Would you be comfortable with Conley playing slot?

Was listening to the locked on Chiefs podcast last night and the guys were adamant that "Conley can play In the slot" and how we don't nee Kendall Wright? They also said "Conley is the second fastest WR On the roster" and how he knows the playbook so would have an advantage over someone new coming In. Oh, and they suggested that IF Wright does sign, then it would be a sign that Robinson is leaving!!. 

Personally, I totally disagree with them. Conley is no slot guy as he doesn't have that sudden quickness, or elusiveness to do damage over short distances imo. He's played wide for most of his football career for a reason. The fact is the guy may have been neglected by Smith quite a bit, but he still done nothing remarkable with the ball even when he was targeted imo. For me the four catches and TD that Robinson got In that last drive before the half against the Titans was a better passage of play than anything Conley has done since he's been here. And thus, If anyone should be feeling the heat for their place, then it's him. 

I personally want to see a proper slot WR brought In either in FA or the draft, so that everyone knows their positions and there will be no question marks. The last thing we need is for Conley to play slot and mess plays up just because he's not used to the position. That's why I fully understand why the Chiefs are interested In an experience slot guy like Wright, because he'll know exactly where to be and has experience of playing with a young QB having did it last season with Trubisky.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bigger guys at slot have been tried and worked before. I wouldn't mind giving Mahomes yet another big target in the middle. He has a great reach that would essentially make him a TE-type guy and smaller shifty guys cannot easily defend him in there. Also Conley is our best blocker by far and having him in the slot could boost the run game as defenses adjust to Hunt.

I remember Bowe playing some slot with Cassel in 2010 and looking good at that, we could see a similar performance from Conley. 

Bigger guys at slot have been tried and worked before. I wouldn't mind giving Mahomes yet another big target in the middle. He has a great reach that would essentially make him a TE-type guy and smaller shifty guys cannot easily defend him in there. Also Conley is our best blocker by far and having him in the slot could boost the run game as defenses adjust to Hunt.

I remember Bowe playing some slot with Cassel in 2010 and looking good at that, we could see a similar performance from Conley. 

Is it wise having someone who will pretty mucn have to learn the job when we've got a young QB throwing the ball? And tbh I personally think Robinson would suit the position better because he's quick, elusive and faster over short distances. 

Is it wise having someone who will pretty mucn have to learn the job when we've got a young QB throwing the ball? And tbh I personally think Robinson would suit the position better because he's quick, elusive and faster over short distances. 

Not sure if Robinson is up to the challenge. He was good and bad at times over the course of the season so a rotational role might suit him better. Conley has been decent in routes and physically better so I wouldn't mind him getting the nod at slot. I doubt he would be getting all the snaps though. An ideal scenario IMO is having guys move around to create mismatches throughout the game. Conley has the edge over others in 50-50 throws so he'll be used outside as well as well as Watkins providing some sure hands in the middle at times, etc. This is the last year of Conley's contract and Robinson might be ready to start by the end of the year after getting an extended workload as the #4 guy. 

Not sure if Robinson is up to the challenge. He was good and bad at times over the course of the season so a rotational role might suit him better. Conley has been decent in routes and physically better so I wouldn't mind him getting the nod at slot. I doubt he would be getting all the snaps though. An ideal scenario IMO is having guys move around to create mismatches throughout the game. Conley has the edge over others in 50-50 throws so he'll be used outside as well as well as Watkins providing some sure hands in the middle at times, etc. This is the last year of Conley's contract and Robinson might be ready to start by the end of the year after getting an extended workload as the #4 guy. 

Conley has been In the league for three years and his stats are 21 starts, 904 yards with only one TD. Is this really the guy we should be counting on to play the slot? REALLY? I just don't see what he brings to the table tbh. At least with Robinson he gets consistent separation, can pull off the odd great catch and Is elusive enough to beat tackles. Conley just isn't a TD threat imo and with the way our offense is set-up for next season we're gonna need our slot guy to do a lot of work because teams will try their best to shut down Hill, Watkins and Kelce.

I was kinda impressed with Robinson when he actually got the chance to play. He apparently has a chemistry with Mahomes from working together in camp. I would like to give him a shot before We continue to bring in more WR's. I think the team is good at that position now. I would like to see Conley play with Mahomes as QB. Give him that chance to see. 

