Our LT situation - Eric Fisher.

Some draft site  said  that our LT Eric Fisher is going to get very expensive.

Mel kiper mock  and another draft site mentioned we might take LT because of this.

Do we keep Fisher long term?   Are you pleased with him?  Cost?

Interesting what Veach might be thinking sinking that much into LT.

He’s not going to be overpaid again or at least shouldn’t be. If you need an above avg LG to be good then you aren’t worth elite money. I don’t mind him getting a fair deal though. Continuity is a good thing so hopefully they can real a mutually beneficial deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t take a LT to groom at a possible replacement and swing tackle until then.

He’s not going to be overpaid again or at least shouldn’t be. If you need an above avg LG to be good then you aren’t worth elite money. I don’t mind him getting a fair deal though. Continuity is a good thing so hopefully they can real a mutually beneficial deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t take a LT to groom at a possible replacement and swing tackle until then.

Crap. That's another pick that doesn't go defense.

Crap. That's another pick that doesn't go defense.

LT is a premium position so I don’t mind taking them. We still should get two main contributors for the D in this draft and I imagine we will sign a couple vets on a 1 year prove it deal to fill the gap. We can’t fill all our holes in this limited draft but overall we are looking great for the future.

I think we’ll take a tackle too, but here is fishers rough cap hit in millions over the next few years (according to OTC).

2018 - 14

2019 -13

2020 - 12

2021 - 11.5

Not great, but not crazy for a LT that plays pretty much every snap. Could cut him next year with a cap hit of 5 mil, 2020 with a 2.5 mil hit, and $0 in 2021.

I think we resign him regardless. Seems there's a trend of LT needing longer adjustment periods coming out college. I think KC sticks with a known quantity for one more contract...I could easily see a swing tackle in the later rounds to develop this year.

Meh I don’t really agree and I can easily see Fisher being our LT till his contract is up in 2022. He’s gonna avg about $12M for the next 4 years. LTs are gonna start to get crazy money....for example take Nate Solder who just signed for an avg of over $17M! Or Russell Okung who is gonna get about $16M a year for the next few years!

Yes $12M sounds expensive but even the top OGs are getting $12-$13 now days.

Plus I hate the idea of spending our 2nd or a 3rd on a LT. never really know if those guys will pan out and is exactly why I like my LTs coming from round 1.

I say hard pass on a early pick on a tackle!

Fisher signed 3 years ago and he's still the 6th highest paid LT in the league. We were expecting the salaries to go up but it sure didn't. Even though I don't think we are getting our money's worth from Fisher he's still not the biggest problem on the team. He saves about 8 million in cap (5 dead money) next year and 9.5 savings with 2.5 dead money the year after. If they want to replace him I doubt it'll be done with a draft pick this year unless we strike gold with a late pick. Otherwise they might consider spending a significant 2019 pick on a LT but I still don't think he'll be our biggest problem in that period. 

I expect us to draft an OG this year considering that we still have Erving on the roster. They talked about how he fits well at OT so might be considering him starting somewhere in the future. Any guy we pick will simply be a PS guy with very little, if any, chance to make the roster in 2018 unless we release someone.

Fisher signed 3 years ago and he's still the 6th highest paid LT in the league. We were expecting the salaries to go up but it sure didn't. Even though I don't think we are getting our money's worth from Fisher he's still not the biggest problem on the team. He saves about 8 million in cap (5 dead money) next year and 9.5 savings with 2.5 dead money the year after. If they want to replace him I doubt it'll be done with a draft pick this year unless we strike gold with a late pick. Otherwise they might consider spending a significant 2019 pick on a LT but I still don't think he'll be our biggest problem in that period. 

I expect us to draft an OG this year considering that we still have Erving on the roster. They talked about how he fits well at OT so might be considering him starting somewhere in the future. Any guy we pick will simply be a PS guy with very little, if any, chance to make the roster in 2018 unless we release someone.

JMO it is because you are seeing the elite pass rushers also coming from the right side. now...RT tackles $$ is going up  IIRC from a chart I saw

JMO it is because you are seeing the elite pass rushers also coming from the right side. now...RT tackles $$ is going up  IIRC from a chart I saw

With the defenders getting bigger, stronger, and more athletic I think it was inevitable. Any weak link on the line is exploited very easily with the new structure and I think the raise in RT money will continue for a while. The only advantage LTs have is the blind side which will make less difference in the future. 

I’d say salaries did go up with just taking Solder and Okung for examples. Paying Fisher $12M is better than $17M for FAs. Just wait till the elite OTs come up for contract on their current teams. Gonna see some $20M contract IMO

Doesn't really make much sense at this point in time.  Fisher has 4 years left on his deal.  A draft pick would also be on a 4 year deal drafted this year and since we don't have a 1st there would be no 5th year option.  If this tackle were to pan out, they would probably be just as expensive, if not more expensive than fisher in 4 years and we would be in the exact same situation.  I can see this happening in 2 or 3 years, but not this year, especially when priority needs are on the other side of the football.

I’d say salaries did go up with just taking Solder and Okung for examples. Paying Fisher $12M is better than $17M for FAs. Just wait till the elite OTs come up for contract on their current teams. Gonna see some $20M contract IMO

Most definitely went up but not as high as expected. Only 2 LTs signed for higher contracts after Fisher did. Guys like Kalil, Reiff, Glenn all signed after Fisher for less amount and arguably playing better than him. 

We basically paid out of town FA money and some to Fisher with 2 years left on his rookie deal. 

Some draft site said that our LT Eric Fisher is going to get very expensive.

Mel kiper mock and another draft site mentioned we might take LT because of this.

Do we keep Fisher long term? Are you pleased with him? Cost?

Interesting what Veach might be thinking sinking that much into LT.

He's already been extended

He's already been extended

Of course he has. I agree.  This whole speculation about finding a replacement in the draft for Fisher on this thread is ridiculous.  The most important guy to protect their gigantic investment in Mahomes is the LT.  Fisher was a first round pick, and everyone knows that it takes an offensive lineman 5 years to reach their peak. We can't afford to expose Mahomes early in his career by having an inexperienced LT if Fisher goes  down to injury , so it wouldn't surprise me if we picked up a proven adequate older veteran LT who has been released after the draft, in case Fisher gets hurt, but we need too much on defense in this draft, guys who can play immediately if necessary, to take an LT high. I would be shocked.  If Fisher had a serious injury, we might use a first rounder next year to get a LT, but our draft need now is mainly defense.

My favorite thing about Fish and Schwartz is those guys always play. Backup T are usually a disaster. I remember that year, I think it was Marcus Spears or Simone, cane in when we lost Albert and did really well. But it is usually a hold your breath situation. Mahomes don’t need that.

Just glad when didn’t draft Luke Joeckel. Otherwise we’d definitely be picking a new LT again. Fisher was about as good as we could do in that awful draft. I don’t know if we truly know how good or bad our line really is. Alex sacked himself half the time and no one respected Alex going deep, despite his improvements last year. I think we will finally see the real situation with our line this season.

What a weird timeline we're in here.

Fisher is the epitome of average and is getting paid top 5 money on average.  He has literally cost the Chiefs an important game before and at this point, he's arguably at his ceiling.  They could stand to at least get cheaper, but could do much better.

Archived