Reid says team has no holes.

'https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/04/16/andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-roster-good-shape/

Andy Reid says Kansas City Chiefs lack roster holes to fix Andy Reid spoke at the beginning of offseason voluntary player workouts to reporters about the state of the Kansas City Chiefs roster with confidence.

One glance at social media accounts of Kansas City Chiefs fans make it clear that the team has several perceived needs on the roster, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Ask Andy Reid, the team’s head coach, and the tension is nowhere to be found.

Reid spoke to reporters on the opening of the team’s offseason voluntary player workouts and said that the team’s roster was ready to go right now if necessary.  After an offseason that included the loss of seven—yes, seven—defensive backs including the trade of Marcus Peters, the release of Ron Parker and a complete cleansing of the depth chart at cornerback, such a sentiment is very interesting.

Advertisement

STREAM NEW GIRL ON DIRECTV NOW
Stream the final season of New Girl Tuesday nights at 9:30|8:30c on FOX. No annual contract. No satellite needed.
Ad by DIRECTV NOW

Andy Reid says he believes the #Chiefs are one of the few teams that could step out and play right now. Don’t need to fix “holes” in draft. Basically, can take the best player regardless of position.

— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) April 16, 2018

Reid on what the Chiefs learned about their 2017 defensive scheme after self-scouting themselves: “I know how solid the scheme is. We’ve been a pretty good defensive unit over the years here. So I trust we’ll be right back on that and rolling.”

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) April 16, 2018

Yet instead of being quizzical about Reid’s comments, Chiefs Kingdom should take heart that the team’s leader is so confident in the players already in house. Maybe Kendall Fuller can live up to Peters’ looming shadow. Maybe the addition of Anthony Hitchens at the heart of the defense will excite the fan base as much as the team’s front office. Maybe Xavier Williams is a truly underrated player who can best what Bennie Logan brought to the team in 2017.

If the team is truly as stacked as Reid says, then the upcoming draft can truly be a grab bag of the best player available, allowing the Chiefs to simply take the best overall prospect on their big board without worrying about majoring on secondary players or other perceived needs. That’s a rare place to be.

I honestly think Reid believes this. Reid also believes in Bob Sutton.

If Sutton has two healthy pass rushers and two above average corners I believe in him too. At least I believe he’s proven his scheme can create a lot of big plays when he has those.

I don’t really see any glaring holes either, so I agree with the fat man. Our starting 22 are already in house, and I’d be willing to bet not a single 2018 draft pick starts this year.

I can see a FS or an OG starting day 1. I can see a CB, DE or a TE starting a game in the case of injury.

I don’t really see any glaring holes either, so I agree with the fat man. Our starting 22 are already in house, and I’d be willing to bet not a single 2018 draft pick starts this year.

I bet they do out of necessity. If reports are true, the Chiefs are looking for a CB who can come in and start. Makes sense.

I bet they do out of necessity. If reports are true, the Chiefs are looking for a CB who can come in and start. Makes sense.

If CB it will be because one falters early. Could be Fuller does not do well on the outside sonthey move or keep him in the slot etc. I think they groom one behind Amerson and have the ability to either resign him if he does very well or let him go for a comp pick if the development is good.

You don't think there will be an OG or CB on day two of the draft that is better than what's on the roster now?  Maybe, but it would be an unusual draft not to get at least one rotational player who sees playing time on day one, and there's a good chance for someone to break into the top 22.

All pre draft smoke screens but I still hope they focus on defense in the draft.

Definitely some smoke.. but I think Reid is smoking something... If he's not "tipping" his hand, it's because there is nothing to tip in my opinion. He doesn't have a ton of capital to make a major move. I'm with Mors, Andy probably believes that shit.

Definitely some smoke.. but I think Reid is smoking something... If he's not "tipping" his hand, it's because there is nothing to tip in my opinion. He doesn't have a ton of capital to make a major move. I'm with Mors, Andy probably believes that shit.

I really doubt any NFL coach, 1 week before the draft, is going to announce at a press conference what holes the team has.

No, but he doesn’t need to. Other teams know where the Chiefs are thin and vice versa.

Not really, unless they have scouts at KCs OTAs All they know is where they were thin last year(with the exception maybe being CB so far). A lot can change in an offseason, especially with a young team.

Not really, unless they have scouts at KCs OTAs All they know is where they were thin last year(with the exception maybe being CB so far). A lot can change in an offseason, especially with a young team.

How so? As a fan, I can tell you where other teams are thin. Surely at the very least the rest of the division rivals could as well.

I don't see what the big deal is...Reid can say whatever he likes about the team. You know after 5 years he will not say anything that can be construed as negative regardless of what he believes internally. In light of that, does anyone believe the Chiefs won't try to draft quality players to fill out and strengthen the roster? Speak up...

What is he going to say?

“Our CBs really suck so we have holes there. I don’t believe in Ford, Kpass or Dady so we have holes there. Witzman is atrocious and Ehinger isn’t the same guy after injury so we have a hole at LG”

Nah, the real experts in here say it for him.   :)

Archived