Just a reminder of what’s coming

https://twitter.com/aroundthenfl/status/978826935760384001?s=21

I have never seen Andy this excited before. You’ve got that sense ever since his press conference with the kid 2 weeks ago. He looks like a 12 year old kid who found his dad’s playboy for the first time.

I’ll be honest with you guys: I was there. I was at the Titans game. I saw this guy use his arm to do things I’ve only seen guys like Rodgers do on TV.

This kid is going to change everything. He’s going to give us something we’ve literally never experienced. One of my best friends from work is a huge Packer fan (goes to Lambeau for a game every year) and he was with me at that game. Told me point blank that that was what it was like watching Aaron Rodgers his first year starting.

This is a new era gentlemen. It’s going to be fun!

What is nice is Mahomes is from a professional family but not a superstar family. He seems to know and understands being a pro, not overwhelmed by the bright lights you might say. And since his dad wasn't a superstar he doesn't seem to feel he is owed anything based on his name.

One last thing, the weight of the city and organization is not on his shouldes like so many young players when they go to shit holes like Cleveland and Cincinnati or dire need high profile markets like NY, SD or LA.

I know it doesn't matter to some, but I love how respectful and receptive he was to learning from Alex Smith as a starter. You knew he wanted to play and believed he could - that didn't leave - but you heard nothing in public or behind closed doors (leaked) that challenged the coaches. Even during the losing streak. He learned, stayed ready, and performed.

Not that it matters, as ALL football players want to play and replace the current starter, but Kaepernick was posting how he was living in a world where everyone expects you to settle for second. It's true, but I appreciated the lack of comments like this. Now, it's Mahomes turn and I fully expect him to handle it professionally, make no comparisons himself, etc.

I know it doesn't matter to some, but I love how respectful and receptive he was to learning from Alex Smith as a starter. You knew he wanted to play and believed he could - that didn't leave - but you heard nothing in public or behind closed doors (leaked) that challenged the coaches. He learned, stayed ready, and performed.

Not that it matters, as ALL football players want to play and replace the current starter, but Kaepernick was posting how he was living in a world where everyone expects you to settle for second. It's true, but I appreciated the lack of comments like this. Now, it's Mahomes turn and I fully expect him to handle it professionally, make no comparisons himself, etc.

It’s a good point. Would have been easy for Pat to stand out there and flash his superior arm and just let ego get in the way of invaluable learning experience he got from Alex.

Clearly that’s not at all what happened. Testament to Alex, Andy and Pat for that matter really.

Archived