Chiefs Visiting With Kendall Wright

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are never going to have a juggernaut on both sides of the ball, this offense could be up there with the 2003 chiefs offense but the good news is the defense even as it stands now is WAY better than the 2003 chiefs defense, especially if we do continue to add young talent to it

Where’s the pass rush coming from? Secondary hasn’t proven anything with these changes. We need defensive help and depth is the bottom line. How is this concept so disagreeable?

While we’ve got a nice core to build around, we need to hammer away at building youth and speed on this unit through the next two drafts. With three picks in the top 50-60 next year, that’s probably unfortunately what we will have to wait for to see significant help. But Hitchens, Ragland and Fuller are a nice start.

getting Ford and Berry back will be a huge help to the defense since they missed all of last year.  Does it solve all the problems?  No, but with those 2 healthy they're still ahead of where they were last year.

Don't forget the Chiefs got a pretty good CB back in the Smith trade so losing Peters and getting Fuller is almost a wash.

Maybe with Berry back, Houston will be dropping less often and get back to pressuring the passer.  Also, it will be interesting to see if KPas will earn a role after another off season under his belt.  If the Chiefs can replace Logan, they have a chance to be a little better this year on defense.

you are never going to have a juggernaut on both sides of the ball, this offense could be up there with the 2003 chiefs offense but the good news is the defense even as it stands now is WAY better than the 2003 chiefs defense, especially if we do continue to add young talent to it

This notion some people have that we are headed towards another Vermeil era is ridiculous. Vermeil was out there signing any 30 something veteran he could to patchwork a core defense which had almost no real talent. Meanwhile Veach is getting rid of any declining defensive player on the roster. We may have to replace as many as six starters and its not going to happen overnight. We had a really young offense at QB, WR and RB and free agency sprinkled in to compliment these stud players makes sense. On the other side we are largely going to need to draft the new core and thats fine. I think its the plan. But let's not act like we aren't focused on defense just because we signed a high profile WR and are looking at some backup types. 

you said it was a shell. I said it was the same with some upgrades already and the draft to come still.

Pass rush comes from Houston, Ford, Jones. You expect Kpass to take a step up and Dadi to show something.

Don't be so finicky and complain to complain

Okay sir.

This notion some people have that we are headed towards another Vermeil era is ridiculous. Vermeil was out there signing any 30 something veteran he could to patchwork a core defense which had almost no real talent. Meanwhile Veach is getting rid of Veany declining defensive player on the roster. We may have to replace as many as six starters and its not going to happen overnight. We had a really young offense at QB, WR and RB and free agency sprinkled in to compliment these stud players makes sense. On the other side we are largely going to need to draft the new core and thats fine. I think its the plan. But let's not act like we aren't focused on defense just because we signed a high profile WR and are looking at some backup types. 

I would suggest a review of that Defensive Roster.. then do the math  on their Birthdays you'll also see that  other than John Browning, Jerome Woods and Dexter McCleon  the starters were all under 30 and there was certainly talent our Defensive coaching I'd argue was the real issue...Where as most of our O-Line was 30 or more and I would be remiss to mention the names of Priest Holmes. T-rich and Eddie Kennison..and last but not least 33 yo Trent Green & 43 YO Morten Anderson

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2003_roster.htm

Maybe with Berry back, Houston will be dropping less often and get back to pressuring the passer.  Also, it will be interesting to see if KPas will earn a role after another off season under his belt.  If the Chiefs can replace Logan, they have a chance to be a little better this year on defense.

I think we will be a little better than last year and finally have two high end inside linebackers to help with tackling issues which have plagued us the past few years. If Ford can generate the pass rush he did in 2016, it will almost certainly allow more opportunity for Houston. Secondary is a major work in progress, but Fuller and Berry seem better than Peters and Parker. And a healthy Nelson all season does help. The rest is about a wash. Dline isn't going to be much improved and will likely take a few years to rebuild the right way. In short I'd agree with you that we will be a little better on defense. Just not nearly enough. 

I would suggest a review of that Defensive Roster.. then do the math  on their Birthdays you'll also see that  other than John Browning, Jerome Woods and Dexter McCleon  the starters were all under 30 and there was certainly talent our Defensive coaching I'd argue was the real issue...Where as most of our O-Line was 30 or more and I would be remiss to mention the names of Priest Holmes. T-rich and Eddie Kennison..and last but not least 33 yo Trent Green & 43 YO Morten Anderson

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2003_roster.htm

Let me rephrase then. The Vermeil era was littered with signing under performing, declining defensive players in their late 20s, early 30s.  Sammy Knight, Pat Surtain, Shaun Barber, Lionel Dalton, Dexter McCleon, Vonnie Holliday, Dewayne Washington, Marvcus Patton and Lewis Bush all qualify. 

