Terez Paylor latest Mock draft. 4/21

Chiefswinitall

The Star’s seven-round Kansas City Chiefs NFL draft projection, version 2.0

By Terez A. Paylor

tpaylor@kcstar.com

April 21, 2018 12:45 PM

Updated 7 hours 56 minutes ago

Here it is, the second of three seven-round NFL Draft projections for the Chiefs. The draft starts Thursday. My third and final draft projection will come out that day. You can check out the first version here.

(A quick disclaimer: This mock draft was done with the use of the draft generator at Fanspeak.com. And a quick reminder — the Chiefs don't have a first-round pick because of the trade for Patrick Mahomes last April.)

SECOND ROUND

DL Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays State (54th overall): There will be a learning curve here, as Shepherd played his college ball at tiny Fort Hays State. But there’s no doubting his physical traits and tape. At a solidly-built 6 feet 4 and 315 pounds, Shepherd possesses outstanding athleticism and a real drive to get better. He’ll have the benefit of playing a handful of snaps this year behind the likes of Xavier Williams, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Chris Jones and Jarvis Jenkins before earning a starting role in 2019 as a shaded nose or penetrating three-technique. By the way, I’d like to welcome Shepherd to the 2018 All-Juice Team (coming Wednesday).

Today's top news by email

The local news you need to start your day

2:53
Chiefs GM Brett Veach's strategy on NFL Draft

Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach talked about the upcoming NFL Draft during a news conference on Friday, April 20, 2018. Shane Keyser

THIRD ROUND

OLB Obo Okoronkwo, Oklahoma (78th overall): I wasn’t kidding about this being a defense-first draft, folks. And let me tell you something ­— if Okoronkwo is on the board here, you rush to the podium and take him. He’s not the tallest guy at 6 feet 2, but he’s a thickly-built 253 pounds and when you turn on the tape, you’ll immediately fall in love with his effort, athleticism and flashes of advance pass-rush technique. Okoronkwo and Tanoh Kpassagnoh would be a fun duo to watch for years.

OT/OG Alex Cappa, Humboldt State (86th overall): The Chiefs don’t have many backup options at tackle, and given how long it takes to develop offensive linemen in the NFL, the Chiefs would be smart to draft one with the size (6 feet 7, 305 pounds), athleticism and nastiness of Cappa, who could turn into a starting option at either guard or tackle in a few seasons. He has the movement skills to fit in the Chiefs’ zone-heavy run schemes, and he also has a strong punch. His technique needs lots of work and he’ll need to acclimate to the speed of the NFL, but he’ll have time to develop in those areas with the Chiefs.

FOURTH ROUND

TE Durham Smythe, Notre Dame (122nd overall): The Chiefs are going to add additional depth to the tight end position, despite the recent signing of free-agent Tim Wright. Smythe, a strong blocker (yes!) with great size (6 feet 5, 257 pounds) could give the Chiefs the attached, inline tight end they need to make coach Andy Reid’s offense sing for the next several seasons.

1:20
Chiefs tight ends help kids plant vegetable garden at Luff Elementary

Kansas City Chiefs tight ends teamed up with Kansas City Community Gardens at Luff Elementary to help plant vegetables in the school’s gardens. The KCCG Schoolyard Gardens Program works with schools to establish gardens on school grounds. Shane Keyser

CB D.J. Reed, Kansas State (124th overall): Here’s another member of the 2018 All-Juice Team! Reed is not very big (5 feet 9, 188 pounds), but he tested very well athletically and you don’t have to turn on the tape for long to see this cat is a bonafide football player. He plays with a ton of enthusiasm, has some ball skills and can even chip in as a returner — an underrated need in 2018, given the Chiefs’ increased reliance on Tyreek Hill as an offensive threat. Reed projects as a slot corner but given how much teams throw, that’s basically a starting position.

SIXTH ROUND

S Siran Neal, Jacksonville State (196th overall): Neal is a plus athlete with good size (6 feet 1, 205 pounds) and some versatility at safety and cornerback. He’s a hitter with physicality who needs to refine his instincts and technique, but this is another guy who could be a defensive contributor in a year or two if he really commits to getting better.

SEVENTH ROUND

ILB Jermaine Carter Jr., Maryland (233rd overall): This guy isn’t huge (6 feet, 228 pounds), but he runs well for the position (4.68 40) and flashes some natural cover ability, which could be a real boon one day in the Chiefs’ nickel and dime subpackages.

DT McKay Murphy, Weber State (243th overall): The son of former baseball star Dale Murphy, McKay matches good size (6 feet 4, 295 pounds) with terrific speed (4.81 40) and raw strength (40 reps of 225). He really emerged as a senior, when he totaled 40 tackles and four sacks.

1:47
Here is the Chiefs 2018 Schedule

Here is the Kansas City Chiefs 2018 schedule, which includes five prime-time games. Jason Boatright

Suggested for you
  Comments  

Clear your browser history and you can view articles again.

I forgot they have the dumbest of paywalls.

I'm going to be that guy and say I actually don't think it's a bad mock. Just depends what you think of Shepherd.

Only pick I really don't care for is the TE, who I see is a one trick pony and 4th round is rather early for that.

I forgot they have the dumbest of paywalls.

I'm going to be that guy and say I actually don't think it's a bad mock. Just depends what you think of Shepherd.

Only pick I really don't care for is the TE, who I see is a one trick pony and 4th round is rather early for that.

I don't necessarily dislike most of the players just really dislike where he has them. The dlineman is fine but he's gonna need 2 years. The edge from OK is ok but ceiling may be a backup so 5th round is where I'd target him. The TE sucks. The corner is a midget and we already have 2 guys that can play slot. Just feels like he's picking guys he liked their energy with no plan.

D needs immediate help this year. This draft provides none. And wayyyyyy too many small school guys.

The DL is exactly what they look for. SPARQ guy. Just don't like he's already 24.

They will need a slot guy if they intend to play Fuller outside as Nelson is a UFA next year.

I don't like the edge guy either, so no disagreement. Same with the TE.

I've seen worse mocks.

Shepherd is slightly above average in sparq. For reference, KPass was a 1.1 sparq, which is about the 87th percentile among all current NFL dlinemen. 50% and 0.0 score is the NFL average.

Shepherd scored a 0.4 which is about the 64th percentile.

Nothing wrong with that as the average nfl defensive linemen is athletic to start with but he's not a heavy sparq guy or the physical freak kpass is. Kpass had the highest dline sparq score of any of the dline guys that went in the first 2 rounds.

He may be worth it but I'd be much more comfortable in the third. Probably have to switch to end in our system.

Agreed, getting the 3rd ranked DL in a shitty DL year means nothing. That's like bragging we got the best LT with Fisher in a horrible draft year. Have to stick you our board based on actual overall talent. The 9th ranked CB could be miles ahead of the 3rd ranked DL. Has to be BPA and need trumps in the case of ties.

Archived