Why not Hill in the slot? Slots are typically that speedy dude...He works well in space...or is he better on the outside? Just wondering..I think either way, we will have a lot of 3 WR's sets come game day.

Conley has been In the league for three years and his stats are 21 starts, 904 yards with only one TD. Is this really the guy we should be counting on to play the slot? REALLY? I just don't see what he brings to the table tbh. At least with Robinson he gets consistent separation, can pull off the odd great catch and Is elusive enough to beat tackles. Conley just isn't a TD threat imo and with the way our offense is set-up for next season we're gonna need our slot guy to do a lot of work because teams will try their best to shut down Hill, Watkins and Kelce.

Conley's biggest asset is his blocking which no other WR on our roster brings to the table. I'm not sure if that makes him a decent slot or outside candidate but they'll definitely use him somewhere. Hill hasn't been good enough in route running to handle the slot and Watkins is the obvious choice but he has too big of a paycheck to just play in the middle instead of getting double teams outside. 

IMO Conley with his size and blocking advantage will get the bigger payload among our WRs with the exception of Hill and Watkins but he won't be there for all the snaps. We don't know how he'll come back from the injury and might end up being a non-factor depending on his injury status so too early to tell but assuming he comes back 100% his size and blocking will be too good to pass up for the coaching staff. 

I was kinda impressed with Robinson when he actually got the chance to play. He apparently has a chemistry with Mahomes from working together in camp. I would like to give him a shot before We continue to bring in more WR's. I think the team is good at that position now. I would like to see Conley play with Mahomes as QB. Give him that chance to see. 

Why not Hill in the slot? Slots are typically that speedy dude...He works well in space...or is he better on the outside? Just wondering..I think either way, we will have a lot of 3 WR's sets come game day.

I think DAT's contract with no guarantees gives Robinson a chance to earn the spot. He looked good when getting separation and just needs some consistency. 

Hill hasn't been good in running routes, he has great speed which defenders fail to keep up but other than that he's still a work in progress. If he progresses well enough I could see him in the slot but not sure if that'll be the case.

Conley got in by having more experience I'd say . Robinson has way more talent than him Imo.

Yeah, that's why the coaches played Conley instead of Robinson, they wanted to keep the more talented guy out of the game

I guess Smith is more talented than Mahomes then, right? :D

OOOPS. 

Yes, for the year they played together, but I thought the conversation was about Conley versus Robinson, can't you come up with any facts for the basis of your opinion (which is wrong by the way)

You do realize that Conley started eleven games in 2016 and Robinson zero, and Conley started all five games he played in 2017 before his injury, Robinson did not start a game until after the injury, those are the facts, see what i mean?

Yes, for the year they played together, but I thought the conversation was about Conley versus Robinson, can't you come up with any facts for the basis of your opinion (which is wrong by the way)

You do realize that Conley started eleven games in 2016 and Robinson zero, and Conley started all five games he played in 2017 before his injury, Robinson did not start a game until after the injury, those are the facts, see what i mean?

Do you know what "talent" means? Because I'm beginning to wonder. "Experience" can sometimes trump "talent" because though one guy can be more talented, the more experienced one may make less mistakes and know the playbook better. And that was the case In both the Mahomes/Smith situation, and the Robinson/Conley situation IMO. 

Do you know what "talent" means? Because I'm beginning to wonder. "Experience" can sometimes trump "talent" because though one guy can be more talented, the more experienced one may make less mistakes and know the playbook better. And that was the case In both the Mahomes/Smith situation, and the Robinson/Conley situation IMO. 

Listen, it's been really nice chatting with you, but I've got a brick wall right next to me and i don't have to type and it does not spew nonsense back to me.  You have NO idea how much talent either Mahomes or Robinson has, Mahomes has barely played and Robinson was second choice made by those who evaluate talent in the NFL as a profession, have a nice day

Listen, it's been really nice chatting with you, but I've got a brick wall right next to me and i don't have to type and it does not spew nonsense back to me.  You have NO idea how much talent either Mahomes or Robinson has, Mahomes has barely played and Robinson was second choice made by those who evaluate talent in the NFL as a profession, have a nice day

Yep, Just like I thought, you don't know the difference between talent and experience. So no point debating.

Deuces!!!

Yep, Just like I thought, you don't know the difference between talent and experience. So no point debating.

Deuces!!!

Wow, you really crushed me with your factual debate technique and superior intelligence, congratulations! 

Archived