DV came here to prove he was the architect of the greatest show on turf and did just that with a bunch of aging veterans. That era is so fondly remembered but accomplished so little because they couldn't develop a defense around the largely overpaid busts mentioned above. If we are trying to build a defense like that, I'd be worried. Especially if supplemented by early draft picks like Ryan Sims. And if you know the story behind the laughable reasons we drafted that guy, it only adds to the intrigue. 

Let me rephrase then. The Vermeil era was littered with signing under performing, declining defensive players in their late 20s, early 30s.  Sammy Knight, Pat Surtain, Shaun Barber, Lionel Dalton, Dexter McCleon, Vonnie Holliday, Dewayne Washington, Marvcus Patton and Lewis Bush all qualify. 

DV came here to prove he was the architect of the greatest show on turf and did just that with a bunch of aging veterans. That era is so fondly remembered but accomplished so little because they couldn't develop a defense around the largely overpaid busts mentioned above. If we are trying to build a defense like that, I'd be worried. Especially if supplemented by early draft picks like Ryan Sims. And if you know the story behind the laughable reasons we drafted that guy, it only adds to the intrigue. 

yea the definition of incompetence 

Sign him up.

With are going Texas tech across the board.

We might trade Kareem hunt for another wr.

I like the moves, I really do, but I’m scared shitless that Reid is going to be too pass happy and Hunt is going to have 700 yards rushing for the entire season. Having weapons is a good thing, but Reid’s past history worries me. I’m concerned Hunt is going to be a 10 carry, 3 catch guy in most games.

I like the moves, I really do, but I’m scared shitless that Reid is going to be too pass happy and Hunt is going to have 700 yards rushing for the entire season. Having weapons is a good thing, but Reid’s past history worries me. I’m concerned Hunt is going to be a 10 carry, 3 catch guy in most games.

Yep.

The cornerstone of an Andy Reid offense is usually the RB. Yes he absolutely gets too cute with the play calling, but likewise he knows how to get huge production from his RBs. And don’t forget our new OC is a running back. Signing Damian Williams is another sign it’s not going to be a forgotten position.

The cornerstone of an Andy Reid offense is usually the RB. Yes he absolutely gets too cute with the play calling, but likewise he knows how to get huge production from his RBs. And don’t forget our new OC is a running back. Signing Damian Williams is another sign it’s not going to be a forgotten position.

Mike you know damn well that there has been halves, and even entire games where Reid has basically forgotten to call plays for his RB. He did it with Charles, he did it with Hunt. They collectively managed to do it during a playoff game last year with him, Childress, Bienemy, and Nagy all there involved. How does that happen? How does not one of these guys tap another one on the shoulder and say "hey...we have the fucking  league leader in rushing yards out there picking up blitzes". It's a valid concern on Moon's part.

Personally I think our offense is going to be so dynamic that it's gonna be a "pick your poison" type of deal, but I'm sure not going to be surprised when there are games in which a healthy Kareem Hunt gets 11 or 12 carries.

Mike you know damn well that there has been halves, and even entire games where Reid has basically forgotten to call plays for his RB. He did it with Charles, he did it with Hunt. They collectively managed to do it during a playoff game last year with him, Childress, Bienemy, and Nagy all there involved. How does that happen? How does not one of these guys tap another one on the shoulder and say "hey...we have the fucking league leader in rushing yards out there picking up blitzes". It's a valid concern on Moon's part.

Personally I think our offense is going to be so dynamic that it's gonna be a "pick your poison" type of deal, but I'm sure not going to be surprised when there are games in which a healthy Kareem Hunt gets 11 or 12 carries.

As I said situationally Andy can get too cute on a small scale. But the overall production of his RBs speaks for itself. He had a rookie LEAD the NFL in rushing last season for goodness sakes. Likewise Jamaal had the most productive season of his career with Andy and his red zone production absolutely exploded in Andy’s offense. My point is RBs play a huge role and have huge production in Andy’s offenses. That will absolutely continue this year with a healthy Hunt. Does Andy need to stay more patient with running game at times. Absolutely. But overall he’s one of the best in the business at utilizing his RBs.

Archived