What is Mahomes' floor?

In thinking about the upcoming season, the question that interests me/worries me the most is what is the "floor" for Patrick Mahomes?  Now that can mean a lot of things, but I take "floor" to mean "realistic worst case scenario, setting aside the possibility of major injury."

Honestly, I feel like the Denver game may have been close to his floor statistically---lots of yards but no passing or rushing TDs, team didn't score a ton of points (17 on offense), red zone struggles, a turnover.  So whatever that projects to for a whole year.

I feel like his career floor is, statistically, an Eli Manning or Jay Cutler type.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hard to say what the absolute worst any one player could be.

I mean, he could be Brady Quinn for all we really know.

I'm hoping he's a top 5 NFL QB within 2-3 years.  He'll never get that recognition while playing for the Chiefs, but at least statistically and with playoff wins, I'm hoping for top 5 in the NFL.

I hope and think that Denver game was it. A rookie which everyone claimed not to be ready against a tough defense. They rested some starters but still that's a solid rotation and Mahomes didn't really have the best group to play with either. 

hard to say what the absolute worst any one player could be.

I mean, he could be Brady Quinn for all we really know.

That's where the "realistic" caveat comes into play.  I'd like to think we know enough to say he won't be Quinn.

If you are statistically-minded at all, you can maybe think of this as maybe the "2 sigma" worst case scenario, or the 5th percentile.  Out of 20 tries, what's the 19th worst case?

That's where the "realistic" caveat comes into play.  I'd like to think we know enough to say he won't be Quinn.

If you are statistically-minded at all, you can maybe think of this as maybe the "2 sigma" worst case scenario, or the 5th percentile.  Out of 20 tries, what's the 19th worst case?

Or, put one more way, what's the floor but not the basement.

These are reasonable based on what data? 1 game?

Based on what we have heard from coaches, the decision to roll with him over Alex who did well his last year, the work ethic and all they saw in pre season through our the season leading him to start the one gsme and win it. Do you ever look at least positive on things?

Based on what we have heard from coaches, the decision to roll with him over Alex who did well his last year, the work ethic and all they saw in pre season through our the season leading him to start the one gsme and win it. Do you ever look at least positive on things?

I look at the facts. Everything we’ve heard about Mahomes has been very positive, but cmon, he’s PLAYED in one NFL football game. If he were on the Raiders and Raiders fans were talking the way Chiefs fans are, we’d be mocking them. Let’s stop acting like Mahomes has accomplished anything at all yet.

I look at the facts. Everything we’ve heard about Mahomes has been very positive, but cmon, he’s PLAYED in one NFL football game. If he were on the Raiders and Raiders fans were talking the way Chiefs fans are, we’d be mocking them. Let’s stop acting like Mahomes has accomplished anything at all yet.

Yeah. You sure showed them what a non homer you are! You probably get extra points for that in... uh... the non-existent non-homer point game.

it's just like when those fucking kids get all excited about opening christmas presents and i'm all like "stupid kids getting excited about a present... for all you know i took a shit in a box and wrapped it, you stupid little twats".

He has the first win by a drafted Qb in over 30 years for the chiefs. What do you have for facts that says he can't be good? Was he demoted? Did he not learn the system? Was he given up on as a 2nd string qb that was not given the reigns this year? If he truly was horrible do you think Reid and company would let Smith go? Reid did not bow down to the fan pressure by drafting Mcnabb over Ricky..... do you think he would do so now if Mahomes was not ready? What fact is there that says he will not succeed?

He has the first win by a drafted Qb in over 30 years for the chiefs. What do you have for facts that says he can't be good? Was he demoted? Did he not learn the system? Was he given up on as a 2nd string qb that was not given the reigns this year? If he truly was horrible do you think Reid and company would let Smith go? Reid did not bow down to the fan pressure by drafting Mcnabb over Ricky..... do you think he would do so now if Mahomes was not ready? What fact is there that says he will not succeed?

Did I say he wouldn’t be good? No. Did I say I wasn’t really excited to him play? No. Did I say I think he’ll suck? No. All I said was that 1 game doesn’t mean anything in the NFL, as encouraging as it may have been. I’m excited to see him play, but I’m pumping the brakes and am willing to wait and see what he can do prior to anointing him based on 1 game.

For fucks sake, it's a conjecture question. They can base a projection however the hell they want if they can give a remotely valid reason.

Floor: Shit sandwich

Ceiling: Tom Brady

Based on what factual data? They are QB's so I can make that comparison.

Archived