2018 NFL Draft Thread

dksww

Draft is 2 weeks away, does anyone care yet?  LOL

I've just finally started looking at mocks, can't get too excited since we don't have a 1st round pick.

I could be wrong, but I think the Chiefs will just sit back and go BPA, mainly for defense, without any significant moves.

I'm sure they'll pick up an OL late in the draft.

I think they're looking at CB or Edge Rush 2nd round.

I found this on Arrowhead Pride where Kiper and McShay give us the first 3 picks:  https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/4/11/17225304/why-you-should-love-kiper-and-mcshays-chiefs-draft-picks

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we can still have a strong draft even without a first round pick, so I still have interest.

This is actually a quality year to be sans a 1st. Great depth for our biggest needs.

All the QBs getting drafted should push some quality defenders down into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

its weird not being able to watch the draft only having antenna TV  and very slow internet so I just watch the Chiefs Face Book Page and here. I'll take the Chiefs page with a grain of salt in their evaluations and I'l enjoy reading  people's reaction on  here while they set their hair on fire and jump off a cliff  because their guy is still on  the board.

its weird not being able to watch the draft only having antenna TV  and very slow internet so I just watch the Chiefs Face Book Page and here. I'll take the Chiefs page with a grain of salt in their evaluations and I'l enjoy reading  people's reaction on  here while they set their hair on fire and jump off a cliff  because their guy is still on  the board.

I actually think it will be on Fox this year

It seems that there's a lot less enthusiasm and excitement about the draft this year compared to past seasons.  Probably because of the Chiefs not having a first round pick and several big holes on defense makes it harder to predict what moves they might make.  Unless there's a major trade up, I won't watch the first round.  Who wants hours of talk about the next great QB for the Jets and/or Giants?

We are probably going to see 5 (possibly 6 being the Richmond kid) QBs going 1st round, with Mason Rudolph being the last.  May not be a 1st round talent, but that 5th year of control is huge so they'll get pushed up.  Other thing that could play in our favor is the premium placed on OTs and pushing up players who may only be average in the NFL.  I know we'd like to get a LG, but the more OL that go in the 1st the better.  I've heard a number like 7 OTs could go top 50.  A premium is put on edge guys, but you're probably only getting a situational guy in the 2nd round; someone with elite athleticism but little production who will need to be coached up, ala Lorenzo Carter.  I have to think we're looking at Corners and Safeties with our first pick.

Josh Jackson, Jaire Alexander, probably Isaiah Oliver, and maybe Mike Hughes won't be there.  However, we've made no secret of our admiration for Hughes.  Guys I'd see us either taking at 54 or trading up for include: Justin Reid, Ronnie Harrison, and Carlton Davis (assuming the other 4 mentioned haven't fallen).  I like Donte Jackson, but we need perimeter press guys when it comes to CBs, not slot.  

Also, I'd absolutely spend a early day 3 pick on Holton Hill, particularly if we go safety.  He's my man crush for this draft..getting 1st round talent with off the field issues, mainly smoking pot.  See Justin Houston....tell me how that's worked out.

Here are some excerpts I found on Twitter from Veach's pre-draft press conference today 4/20/18:

Matt Derrick @mattderrick 53m53 minutes ago

Trader Brett Veach ready to make a move into the first round, if a player the Chiefs covet is available late in the round. He's already letting other teams know the team may be ready to make a move Thursday night.

Matt Derrick @mattderrick 3h3 hours ago

Chiefs GM Brett Veach says the draft is important for depth. Pointed to the Eagles last season as an example of the importance of depth.

Matt Derrick @mattderrick 3h3 hours ago

Veach talks about Cameron Erving in a way the Chiefs used Zach Fulton in recent seasons. Can backup interior and also be a flex tackle.

Matt Derrick @mattderrick 3h3 hours ago  Veach says he feels good about Fuller and Nelson at corner of while acknowledging Amerson has been up and down. Really high in Keith Reaser and Will Redmond as young players with upside.

Veach has told teams they are prepared to make offers to get into 1st round:  http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-open-business-first-round-opportunity-develops/

Soren PetroVerified account @SorenPetro 3h3 hours ago

Brett Veach: “There is give and take between value and need. In the 4th round, you’re not going to take a 5th round OL instead of a 2nd round WR because you need him."

Brett Veach on if draft will slant towards the Defense: “We’re going to continue to add on both sides. You have to be careful thinking we are OK at any position. Guys can go down in camp."

Chiefs GM Brett Veach on Ragland: “We’re all excited about him and we think he can be a star. Him and Anthony Hitchens will be a dynamic duo.”

I like what Veach had done so far, I just hope he doesn't trade up just for the sake of trading up to try and prove himself and make a statement. Ego can be dangerous and blinding no matter who you are.

and I hope that he  doesn't just stay put  because he believes  the few picks we have will result in filled holes..over confidence in his talent evaluation..but yea I guess either way  it could be said his ego got the best of him

Archived