2018 Season: Define Success?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if it's any consolation, 2018 off to a good start since we avoided drafting Foster in last years draft.

Yep. And the anti Mahomes people (all three of them) were almost all on board with Foster instead of a QB. That would have been a disaster!

A lot of my expectations are tied to Pat Mahomes showing clear growth as a game manager as the season progresses and likewise flashing enough moments of brilliance to justify our optimism in him. No matter what our record, if he can do this, I will be happy with the season and expect Veach will continue to fix an incomplete defense in earnest next off season. That said, I see 8-10 wins.  

I see closer to 10-12 wins if Mahomes stays healthy and Kelce doesn't get a concussion and retire.  There are just too many great weapons on offense.  And the defense will be improved.  The LB's will be much better, Berry will be back, maybe Ford.  With better LB's able to drop back in coverage, Houston may get a chance to rush the passer more often. 

But as is always true with any team, it comes down to injuries.

I see closer to 10-12 wins if Mahomes stays healthy and Kelce doesn't get a concussion and retire. There are just too many great weapons on offense. And the defense will be improved. The LB's will be much better, Berry will be back, maybe Ford. With better LB's able to drop back in coverage, Houston may get a chance to rush the passer more often.

But as is always true with any team, it comes down to injuries.

There’s really no depth at all on defense so we’ve got to keep all the key guys there relatively healthy.

Success for me is Mahomes showing he is a franchise QB, who gets better each game, while we fight for a playoff spot and hopefully a playoff win.

I’d also like to be marginally entertained. Past regular seasons may have been a success in a football sense, but they were often painful to watch. Alex’s greatest problem, as well as Andy’s play calling, was that it wasn’t entertaining 90% of the time. Football is about winning, but if it isn’t fun to watch while you do it, it takes a lot of joy out of it.

Prevent Defense does only one thing..Prevents you from winning. What you propose to do is much akin to our Vermiel/G-Rob years..we won games and it was entertaining till we lose 51 to 49

Defense wins Championships 

Don't entirely agree.  It depends on how much and how often you have more than a one score lead.  I think that will happen a lot.  Yes, Defense wins division championships but rarely the superbowl.  Unstoppable offense is what wins superbowls.  Look at what phenomenal defense got us in the 90's and the first decade of the 2000's.  Nada, my friend.  Screw that.

For me I’m not expecting a huge step back. I do understand that it’s hard to,expect Mahomes to be a top QB his “rookie” year.

Successful season for me would be to see Pat progress while showing flashes of greatness and to at least make playoffs.

Archived