Chiefs Left Guard situation.

.https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/04/01/kansas-city-chiefs-stability-search-left-guard-offensive-line/

The Kansas City Chiefs search for stability at left guard With Parker Ehinger and Bryan Witzmann vying for a starting spot, the Chiefs face questions at the left guard spot.

The Kansas City Chiefs seemed to have stability across the entire line just two years ago. Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz were the bookends at tackle. Mitch Morse was entrenched as the starting center. Parker Ehinger and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif were young starting guards who were already holding their own..

That season, Ehinger had a fantastic beginning for a rookie, playing 229 snaps and grading well against the run, per PFF. However, in week 8 against the Colts, Ehinger tore his ACL and hasn’t been the same since—or at least as his ability to get back on the field has changed.

In 2017, the Chiefs had to deal with the effects of the injury to their starting left guard, as well as the injury to Mitch Morse for much of the season. Their solution to this problem was sliding Zach Fulton in at center from left guard, and allowing Bryan Witzmann to take over as the starter at left guard.

This switch was a part of why the Chiefs struggled mid-season. The starting group of Fisher, Witzmann, Fulton, Duvernay-Tardif, and Schwartz was solid at times, but were atrocious in the run game for much of the season. While they averaged 5.16 yards on outside zone plays, they only averaged 2.93 yards on inside zone plays, good for last in the league.

An offensive line has to have chemistry not only with each other, but the entire rest of the offense. It takes time to develop that kind of a bond, which is why the Chiefs need stability. Left guard is the one position that the Chiefs need to find stability in. While Parker Ehinger is healthy and waiting, it could be smart to look at other options.

Here are a few directions that the Chiefs could go to fill the void.

In-House Options

The first route that the Chiefs could go would just be to test out what they already have. After the early signings of the offseason, the Chiefs are a bit tied up in terms of cap space. The smartest move for the Chiefs would just be to hang on to what they have in order to use their remaining cap space in other areas of need, while still leaving room for their draft picks.

Bryan Witzmann was the starter at left guard this past season. While he was by no means the Chiefs’ best offensive lineman, he was a body that filled the position. In terms of financials, Witzmann is only $1,300,000 against the cap, according to Over the Cap, so he comes relatively cheap. One good thing with keeping Witzmann in at guard is that he knows the offense, and has chemistry with the other linemen.

Another direction they could go in is giving Parker Ehinger another shot at the starting job. In 2016, Ehinger took snaps at the left guard spot and played extremely well for a 4th round rookie, especially in the run. He needs to work on pass protection, especially holding up against interior linemen that are 50 pounds heavier than him. But at 6’7″ and 290 pounds Ehinger can develop into a solid guard for the Chiefs.

Free Agents

Brett Veach may not be done cutting deals this offseason. While the Chiefs only have $7+ million left to work with, there are still viable offensive linemen on the market that could come cheap.

Free agent guard Luke Joeckel might be someone to look at. The number 2 overall pick in 2013 (right after the Chiefs selected Eric Fisher at #1), Joeckel is a player that deserves to get more looks in free agency. Although he hasn’t played up to his first round pick status, he has fared better in recent years for Seattle and Jacksonville (played left guard). Joeckel’s strength has always been in the run game, with a good motor and lower body power.

Even in the passing game, he has shown improvement in recent years, digging in when being pressured with improved footwork. The only question with Joeckel is his injury history, as he has only one full season under his belt (2014). However, Joeckel would be a valuable signing as the Chiefs could sign him for a one year prove-it deal at low cost.

Another player to consider is veteran guard Jahri Evans. This would be a great signing for a relatively young offensive line, as Evans is an established veteran. Once considered one of the top guards in the NFL, he is still a viable starter in the league. Evans graded as a 71.7 overall with Green Bay in 2017, according to PFF, which was good for the 30th best guard in the league.

While Evans is accustomed to the right side, he is experienced enough that he could slot in on the left side. He has always been solid in the run, and especially in the passing game. Evans has quick feet, which helps with his timing in making a block, and he great awareness which allows him to eye what blocks need to be made down field. This is exactly what the Chiefs need with a quarterback like Mahomes. Evans may be another name to watch going forward.

Draftees

There are a number of talented offensive linemen in the draft this year that could come in and help the Chiefs right away.

One player that I believe the Chiefs will have done lots of research on is Isaiah Wynn from Georgia. He is a tad bit smaller than desired, which is why he is not considered a top prospect, but Wynn is a dependable run blocker who protected Jake Fromm well all season. Playing left tackle at Georgia, Wynn was able to cut off the rush and get in front of the opposing pass rusher. This will help him temendously in the NFL, especially after playing on a big stage like the National Championship Game. Wynn has the athletic ability to play guard or center, and his versatility is what makes him so attractive. The Chiefs could call Wynn’s name in the 2nd round of the draft in April.

