2018 Season: Define Success?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think  2018 is considered a success if most of our Draft picks make a contribution, all of our FA's  work out as hoped. PM stays healthy and shows growth.. record is not important  as I expect a 1 step back before a 2 step forward/ 1 step back means more and better draft picks to fill the holes that  wont get filled this year.

its all about 2019/2020 to me

A lot of my expectations are tied to Pat Mahomes showing clear growth as a game manager as the season progresses and likewise flashing enough moments of brilliance to justify our optimism in him. No matter what our record, if he can do this, I will be happy with the season and expect Veach will continue to fix an incomplete defense in earnest next off season. That said, I see 8-10 wins.  

The key, as everyone else has mentions, is whether Mahomes shows that he deserves the optimism that came with his being drafted.  In addition, success will be making most games competitive and winning a fair share of them.  I don't think the Chiefs have to make the playoffs, but they can't be blown out repeatedly without fans losing interest.  If the Chiefs do as the Eagles did with Wentz, that would be a bonus. Seven to nine wins would be okay if Mahomes shows growth and leadership.

Mahomes and the defense are key. Though if the defense play a like last year it will not matter much and then they better get a new d coordinator. No more excuses for him unless there is 20 injuries on that side.

Oline plays together without injuries. Mahomes and Watson stay healthy. Let’s go even further, no major injuries to key players. We generate a pass rush. If those things happen I think we make the playoffs, but don’t need to to be a successful season IMO.

At least a playoff win, preferably more than one. No steps back, most in herehas blamed Alex for not getting to the SB. He's gone now so no excuses for not winning the division and winning a playoff game or two.

lol Alex was a 13 year vet.

At least a playoff win, preferably more than one. No steps back, most in herehas blamed Alex for not getting to the SB. He's gone now so no excuses for not winning the division and winning a playoff game or two.

I'm on board with this.  Success means they're getting better.  The bar is 10 wins.  I see no reason to expect less.

With the space cleared by moving Alex, the two big FA signings should have huge impacts in 2018 (if they're not  expected to, the moves don't make much sense).  As far as the D goes, the only true loss IMO is Peters.  It was tough watching Tamba and DJ walk, but those aren't practical losses (at least on the field).  Should be significantly improved up the middle with EB back and the two ILBs.  Obviously need some depth on the DL and at corner but that's no different than last year.  If Tanoh can set the damn edge, he can solidify the OLB rotation in a big way (if not, that was a wasted 2nd rounder!!).

Mahomes is obviously important, but it's not all on him.

lol Alex was a 13 year vet.

Wentz was a strong MVP candidate in year #2.  Not saying that's in store for Mahomes -- I know he's going to go through some growing pains -- but I expect him to handle himself well overall.

I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but I don't remember seeing Reid giddy like this.  He's usually pretty reserved, and the fact that he and Veach continue to raise expectations (plus the team's investments in the FA market) tells me they have high hopes for 2018.

I think  2018 is considered a success if most of our Draft picks make a contribution, all of our FA's  work out as hoped. PM stays healthy and shows growth.. record is not important  as I expect a 1 step back before a 2 step forward/ 1 step back means more and better draft picks to fill the holes that  wont get filled this year.

its all about 2019/2020 to me

Man, that is exactly the way I see it.

You might want to pump the brakes a little.

If they improve over the course of the seaaon, and not regress, I'll consider 2018 a success.

I think it depends on how much of this draft is dedicated to defense. If they draft a guard and second TE in the first 5 picks, I won't be mad. I'll just take it as an admission that our defense isnt going to be very good this year, and is going to need more than 1 offseason to turn back into a top 10 unit.

If they go defense with every pick rounds 2-4, to me it will show that they are very intent on balancing this roster, and have real plans for 2018 and not just 2019 and beyond.

I think Mahomes may cost this team a few games with poor decision making, but his upside will make it a pill we can swallow. I see 8-10 wins and our usual early playoff heartbreak.

2019 we will be loaded on both sides of the ball and back in good cap shape. Ready to start our reign.

Not the point, Mahomes is supposed to be the real deal and Smith was the scape goat. Listening to some in here Mahomes should have been starting last year and if that's the case there shouldn't be a drop off.

This is insanity. Mahomes is physically everything Alex is not, but Mahomes has one start under his belt and it was a meaningless game. The argument for Mahomes to start last year was to get the learning curve started. Expecting a qb to go out and win two playoff games in his first season not holding a clipboard and in his second season overall is ridiculous. I get the feeling this post has less to do with Mahomes and the chiefs and more to do with how someone felt about the departed Alex.

Success = SB win.

I wouldn't mind the Chiefs taking a huge step for SB in the next year with a great showing in 2018. Mahomes needs to adjust to the full time role so there could be some issues this year. However as the great football guru once said "you play to win the game". 

Not the point, Mahomes is supposed to be the real deal and Smith was the scape goat. Listening to some in here Mahomes should have been starting last year and if that's the case there shouldn't be a drop off.

No.

Alex wasn’t going to do anything he hasn’t done in the past. Maybe win a playoff game. Most likely not.

So why not start your future qb and let him get game exp. that’s what people were clamoring for.

You knew what you were getting from Alex.. almost but no cigar

This is insanity. Mahomes is physically everything Alex is not, but Mahomes has one start under his belt and it was a meaningless game. The argument for Mahomes to start last year was to get the learning curve started. Expecting a qb to go out and win two playoff games in his first season not holding a clipboard and in his second season overall is ridiculous. I get the feeling this post has less to do with Mahomes and the chiefs and more to do with how someone felt about the departed Alex.

Exactly. Great post

Very disingenuous. You know why they wanted mahomes to start. It's ok. I know you're not a fan of untested rookies til they prove it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised this year.

I think the Chiefs' offense can hit the ground running with Mahomes, but I worry the defense will be so bad they won't be able to win more than 10 games.

The draft could change my mind.

If the defense can improve, who knows how good this team could be. 

I think the Chiefs' offense can hit the ground running with Mahomes, but I worry the defense will be so bad they won't be able to win more than 10 games.

The draft could change my mind.

If the defense can improve, who knows how good this team could be.

The D being horrible in 2018 is a constant theme. Do we really think it will be worse than last year?

Hitchens for DJ is an upgrade

Berry back is an upgrade

Nelson/Amerson/?? for Nelson/Revis/T Mitch/Gaines is a push, maybe?

Fuller for Peters is a downgrade

Williams for Logan is a downgrade

Add in a full offseason for Ragland and Tanoh, I feel the upgrades significantly outweigh the downgrades... not enough for a top 10 defense, but certainly middle of the pack is possible.

And the team won 10 games (plus had multiple chances for game winning drives in the seven losses) with the 2017 d.

What am I missing?

The D being horrible in 2018 is a constant theme. Do we really think it will be worse than last year?

Hitchens for DJ is an upgrade

Berry back is an upgrade

Nelson/Amerson/?? for Nelson/Revis/T Mitch/Gaines is a push, maybe?

Fuller for Peters is a downgrade

Williams for Logan is a downgrade

Add in a full offseason for Ragland and Tanoh, I feel the upgrades significantly outweigh the downgrades... not enough for a top 10 defense, but certainly middle of the pack is possible.

And the team won 10 games (plus had multiple chances for game winning drives in the seven losses) with the 2017 d.

What am I missing?

Sutton is still here and if any of those perceived upgrades have problems or injuries then we are in for a long season.

Archived