Do we really have a big need at CB?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to say without knowing for sure exactly what they plan to do with Fuller.

If they plan to keep him in the slot, Corner is the biggest need.

Fuller should be outside. Nelson is a solid player in the slot and it’s no coincidence our secondary improved as he got healthy. Amerson is a large question mark, but has proven he can be a good player. Plus Sutton’s scheme needs a big corner. Beyond this we’ve got nothing though.

The way our CBs played last year, I think we definitely need insurance. You need to try to have four guys capable of starting for small stretches. Don’t think we are proven to be there yet.

I’d guess they may go best player available at CB, S, OLB, DL, TE, or G with the first two picks and fill in the missed with later picks. We need depth and potential starters at all those levels. With all the RBs on roster and Watkins, I doubt we go for much offense.

I think the issue with Corner is they will have 1 corner under contract going into 2019.

I don't think Amerson stays beyond 2018 regardless of what he does, so they will take a corner somewhere in the 2-4 range and will probably take an additional Corner sometime Saturday.  I think they will be a little aggressive because I don't see a #1 between Fuller and Amerson.  Maybe they do, hell I don't know but the rumor mill seems to point towards the fact Veach feels they don't.

Fuller, Nelson and...?

Last year we had Peters, Nelson and...?

CB play was awful last year and it's basically a wash or slight step down this year depending on how you choose to view Peters vs Fuller. It's absolutely a massive need for us. The only position that looks decent on D is ILB, that is it.

Amerson 1 year deal and if we're banking on him looking better than the last two years that's a big unknown. CB is a huge need. And probably FS. Then pass rusher. Then dline. Depending on how they feel about Kpass. Hell they need it all. Bigg is right, ILB is the only position group i feel good about. I think they go DB high because that's where the value is within reach in 2nd round.

Don't we have bigger needs at OLB, Defensive End and Safety?

We can grab cb depth at 3r or 4th right? LSU CB?

The kid out of LSU is projected as an early 2nd rounder. Doubt he is there in the 3rd. I concur with others who are saying that CB is one of several primary needs. It is a deep position in the draft so Chiefs could go elsewhere with 2nd rounder and snag a corner in the 3rd...but he won't be top tiered.

Not sure if we have enough bodies at CB. We have 2 guys with injury history one of which played terrible in the end and another guy who has little experience outside. After that it's nothing. Assuming that Kpass and Ford get the nod over any rookie at OLB I think CB is a bigger need. 

I think CB and Safety are highest priorities but it all comes down to the draft board. If we think the answer is available later on I think they will shift priorities depending on who falls.

CB is by far the biggest need in my eyes!  It was a HUGE need last year even with Peters...So much so that we brought in Old man Revis!  

I look at it like this....

Fuller graded out as the highest "SLOT" CB in the NFL last year BUT he also had two very good outside CBs to help as well.  I'm sure the front office is hoping Fuller can continue that success as a outside guy BUT coming front a Slot guy to being a teams #1 CB on the outside should make some people nervous.  I do like Amerson but there is a reason why he came cheap and was on the open market.

Best case...Amerson plays better than our #2 guys last season and Fuller plays on the same or near level as Peters.

Worst case....Amerson doesn't improve over our #2 and Fuller shows he needs to be moved back to Slot!  

So even with a best case scenario the CBs really are not that much better than last season where as the worst case could be devastation!

I think grabbing a stud rookie is exactly what we need and I'd even be ok with a trade up

I agree with so many who have posted on this thread. Amerson, Fuller, and Nelson are fine, but what position group ever remains injury free?  There WILL be injuries in the secondary.  Maybe even a season-ender.  We need 5 CB's who can play decent CB in order to survive a full season.  We can pin our hopes on luck, or we can draft high for a corner or corners who are capable of starting from the get go.  But we need more decent corners.  I personally think a combination of one good draftee and a post draft signing of an older released veteran who can still hold the fort for a game or three would be the best combination.

Not sure if we have enough bodies at CB. We have 2 guys with injury history one of which played terrible in the end and another guy who has little experience outside. After that it's nothing. Assuming that Kpass and Ford get the nod over any rookie at OLB I think CB is a bigger need. 

I think CB and Safety are highest priorities but it all comes down to the draft board. If we think the answer is available later on I think they will shift priorities depending on who falls.

They don't have enough bodies at corner.

Here is what I see on the roster.

#1 CB Fuller - Only 6 starts last year and never played on the outside before. But 4 INTs last year.

#2 CB: Nelson - Only 7 starts last year and mostly used as a slot guy. 3 years 0 INTs.

#3 CB Amerson - Only 6 starts last year and half of a terrible secondary the year before.

I don't think we are set at all. That said, I am not saying we should go CB with our first pick. BPA. We have a whole other off season to get the D fixed. I don't think it happens this year.

I don't think Corner has to be the priority, but I think they should make a concentrated effort to get a #1 kind of guy if they can. 

They shouldn't blow up their draft board to do it, though.  If they can't get it done by parting with one of the 3rd rounders at most, just go BPA and try again next Spring.  It would be a major mistake to start parting with early 2019 picks when the draft will be a lot more top heavy.

I don't think Corner has to be the priority, but I think they should make a concentrated effort to get a #1 kind of guy if they can. 

They shouldn't blow up their draft board to do it, though.  If they can't get it done by parting with one of the 3rd rounders at most, just go BPA and try again next Spring.  It would be a major mistake to start parting with early 2019 picks when the draft will be a lot more top heavy.

MEH I just don't see them getting a true #1 CB in the 3rd round.  

For me I think what would it hurt to pair our 2nd and even both 3rds and move up to get that #1 CB?  Lets say they plan to take CB with one of those 3 picks regardless.. What do you get from two other picks vs moving up for a true starter 

They have more needs than just corner to be dumping off both 3's.

It's hard to expect to find a starter in the late 4th.

And that post never said "expect to get a #1 corner in the 3rd round"

Ok I think I read your post wrong...Are you saying you are ok with trading our 2nd+one of our 3rds to move up a little to grab a CB?

Ok I think I read your post wrong...Are you saying you are ok with trading our 2nd+one of our 3rds to move up a little to grab a CB?

Yeah.

Still plenty of higher end FS guys just sitting there, hoping to be signed.

Wouldn't have a problem burning a 3 if they follow it up with a FA pick up. A 3 should be enough to get them into the end of the first and if that's not high enough to land a corner than well it just wasn't meant to be.

I'm not even sure we need a FS. I know murray hasn't lit the world on fire but he is a phenomenal athlete (around 87% SPARQ score, for comparison sake marcus peters was right at 50% which is the NFL average for the position). Sometimes position changes take time.

Archived