If the Chiefs want to use their earlier pick on a defensive player (which they should), they may want to wait until a later round to bolster the offensive line. The guard class in this year’s draft is relatively deep, so Kansas City can afford to do this. One player who could fall into the Chiefs’ lap in the third round is Braden Smith of Auburn. Smith has ideal NFL size, length and weight for an offensive lineman, however he could use a bit more base strength to be able to hold back pass rushers. His athleticism will help him succeed, but he needs to be able to push into a defensive lineman in the pros. Smith is durable, as he started all 16 games in 2017, leading up to an All-SEC second-team selection.

The Chiefs will have options in free agency, the draft and even on their own roster to decide who to bring out on opening day along the offensive line. It’s time to find stability at the left guard position and have a consistently performing line.

It’s funny how things are cyclical or perhaps more likely your scouting department has clear positional strengths and weaknesses. For a long time we had an embarrassment of riches at center and guard with guys like Szott, Shields, Waters, Weigman and Grunhard. But at the same time we couldn’t find a RB to save our lives after Marcus Allen. Now we just can’t seem to miss on RBs but have really struggled to find guards.

Our three inside positions worry me. Some of our worst games were when all the starters got back. I have confidence in LDT and Morse if healthy. But they still need to up their play. What I have seen is second tier. Not sure I have any confidence in Witz, Ehinger or the guy we traded for last year. We seem to be taking what is there in FA. I hope we do the same in the draft BUT we can’t throw Mahomes to the wolves while he is developing. With that in mind, I would seriously look at line for our first pick. We are not fixing the D in this draft.

Whereas I agree we won't be able to fix the defense in one year...I still believe that is where the focus of the draft should be for KC. The Oline will be serviceable enough just as it was last year. We still had a 4,000 yard passer and a 1,300 yard rusher with what we had. You give LDT and Morse an offseason to get healthier and I think we will be okay. Doesn't mean we don't look at upgrading LG but I do believe Chiefs can still be a very good offense if they stand pat.

The defense however needs several major upgrades.

What about Erving at guard. He seems to not make it at left tackle but maybe he would do well at guard?

The staff talked about how he was misused at interior OL and was definitely a tackle. Still he might be the better option at LG so who knows but I'm guessing they will use him strictly at swing tackle. 

The staff talked about how he was misused at interior OL and was definitely a tackle. Still he might be the better option at LG so who knows but I'm guessing they will use him strictly at swing tackle.

Yes, from what I read his best play was at RT. I think he will be the swing tackle. Ehinger was tentative but the best we had seen at LG. I am concerned he couldn’t make his way back last season. Maybe he just wasn’t healthy yet.

I agree. We should not consider ourselves set by any means. We can’t have defenders draped all over Mahomes and putting shots on him. The Denver game was a good lesson in how to get the kid hurt. He is too special to waste like Indy did with Luck.

Ehinger healthy?   Situation will be improved...

w

Why has everyone given up on Ehinger?  Didn't he play pretty well until he got hurt in 2016 and last year was still not 100%.  Maybe he isn't the answer, but if he could start at the beginning of his rookie year, he should be better by now.  Not saying he is the answer, but the position isn't necessarily the disaster that so many are predicting.  If the Chiefs find value at LG in the draft, then grab him, but no need to reach just to fill a hole.

Why has everyone given up on Ehinger? Didn't he play pretty well until he got hurt in 2016 and last year was still not 100%. Maybe he isn't the answer, but if he could start at the beginning of his rookie year, he should be better by now. Not saying he is the answer, but the position isn't necessarily the disaster that so many are predicting. If the Chiefs find value at LG in the draft, then grab him, but no need to reach just to fill a hole.

He played really damn well as a rookie but you can't be out that long and people not question if he can do it again.

Gaines looked great in spurts but never was the same after his injury. Seeing is believing so i hope we see it. Be nice not to have to waste a pick on a guard.

We've waited decades to finally draft a QBOTF in the first round, the best thing we can do is pick up a solid LG in the 3rd. Let's protect this kid. Our D is at least another year away so using a 3rd on a LG isn't going to break it.

Last thing I want to see is PM go down because Witz and Parker are just ok available bodies.

Call me the optimist, but if Ehinger played well as a rookie, he should be able to play IF he is healthy now.

Not sure if he played well in general or well for a rookie. Guys like Gaines failed to return to their old self after the injury but that's not a general thing. Ehinger getting back to at least his rookie level would definitely give us something to be optimistic about.

Not sure if he played well in general or well for a rookie. Guys like Gaines failed to return to their old self after the injury but that's not a general thing. Ehinger getting back to at least his rookie level would definitely give us something to be optimistic about.

Very different situations, a lineman can return a lot easier than a DB or even LB/RB/WR. Usually a so called skill player has several aspects of their game that needs to return. Lineman normally don't have as many skillsets that need to be refined.

What's everyone's thoughts on bringing in Luke Joeckel as our new LG?  

I remember when fans killed KC for drafting FIsher over Joeckel and even if you still think Fisher has been a bust...Joeckel has been let go, demoted to LG for Seattle and now still a 26 year old 2nd overall Free Agent!

How great would it be to have Fisher at LT and Joeckel at LG! HAHAHA  I surprised it hasn't happened just so the NFL has a story to talk about(you know...all the conspiracy NFL is fixed types) 

Archived