defense in a lot of ways and still are searching. Look at their draft history and you will see many top picks on the defensive side with most not working out for the pick they were drafted at.

Rodgers was there for the year after they drafted for defense. They still lack the defense in a lot of ways and still are searching. Look at their draft history and you will see many top picks on the defensive side with most not working out for the pick they were drafted at.

That's mostly bad drafting. Reminds me of our defensive picks of the last decade. Packers tend to get more production out of their 2nd and 3rd day picks than expected while missing out on many 1st round guys. The same is true for Seahawks as well and people around here (Seattle) are more comfortable trading away the 1st rather than picking someone.

In that sense we are also missing out on many 1st round picks. Berry and Peters might be the best guys of late with Poe considerably close to that duo. I think the thing with offense is that non-QB players don't generally lose games with mistakes and have more chance to bounce back so they are not as big of busts as defensive ones when things don't work out. 

BPA at a position of need is always the right answer. And if you have a guy rated significantly higher than others you take him regardless of position, within reason of course. No fucking kickers.

But a long snapper is ok.

Let's be honest, there's not a single area of our team that makes one say, "nope, we are completely set and solid there." We lack solid depth everywhere right now as well as a few starters. BPA all the way

I think WR is set. IMO

Archived