Chiefs signed RB Kerwynn Williams

Chiefs signed RB Kerwynn Williams, formerly of the Cardinals, to a one-year contract.

Williams started six games for the Cardinals last season but averaged just 3.6 yards per carry and one score over 130 touches. He'll compete with Spencer Ware, Charcandrick West, and Damien Williams for touches behind Kareem Hunt.

Happy with this signing. The running game is gonna be vital for us next season because teams won't be able to pack the box due to the receivers we'll have on the field. Both Damian and Kerwynn are different kind of backs. Damien is a very good receiver himself who runs good routes, and Kerwynn Is just a little pack of dynamite who can squeeze between small gaps and really make up the yards. The Pats have made this an artform for years, and I'm glad we appear to have taken note. 

Why not just put him on injured reserve. :blink:

I don't think we can do that just yet and there'a really no need for now as there's enough roster space. I'm guessing if he's not recovering as expected and won't be available by TC or the regular season they will release him. 

I think all the interest in RB means West is on the bubble and Ware is not going to be ready for 2018.

You really think in this day and age any one player would miss 2 seasons from this?

I mean, I could see him not being fully 100% until like week 5 or 6, but he won't miss the entire season.

You really think in this day and age any one player would miss 2 seasons from this?

I mean, I could see him not being fully 100% until like week 5 or 6, but he won't miss the entire season.

That is what I was thinking. They may anticipate him going on PUP for the first 6 games. I don’t know, but it feels like more than just completion for West.

I think all the interest in RB means West is on the bubble and Ware is not going to be ready for 2018.

Interesting.  I was unaware that Ware would not be ready.  I don't think the Chiefs could be actually unhappy keeping West because of his receiving and blocking ability.  Those are parts of West's game that I don't pay much attention to.  But he seems to be a waste of roster space as a runner.  But if Ware is not ready, then it becomes a major concern. I had been scratching my head over these RB signings under the assumption that there was little concern about Ware being fully back.

I’d rather move on from both of them. Neither impressed me

Not really sold on either guy but Ware looked to be a decent bruiser that got those extra couple yards and West was a nice compliment to Charles out of the backfield initially. I think both have upside but not really given us enough of a reason to pay them anything extra. If healthy I would keep Ware as those types are tougher to find. 

This signing tells me more about what the Chiefs plan to do on Offense than it does about Spencer Ware's recovery.

Lets just say that NFL teams were worried that Mahomes would struggle to adjust away from an air raid system, so Andy is just translating the air raid to the NFL.

Texas Tech ran quite a lot of dual RB packages and while although they would sometimes be lined up in a FB/RB kind of look, they both ran routes.

They're loading up on more pass-catching backs. I anticipate they will roll with 4 RB this year in result.

In yesterday's press conference the Chiefs stated they added so many RBs because in order to have depth at a position that deals with injuries often. 

They also said there were good RBs available so they figured why not sign them.

One angle to discuss is potential trade value for anyone not named Hunt. 

If a team has a significant RB injury in the pre-season they could look to KC for a trade partner for one of these guys like the 2 Williams guys.

This signing tells me more about what the Chiefs plan to do on Offense than it does about Spencer Ware's recovery.

Lets just say that NFL teams were worried that Mahomes would struggle to adjust away from an air raid system, so Andy is just translating the air raid to the NFL.

Texas Tech ran quite a lot of dual RB packages and while although they would sometimes be lined up in a FB/RB kind of look, they both ran routes.

They're loading up on more pass-catching backs. I anticipate they will roll with 4 RB this year in result.

That's true but really most of those concepts can be run out of many types of formations. That's one of the beauties of the air raid. Gonna be fun to watch reid load up kelce and the taller backup WRs inside with all verts.

It's more about being able to line up in many alignments without having to adjust personnel to maintain a fast paced tempo.

The backs will take on more of a hybrid role and the Chiefs will rely on fast pacing and a lot of different looks to catch the Defense off guard.

We're about to become one large track meet.

It's more about being able to line up in many alignments without having to adjust personnel to maintain a fast paced tempo.

The backs will take on more of a hybrid role and the Chiefs will rely on fast pacing and a lot of different looks to catch the Defense off guard.

We're about to become one large track meet.

This is great and all until we need to milk the clock. I do not want another Indy playoff game collapse because we forget to run the damn ball and keep the clock going.

Archived